Skip to content

Party Composition

Hi all,

I'm a long time reader of this forum, first time poster.
I want to create a new save with a good aligned party, but looking at using different NPCs to change things up. I generally stick to the same old Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, etc.

I'm considering the following:
Ajantis
Xan
Imoen
Coran
Branwen
Charname ???

I'm looking for advise for the following:
- Is having Imoen & Coran advisable? I'd be dual-classing Imoen at some point.
- What class would you recommend for charname?
Quartz

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Sounds like a solid party.

It's totally worthwhile to take two thieves in BG1, especially when one is dual-classing to mage and the other is a great multi-class F/T. You won't have to worry about thieving issues while Imoen is getting her levels back. If you're gonna have Coran, I'd advise dual-classing Imoen at Thief level 6 just so she can hit level 9 in Mage.

Since the bases are all covered decently, you could do pretty much whatever with your charname. Bard might be a good option. Druid comes to mind. Or upgrade your party's ability to dish out physical damage by doing any warrior class you feel like.
    Very_BigSwordDonVillaOlvynChuru
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Not a bad party but a bit lacking when it comes to hitting people. Ajantis is mediocre in my opinion so charname as a warrior would be good.
    DonVillaQuartz
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I'd be fine with that party - running Ajantis and Coran as archers, with Branwen and a warrior protagonist on the front line. You could also consider swapping Branwen out for Yeslick when you reach the Cloakwood Mines, as he's a better frontline warrior. Alternately, with a ranged protagonist, Ajantis switches to melee.

My rule of thumb for BG1 parties is to have two melee tanks, at least one priest, at least one mage, and as many archers as you can fit. Thieves are crucial for a few dungeons and some of the city content; everywhere else, you're looking to fit them into one of the other roles mentioned.
    DonVilla
  • unseeingeyeunseeingeye Member Posts: 16
    I've just this past weekend started a new game with a party composition I've not run before, and I decided to make the PC a female elven Sorcerer (this is my first sorcerer, previously I'd only ever played a Kensai/Mage dual classed at level 9). The party I'm with right now is good / neutral aligned with Ajantis, Branwen, Minsc, Dynaheir and Safana. I know you plan to keep and dual class Imoen but since you typically bring her along, have you considered letting her go for another open spot to try out somebody less often or even never before used? Or is she too essential?

Branwen and Viconia are my favorite characters in the first game, but I'm tempted to drop Branwen for Yeslick once I come to that point. Like you, I had considered taking Xan but opted for the Minsc and Dynaheir package since I've never used them for a full playthrough.

As Quartz suggested, I would also recommend a fighter type PC, or maybe a Ranger class like an Archer? I believe an Archer would round out the party you have in mind very well.
    DonVilla
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited May 2019
    The makings of a decent party with excellent ranged capability. As suggested by @Quartz two ways to balance with your PC, a caster or a melee fighter since both those bases are light.

If PC is a caster:
    You will not have Coran early so Kivan makes a good substitute for him until Cloakwood. Kivan should tank and keep Ajantis ranged at first. Sounds weird I know but Kivan has hard hitting melee attacks, good AC due to his Dex and can wear heavy armour. He is your best choice for early melee until you get Gauntlets of Dex for Ajantis. Then switch roles and play Kivan as archer. Branwen can function well as slinger or off-tank but could be swapped for Yeslick later. Yeslick will get much better value out of the ogre gauntlets. I like this also for story reasons since Branwen and Kivan get their vengeance then leave the party soon after.

PC class recommendation: Avenger druid, Totemic druid, Shaman, Bard any kit.

If PC is warrior:
    PC to be the main tank with Ajantis as support. Party as above but consider keeping Branwen for her higher level spell casting and Tempus kit abilities which complement well. You don't really need Kivan in this scenario but he is certainly an excellent NPC ranged or melee. It would be an option to rotate some NPCs in this slot instead, esp Neera and Rasaad if you want to do their quests. Taking either or both of these to the Gnoll stronghold after Nashkel is a good option because the dex gauntlets are so useful and the length of the travel "runs down the clock" for their dialogues needed to open the quests. You won't need Dynaheir so leave her in the pit >:)

PC class recommendation: Dwarven defender, Barbarian, Berserker, Paladin any kit.
    GallengerDonVillaQuartz
  • DonVillaDonVilla Member Posts: 3
    I've just this past weekend started a new game with a party composition I've not run before, and I decided to make the PC a female elven Sorcerer (this is my first sorcerer, previously I'd only ever played a Kensai/Mage dual classed at level 9). The party I'm with right now is good / neutral aligned with Ajantis, Branwen, Minsc, Dynaheir and Safana. I know you plan to keep and dual class Imoen but since you typically bring her along, have you considered letting her go for another open spot to try out somebody less often or even never before used? Or is she too essential?

Branwen and Viconia are my favorite characters in the first game, but I'm tempted to drop Branwen for Yeslick once I come to that point. Like you, I had considered taking Xan but opted for the Minsc and Dynaheir package since I've never used them for a full playthrough.

As Quartz suggested, I would also recommend a fighter type PC, or maybe a Ranger class like an Archer? I believe an Archer would round out the party you have in mind very well.

I did consider dropping Imoen, but figured she suits the party well once dual-classed, as she offers another ranged option and another mage option. Otherwise, I would likely have to pick up another mage.
  • DonVillaDonVilla Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2019
    The makings of a decent party with excellent ranged capability. As suggested by @Quartz two ways to balance with your PC, a caster or a melee fighter since both those bases are light.

If PC is a caster:
    You will not have Coran early so Kivan makes a good substitute for him until Cloakwood. Kivan should tank and keep Ajantis ranged at first. Sounds weird I know but Kivan has hard hitting melee attacks, good AC due to his Dex and can wear heavy armour. He is your best choice for early melee until you get Gauntlets of Dex for Ajantis. Then switch roles and play Kivan as archer. Branwen can function well as slinger or off-tank but could be swapped for Yeslick later. Yeslick will get much better value out of the ogre gauntlets. I like this also for story reasons since Branwen and Kivan get their vengeance then leave the party soon after.

PC class recommendation: Avenger druid, Totemic druid, Shaman, Bard any kit.

If PC is warrior:
    PC to be the main tank with Ajantis as support. Party as above but consider keeping Branwen for her higher level spell casting and Tempus kit abilities which complement well. You don't really need Kivan in this scenario but he is certainly an excellent NPC ranged or melee. It would be an option to rotate some NPCs in this slot instead, esp Neera and Rasaad if you want to do their quests. Taking either or both of these to the Gnoll stronghold after Nashkel is a good option because the dex gauntlets are so useful and the length of the travel "runs down the clock" for their dialogues needed to open the quests. You won't need Dynaheir so leave her in the pit >:)

PC class recommendation: Dwarven defender, Barbarian, Berserker, Paladin any kit.

I was planning to take Kivan, until I reach Coran as well. And dropping Branwen for Yeslick seems like a viable option.
    I didn't consider rotating one slot, but this seems like a very good option at the start.

Considering all the advice above, I'm thinking a fighter kit would be my best option. Perhaps I'll try the Dwarven Defender, as this is something I've never tried before.

I eventually decided on a Half-Orc Berserker. Seems like a fun, deadly choice.
    Post edited by DonVilla on
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Pingwin wrote: »
    Not a bad party but a bit lacking when it comes to hitting people. Ajantis is mediocre in my opinion so charname as a warrior would be good.

Why do you consider Ajantis to be merely mediocre? With dex gauntles he's a very decent warrior and party leader because of high natural str, con and cha.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    Pingwin wrote: »

Why do you consider Ajantis to be merely mediocre? With dex gauntles he's a very decent warrior and party leader because of high natural str, con and cha.

His STR and CON are decent but nothing special. Going from 17STR to 18/01STR gets you an additional +2 damage which is quite a significant difference so characters like Kivan or Minsc will be quite a bit better than Ajantis when it comes to dishing out damage in melee.

His DEX is too low for a character who is going to be in the frontline. Fixable of course with the dex gauntlets which is fine so long as charname doesn't need them too.

When I say he's mediocre, I'm talking about using him as a tank/melee damage dealer - he can't hit really hard like Minsc, Shar-Teel, or Kivan, he can't absorb damage like Kagain, and he needs the gauntlets of dex if we wants to avoid getting hit.

Obviously he's got his other paladin abilities which contribute to his overall value in the party, and his 17 CHA is obviously good (although the party under discussion already contains Imoen who has 16CHA so he's only marginally better on that front) but none of that really helps in combat.
    Quartz