Skip to content

How to Migrate 1.69 Server Vault to 74

It was mentioned in the EE Readme that the instructions could be found on the Beamdog Forums, but I've searched high and low and can't find nary a mention of it. Does anyone have some insight on how to transfer the servervaults from 1.69 to 74 (EE)? Thank ye.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello!

We’ll see what we can do regarding publishing instructions on our forum about transferring servervaults from 1.69 to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/05/may-18-livestream-recap.html
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    That's good to hear, and thank you for some feedback. I've posted everywhere, contacted Beamdog support (who told me to go to Trello), submitted Trello help desk tickets (haven't gotten a response after 2 weeks), posted in a number of threads, researched threads, googled it, youtube-ed it, and came up with a bucket full of nothings. Well, not nothing, there was something from the PW FAQ, but it discussed how it would make the transfer in theory. So I've been getting a little frustrated. But maybe Beamdog isn't at that stage yet with this and I'm jumping the gun. And if so, that's fine.

Not sure where to find everyone's public cdkeys if they haven't logged in, or how to make that transfer if they already did. The instructions I did find are a little vague and somewhat confusing. People like me need are old and dense and need a step by step approach. And trying to do it manually is cumbersome when there are hundreds of player names in the old server vault.
  • PhannSilverthornPhannSilverthorn Member Posts: 3
    I am working on moving my persistent world as well and have 100's (1000's if all our players came back) of accounts to move, I am very interested in strategies to manage something of this magnitude. I did get something working with the default CD Key method. I am testing the sticky player setting to see what that looks like.
    P
  • ricoyungricoyung Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2018
    I don't know if this is any help but found this on beamdog.net...I think or maybe from a search...not sure
    Anyways I had posted this at a 1.69 server forum I play that is hesitant to upgrade to EE because of heavily modded/scripted server (dev there thinks would be a major undertaking) so the server is going to wait some. Anyways here's one item I found:

So, how are server admins going to translate from 1.69 to NWN:EE easily?

The server admin copies their 1.69 servervault to the new NWN:EE user directory ~/nwn/oldservervault.
    The server admin creates the “oldservervault.2da” file in ~/nwn/override that contains the player ID / CD Key pairs of their 1.69 users (such as the following):

2DA V2.0

Player CDKey169
    0 trilobyte USVE763A
    1 trinketpony UCDEFGHJ
    2 trottingkrip URERLADE

When a client logs in to a server, we will provide you with the public NWN:EE CD key. But, we will also provide (if the user has moved their nwncdkey.ini into their ~/nwn folder) the 1.69 key to the server, at startup, along with the player’s name.

When nwserver/NWN:EE sees a user log in with a new CD Key (and has no characters built), but matches the player name in the oldservervault list, we will look at their 1.69 Key and verify that it is the same as the one that was passed in. If they are the same, we will copy the files from oldservervault/trottingkrip to servervault/(NWN:EE CDKey), and then disallow those files to be copied ever again.

Example of how this works. Trottingkrip used your server extensively before NWN:EE to create Deekin’s cousin Beekin (trottingkrip is terrible at naming characters), and now you’re running a NWN:EE server alongside the 1.69 server to allow people to migrate as they see fit.

So, trottingkrip logs in to the NWN:EE server (which he can see from the in-game server browser that accesses (yet-to-be-determined-URL-for-master-server). His NWN:EE public CD Key is UKJKHDWE, and 1.69 public CD Key: URERLADE.

We examine the folders:
    ~/nwn/servervault/UKJKHDWE has no characters.

But there is a character here:
    ~/nwn/oldservervault/trottingkrip/Beekin.bic

Since trottingkrip is the player’s name, and they’ve given their 1.69 public CD Key, nwserver can copy the .bic characters from oldservervault/trottingkrip to servervault/UKJKHDWE, and then changing the file extension of the oldservervault characters to ensure they can’t be automatically copied again (but we leave the files there, just in case you need to restore a specific user’s copy ability).

~/nwn/servervault/UKJKHDWE/Beekin.bic
    ~/nwn/oldservervault/trottingkrip/Beekin.xbc
    Post edited by ricoyung on
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for that, but I already have that part. I was looking for a dumbed down dwarven version for us simple folk for the working day. You know, a step-by-step guide. Like , Step 1., Make good coffee, Step 2., Contemplate, Step 3. Find Old Server Vault, and so on....
    edited May 2018
    LOL Same here mate! ;) which was my part?... Step 52?
  • SarmanosSarmanos Member Posts: 16
    Anyone know how the migration handles players who would use multiple account IDs?
  • Chokra_BroodslayerChokra_Broodslayer Member Posts: 5
    This seems quite complicated or I'm overthinking it. I don't know how to create a .2da file or how I would even go about doing so. I wish there was a simple way to do this. It looks like I'm going to have to do it player by player but I'm not always on the server when they are able to log in.
    edited June 2019
    @Chokra_Broodslayer... A short back story first: I was given an old 1.69 PW mod by the creator, I wanted to make it play in EE and contacted the dev for permission to try (he was still living :D)...I got the Okay, the dev told a friend/player of his my plans, the player beat me to it and got it up and running (persistent) in 2 days! lmao. the rug right out from under me! fushing feef! JK of course.Im happy about it.

Anyways he decided to start with a fresh/wiped vault (thus removing above step) all the legacy players (5 maybe) agreed but I really wanted my vault back because of many reasons...the new host said no problemo,,,, now I am not sure but I think he just took my archived vault folder and copied to the new vault-not sure though- but I have my old vault back now and happy...so if you don't have like a gazillion players wanting their vault back at once, and think this "manual" method might work for you, I could axe the host exactly what he did for clarification.
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2019
    you take your 1.69 cdkey file, it is found in your nwn folder, and place it in the nwn folder in your EE documents folder. log into the server you play on with each login name. you can go to the .ini file and just go to login name line and erase the default, until you have loaded each login vault.

this will cause each login vault to populate the EE vault and give access to all characters no matter which login you choose to use

hope thats dwarfy enough

@Chokra_Broodslayer @Sarmanos @Grizzled_Dwarflord @PhannSilverthorn

its all done by each player