Skip to content

NWN Player Bic File to HTML

I wanted a tool that could take a bic and print out the level progressions for some of my old builds so I wrote this tool / website. It uploads a bic and reverse engineers the class, abilities, feat, skill and spell progressions by level.

It is built using ruby on rails and the nwn-lib gem. I'm sure it still has some bugs and I need to work on monks and rangers bab/attacks a bit more but it should work for most builds. It is also fugly and output using html tables, but hey, I'm a backend dev.

The url is https://nwnboneyard.herokuapp.com/nwn/creature/bic

This is just a start. I could see this turning into an on-line editor for gff files with some love and time. If enough folks are interested, I could open up the source for community dev.

If you enjoy this tool, checkout my pw called 'The Boneyard' and if you see me say hi - Seed.

Comments

• AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Tried it, but it timed out on my pc. I will keep trying, though.

I think this is a smashing idea! Now, I don't know anything about translation of .bic files, but do you know if there is there a way to read inventory? Essentially to grab a snapshot of the character? That would be the shizzle!

• dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    @Atrophiederic that should be possible. With those tools I know (from @niv or @Liareth), it's already possible to convert a bic file. This file could be read and so on...
  • SeedSeed Member Posts: 6
    Yes, it should be showing the entirity of the character sheet + the equipped inventory. I didn't list out the non-equipped inventory, but that would be as simple as sending that list into the display class.

Here's one I uploaded - https://nwnboneyard.herokuapp.com/nwn/creature/bic/5cd424e08724de00049b38c0

It's an heroku app and free, so if not actively being used, it will shut down. I'm sure there are a few bugs too for a few classes that I need to work through.
    I fixed some bugs in the display of item properties and things are running smoother. Thanks to those who have been using this.
    Patched up some more display issues related to missing 2da entries for hak-pak items. Thanks again all who are using for uncovering these bugs.
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    Could something similar be done to get all the items a character has in their inventory from a bic file and display it on a web page?