Skip to content

So what's next for BGEE and BG2EE?

I'm talking about new features, content and bugfixes. Will there be any to these two games? Or are they pretty much a done deal?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Nothing is next, they are pretty much a done deal. With luck the forthcoming BG3 will drum up enough interest in BG/BG2 to make additional DLCs cost-effective, but my understanding is that as things stand it just isn't cost effective for Beamdog to produce new BG/BG2 content. Unless there is an update on that?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well, Beamdog still needs to fix the SoulTaker plot hole for BG2. We should keep asking for it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Ask all you like and I hope you guys are right that it is possible!
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    If they continued to patch the existing material for the forseeable future, or however long it tales to perfect it, I’d be more than satisfied.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I would definitely pay for expansions/DLC, especially if they bring story content and integrate SoD more seamlessly rather than just add more NPCs.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    In the december or january Q&A Trent said that bringing the SoD NPC’s into BG2:ee isnt viable.

I have for this month Q&A asked for a clarification on the viable part. Is it legal or finanicial? Is it WoTC or sales prospects that is holding it back.

I would also gladly pay for an expansion. Once patch 2.7 is done (or at the same time) an DLC should be viable imo? A good many people would pay, and the time spend patching the IE must make the roadmap towards a DLC that much straighter... But I guess my wishfull thinking does get the better of me when it comes to BG
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    With all this current hype around Baldur's Gate 3, I'm sure a new DLC for BG2 would be much more financially viable now. The question is, are they legally allowed to do it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    With all this current hype around Baldur's Gate 3, I'm sure a new DLC for BG2 would be much more financially viable now. The question is, are they legally allowed to do it.

Unless they had to write up an entirely new contract, yes they are. The agreement between them and WotC is that they can add new content and fix bugs, etc. They just aren't allowed to re-write existing story or remove content.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Then let's hope they make a smart move and not waste this opportunity.