Skip to content

Saved games pointing to the wrong location

CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
edited June 2019 in Troubleshooting
I have been struggling with a sistuation in which I pull up a saved game but none of my NPCs reflect a portrait anymore, nor do they have a soundtrack. Everything else, levels, inventory, spells/abilities all seem to work.

I think I figured out the problem by mistake but have NO IDEA how I can fix it OR how in the heck I did it

I was starting over and installing UB and NPC Proj 23.3, when I realized that my saves appear to be pointing to the wrong place. Instead of 'C:/Users/Owner/Beamdog Library/00766' (where everything still is), it's pointing to 'This PC/Local Disk (C:)/00766.' (Interestingly, I checked my EE Keeper and it has the correct path).

I have no idea how it happened but all of my installs are still in the former there but my game is looking for them in the wrong place.

I guess my question is - and you can tell I am a novice - is there anyway to get my saved game to point to the correct path which is still there? If I can pull that off, I'm saved.

I feel like an idiot because I'm such a noob when it comes to this stuff. I also get little time to play, and I hate going back and starting over when my party is at the Cloakwoods. Thanks all, CT
Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @CharlestonianTemplar, I am guessing that you are talking about a Windows installation here.

Try running the game directly starting the baldur.exe from within the 'C:\Users\Owner\Beamdog Library\00766' folder just to see what happens (although I would have thought that it should be in the Program Files - I run the GoG version so I am not sure where the Beamdog version stores its game files). If the game is finding everything it should, then it could be that the game shortcut is reflecting the wrong start folder. Right click on the game shortcut and have a look at the 'Start in:' entry.

For me, the saved games are in the '..\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\000000000-SavedGameName' folder.

Hopefully this helps with the solution
    Gus

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Gusinda wrote: »
    Hi @CharlestonianTemplar, I am guessing that you are talking about a Windows installation here.

Try running the game directly starting the baldur.exe from within the 'C:\Users\Owner\Beamdog Library\00766' folder just to see what happens (although I would have thought that it should be in the Program Files - I run the GoG version so I am not sure where the Beamdog version stores its game files). If the game is finding everything it should, then it could be that the game shortcut is reflecting the wrong start folder. Right click on the game shortcut and have a look at the 'Start in:' entry.

For me, the saved games are in the '..\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\000000000-SavedGameName' folder.

Hopefully this helps with the solution
    Gus

YES! YES! YES!

That did the trick! I am sooo indebted to you. I don't have to start over on a fantastic no-reload run. :)

Thank you! CT