Skip to content

[Known] Multiplayer Pause-Lock Bug

HorchataHorchata Member Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
I'm trying to play though BG:EE with a friend and about 50% of the time when he pauses and unpauses, my screen remains greyed out and my characters are still stuck like I'm paused. My friend successfully unpauses and fights or moves, and I see all of his actions in the dialogue box but my characters are unresponsive and he tells me they just stand there. During this time I can't see any animations but sound files continue to play such as spells being cast. The only ways I have found to break the pause is to either close the game and restart, or for my friend to initiate dialogue. Anyone else have this issue and possibly know a fix?
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• nertanefnertanef Member Posts: 7
    I'm now having the same issue since installing the newest expansion. I'm guessing you're also hosting the game?
  • HorchataHorchata Member Posts: 3
    I'm not actually, my friend is hosting.
    Sorry, I misread your post. Yeah, whoever is hosting doesn't have the issue. It's always the joiner. So I'm thinking it's a desync of sorts.

I don't know how many people have reported on the bug but when it becomes apparent again I would implore you to test it a few times with the following conditions.

1. have yourself in his game but not in control of any characters and see if the same issue occurs
    2. alter the options settings regarding pausing. (my friend just informed me it happened on rest and other issues such as when i initiated a dialogue so i'm unsure if that would do anything)

• HorchataHorchata Member Posts: 3
    It seems to have something to do with the video clip played after the main character's death. We played for half an hour with no issues, then the main character (host) died and we reloaded. After that nearly any pause or zone transfer caused the issue so we both restarted and the problem went away. A while later we tested it out by making him die and it broke it all over again.
    I'll try that out and see if that's the case
    we had the same issue after main character died. pausebug on load etc

so perhaps somewhere in the baldur.ini file is the answer?
    So if any devs see this, we played for an hour without an issue until the main character died. We then reloaded and pausebug issue/desync occured immediately. Only way we've found to make this work is to close the game clients respectively and reload bg.exe
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited April 2016
    Nice work on determining the cause @Horchata and thanks for the confirmation @nertanef

I've raised internally as ticket #22169

The best way to bring to our attention is outlined at http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs so please feel free to help out in future.
    Thanks
  • adamroadamro Member Posts: 1
    Having the same issue. Read below:

Bottom Line Up Front:
    I was the host of an online game with one other player joining via wifi. After my PC’s death, quicksaving caused the other online player’s game to pause, and was unable to unpause. The pausing issue also seemed to occur when entering a new zone. As the game organizer, I was unable to unpause her game unless I entered into dialogue with some other NPC. Is there a fix to this?

Extended Edition:
    My wife and I chose Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition to spend our nights. I know, I know, perhaps this demonstrates a lack of imagination. Or does it! HA!

We each downloaded our copy of the game from Steam. She has a Mac and I have a Windows 10 laptop. No issues whatsoever getting a game started up online. We both rolled new characters and dove in to play the story together. I hosted the game. We were having a great time, until my Player Character (PC) died. No big deal, and I learned to quicksave after that. However, quicksaving the game caused my wife’s instance of the game to pause. She received the message “Holuvar paused the game”, Holuvar being my PC. She was unable to move, interact, etc. I was unable to correct the problem from my end by pressing spacebar, etc. It so happened that talking to a NPC, such as a commoner, would unpause her game. It was a minor inconvenience, but kept occurring. I also occurred at times when entering new areas of the map, a building, etc. We slogged on, until we came to areas with no NPC’s to “unfreeze” her. I would then take control of her PC, then give control back, and that seemed to work, sometimes. Repeating the process is tedious however, and we are looking for some help. Is there a fix for this, or some simple command that would prevent this from happening? Thank you for your consideration and assistance.
  • XweynXweyn Member Posts: 1
    Plz BG1 & 2 ee v2 (april update), have useless multiplayer
    keep the ancient multipayer module who works with no/few bugs
  • NightbloodNightblood Member Posts: 6
    Encountered this bug today played multiplayer where I played other player was hosting didn't start happening until we were in beregost heading south game paused we reloaded game several times same thing would happen my screen went grey. He could move around and enjoy the game, while my char sat in the plane of Limbo to face grey and desolate existence. Another thing that needs to happen in multiplayer is that it needs a friend list so player's can continue playing with one another. This should have been implemented a long time ago. If Beamdog needs someone to talk to about game changes email jcpearce69@hotmail.com also SOD why is map so linear? no freedom and cant revisit maps. love the new content but come on AD&D is about freedom not confinement roleplaying has to do with traveling the the realms and feel alive not ohh by the way forgot to do that quest now can't go back to complete.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    We think that we have a repro case for this general issue, and have a fix scheduled for the next update
    http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/22170
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    This happened to me on the current patch. 2.3.x
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Yeah, sorry for the necro but this bug is now re-occurring for me.