Skip to content

PC Gamer Article

AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
There's a PC Gamer article where the CEO of Larian talks a bit about BG3. He talks a little bit about their communications with Wizards, as well as the upcoming game's story and combat system.

Here's the link:
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/
Ravenslightlolien[Deleted User]

Comments

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    They also said they are doing something that hasn't been done before.

For all we know it could be first person turn based combat. :P
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited June 2019
    Well we know it's based on D&D 5th edition, and I think the top-down perspective is also pretty safe to assume based on the developer's previous games. I don't think they've specified whether it's turn-based or real-time with pause, but their decision to remove missing mechanics suggest to me that they're doing it RtwP, since removing whiffing from turn-based would make no sense. But I could be wrong on that one, it's just the hunch I got from reading the article.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Adul "help make the game a more faithful sequel to BG"

Well that's already impossible. Larian has confirmed that its not a sequel to the existing BG story. Despite their clickbait title.
    megamike15Arcalian
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    and they said they had beeen working on this since 2017. so unless this is a tides situation where the combat has not beeen set in stone yet. your not changing anything.
    ThacoBellkanisatha
    Well, it's not like they'd have a lot to work with if they tried to continue the story from the end of ToB. It's either a new story or no BG3, in my opinion.

And I'm not deluding myself thinking I'm definitely changing their minds. But if they face a backlash or actually do change their minds, the game mechanics could still possibly be reworked. We know nothing about how it's implemented right now, so we can't definitely state either way whether or not a change on that level is possible.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I mean for it to be 5e it has to be set over a hundred years later, I don't really know if diehards would've been pleased by any attempt to extend the Bhaalspawn saga specifically...it kinda just makes sense to center Baldur's Gate as a city and tell more and different epic stories there IMHO
    scriver
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2019
    They implied they'd tweak it. Not drop misses ENTIRELY.

It's not like every computer adaptation of D&D ever hasn't altered and adapted the rules to make them work better as games.
    They implied they'd tweak it. Not drop misses ENTIRELY.

Hmm, I'm not sure that they did imply that. The article used the term "put on the chopping block" when referring to adapting D&D mechanics, specifically attacks missing. But maybe you're right, as it's possible that it's the writer's fault for misconveying the message. I guess we'll have to wait for them to clarify or show more of their combat mechanics.
    scriver
    edited June 2019
    It's hard to watch the passion exuded here:

...and think this is going to be a horrible butchery of our adolescence complete with midi-chlorians. Then again, it's not like Wizards hasn't made some damn goofy licensing decisions in the past. Should be interesting finding out!

The focus on party mechanics makes me wonder what they have cooking.
    GenderNihilismGirdleAduldunbarStummvonBordwehr
    I mean for it to be 5e it has to be set over a hundred years later, I don't really know if diehards would've been pleased by any attempt to extend the Bhaalspawn saga specifically...it kinda just makes sense to center Baldur's Gate as a city and tell more and different epic stories there IMHO

For the most part, I agree with this. But for the love of all that is holy, DON'T CALL IT BG3. Its not a sequel, it has no connection to the previous saga. Stop lying to all your potential customers and stop marketing it as the next game in the saga. What even is it supposed to be the "Third" game to?
    WarChiefZekeArcalianSorcererV1ct0r
    I've noticed in these interviews that they don't really make a huge talking point of referencing the first two games. They mention them here or there, but not really to say that the third one would be similar to them in any way. Instead, they keep talking about adapting D&D 5th edition in general terms. Makes me wonder if they really have just slapped the Baldur's Gate title on there for the name recognition and standard of quality it carries. It's still early to tell, but something smells fishy about it.
    It's almost as if these were businesses who wanted to make money!
    Balrog99
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    ThacoBell wrote: »

For the most part, I agree with this. But for the love of all that is holy, DON'T CALL IT BG3. Its not a sequel, it has no connection to the previous saga. Stop lying to all your potential customers and stop marketing it as the next game in the saga. What even is it supposed to be the "Third" game to?

I have no doubt that despite not being a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga we'll still see lots of references and nods and details from BG I and II, I mean elven and dwarven NPCs could still be alive and around, y'know? The games are Baldur's Gate I and II, not Bhaalspawn I and II, so I personally don't have the problem I see some people stuck on here. Like if Black Isle had never died and kept making BG games and eventually moved off the Bhaalspawn arc but kept the setting of the city of Baldur's Gate I wouldn't have faulted them for keeping the name, and that's how I feel about it here. I understand the problem people are stuck on with it having to be a direct continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga for them to be comfortable, I just don't have that need for that particular security blanket (and in fact would've probably been less sure Larian were going to do a good job if they were continuing the Bhaalspawn saga rather than doing new stories they could build from the ground up in the city of Baldur's Gate).

Yep. I don't understand why people are obsessed with details that truly will not matter in terms of this being a good RPG or not.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    It's not a strawman as I didn't say that you were complaining that the title issues effect the quality of the game. I'm merely stating that it's a strange thing to get hung up on. Wasteland 2 had nothing to do with the original protagonists. Nor have Fallout sequels. Nor have numerous sequels. Insisting that a game title follow some kind of personal made up rule of yours or else it's some "ethical" violation is just laughable frankly.

And it speaks to you obsessing about things that don't matter. At the end of the day, all that matters is if it's a quality game or not. You have already previously laid out your framework where a BG3 can't be made because you can't continue the original protagonist's journey and you also can't make a "3" that doesn't continue that protagonist's journey.

Good luck with that kind of outlook dude. It's not going to serve you well.
    GenderNihilismGirdleTakisMegas
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

Ethics aside,

ThacoBell
    I agree with @ThacoBell that when you make a sequel there's an implication that you'll carry over something from the original games. In my opinion it doesn't have to be the story and the characters, it could also be gameplay mechanics, narrative themes, or just the general atmosphere of the game. If it's a completely unrelated game in the same genre, I do think it's dishonest to label it a sequel.

If it turns out it has nothing to do with BG1 & BG2, it could still be a decent game. Personally I might even play and love it. But it would still be dishonest marketing, which would be a bad look for both Larian and Wizards.
    ThacoBellRavenslightAndreaColombo
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Until they actually reveal the gameplay I will assume that it will be a baldurs gate in name only, which will rape your nostalgia
    Arcalian[Deleted User]
    @DinoDin "It's not a strawman as I didn't say that you were complaining that the title issues effect the quality of the game. I'm merely stating that it's a strange thing to get hung up on. Wasteland 2 had nothing to do with the original protagonists. Nor have Fallout sequels. "

I think its hilarious that people keep brining up unrelated franchises as examples that somehow exhonerate BG3. Wasteland and Fallout never had an established pattern of following the same story. Baldur's Gate DID. They are not equivalent. We have two games and two epansions now that are about the same character and tell a singular story. Its BECAUSE this pattern has been established (for 25 years!) that the new games title is so problematic.
    But yeah, if you don't think honesty in the games industry is important, well, that's all on you.
    Arcalian
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    fallout atlest 1,2 and nv were more about the setting. they change in between games and you seee it grow over time.

if anything thing the Bethesda fallouts should be a better example. 3 and 4 are so disconnected from both themselves and the west coast games they may as well be reboots.
    ThacoBell
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 326
    I wonder if this announcement has anything to do with BG2EE not being back in the playstore yet?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Ethics aside, this could potentially kill BG as we know it. If it does well, WotC will probably block any new content that isn't directly related to the new game. And if the game does poorly, WotC will probably block all BG content for the forseeable future.

If the game did very poorly, I agree that might dissuade WotC from licensing new material. However, I don't think that the outlook if it does well would be bad. It would seem more likely to me that a successful game would lead to more ventures both by Larian and others. Other companies would be keen to take advantage of a growing genre, while WotC would see the potential benefits to them of wider recognition for D&D. There's a huge amount of material available for WotC to exploit and plenty of room to try out variations on whatever Larian do.

If you're thinking more narrowly about the future of the existing BG franchise based on the 2nd edition, I agree not much can be expected there - but then that's been the case for quite a few years. WotC have taken the line for a long time that they don't want to develop material based on older D&D editions. Beamdog did well to find a niche where they did allow that, but I don't think that niche was ever likely to grow ...
    @DinoDin "It's not a strawman as I didn't say that you were complaining that the title issues effect the quality of the game. I'm merely stating that it's a strange thing to get hung up on. Wasteland 2 had nothing to do with the original protagonists. Nor have Fallout sequels. "

I think its hilarious that people keep brining up unrelated franchises as examples that somehow exhonerate BG3. Wasteland and Fallout never had an established pattern of following the same story. Baldur's Gate DID. They are not equivalent. We have two games and two epansions now that are about the same character and tell a singular story. Its BECAUSE this pattern has been established (for 25 years!) that the new games title is so problematic.
    But yeah, if you don't think honesty in the games industry is important, well, that's all on you.

There's nothing dishonest here though. You're just insisting that game companies follow some personal rule of yours. They said -- at launch -- that it's a new adventure. That's not dishonesty.
    @DinoDin "
    There's nothing dishonest here though. You're just insisting that game companies follow some personal rule of yours. They said -- at launch -- that it's a new adventure. That's not dishonesty."

NOW RELEASING BALDUR'S GATE 3!!!*

*this game isn't actually baldur's gate 3. in fact, its not related to the previous games at all.

No, that's textbook false marketing and dishonesty.
    Arcalian
    Not really. It's more you declaring it is and insisting we all agree with your wobbly definitions.
    DinoDin[Deleted User]
    Get a grip dude.
    It's also, ahem, dishonest to characterize the game as "not related to the previous games at all". When they've said in interviews that it will have numerous lore, locations, possibly NPC's and other nods to the previous games.
    I think (hope) we all understand that it's fine to disagree. We can all have different opinions about the ethics of game marketing and whatever else, and still get along without a breakdown bringing us back to our tribal roots.
    semiticgoddess[Deleted User]Arcanis