Skip to content

Must play mods

Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
I've been playing BG since the release and EE since a few months, and I'm getting kind of fed up with it. BG1 is different because of the huge map, but SoA (and ToB even more) get old soon. I played Tutu back in the day, but never installed any mods.

So what are some mods I absolutely have to try? Do I need to start a new game after installing mods?
I'm looking for new are edited class kits, magic, tougher enemies (more liches and dragons preferably), new items, new quests... Whatever content is new is fine with me. At this point I'd even be open to installing the 15-year old paladin NPC mod.

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    for npcs i'd say isra and xan.

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    There are many fine mods, most of which it is better to install before starting a game. Pay attention to the readmes & threads concerning install orders. Here are a few which I have enjoyed on several occasions. Usually my installs contain at least 30...

BG1

BG1 NPC Project
    BG1 Mini Quests & Encounters

BG2

Quest Pack
    Wheels of Prophecy
    Kivan NPC
    Banter Packs
    Colours of Infinity

Both

Verr'sza NPC

Might & Guile
    Tome & Blood

Spell Revisions
    Item Revisions
    Tweaks Anthology

Sword Coast Stratagems (Don't install too many difficulty altering options first time out!)
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2019
    Content mods that integrate seamlessly into the game, in terms of both gameplay and narrative:
    NPC Strongholds
    Imoen "Romance" (includes a great friendship as well!)
    All IEP mods / Banter Packs
    All Quest mods by Kulyok & Jastey
    Tower of Deception
    Fading Promises
    Xulaye

Wheels of Prophecy does wonders for ToB, but you have to be prepared to do some workarounds should bugs arise.

All of Lava's quest mods (Colours of Infinity) have great writing as well, their look & feel however is clearly distinct from the base game so you'll have to decide whether that's what you;re looking for (personally I do enjoy them).

The Creme de la Creme of NPC mods (I would generally advise against taking more than two of those at any given time, as much of their content naturally focuses on vanilla NPCs):
    Xan, Isra, Adrian, Keto
    Post edited by Isewein on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i really would not recommend wop. it can cause issues and it hurts the pacing before the final fight. heck i don't recommend the ascension related mods in general. i have had nothing but issues at the end of all my tob runs since installing those mods. unlike the first full run i did where i was able to end the game with no issues.