Skip to content

Crippled FPS - any resolution below max

Hi folks,
Hoping someone can help troubleshoot a bizarre performance issue I'm getting with the EE.

At maximum desktop resolution, maximum graphics settings, performance is silky smooth. No drops, stutters or hitching.

At anything other than maximum desktop resolution, performance is a stuttery garbage fire and completely unplayable, with FPS at Powerpoint slideshow levels. Performance remains terrible even with every graphical option set to low or disabled, and with fairy/particle effects disabled via mods.

Obviously, I can continue to run the game perfectly fine at maximum resolution. However, because my desktop monitor is extremely wide (resolution 7,680x1,440), playing at fullscreen desktop resolution isn't a great experience. As NWN does not allow user interface elements currently pinned to the extreme left and right of the game display to be moved, there's about a metre of meatspace distance between these elements and they're not all visible in my field of view at once - I keep having to turn my head left then right then back again to respond to dialogue options, or use inventory, or etc etc.

As above, performance at max resolution is completely fine, so this is not an insufficient hardware issue, but system specs are Win10 x64, TR2-2950X, 32GB DDR4-3,200 CAS-14, 2x Titan X (Pascal) (SLi). Running latest Steam build, cache verified.

Attempted troubleshooting steps:
  • Uninstall and reinstall game;
  • Set nVidia control panel to always maximum performance;
  • vSync enabled and disabled;
  • Tested borderless windowed mode;
  • Multiple sets of nVidia drivers;
  • nwmain.exe affinity mask set to physical cores 1 and 2 only;
  • nwmain.exe affinity mask set to single core only;
  • performing sacred libations and making appropriate burnt offerings.
Halp?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

At anything other than maximum desktop resolution, performance is a stuttery garbage fire and completely unplayable, with FPS at Powerpoint slideshow levels.

This sounds like something in your graphics settings causes the problems. Please experiment and test by different 3D parameters for NWN:EE on your Nvidia control panel.
  • SoulsCollectiveSoulsCollective Member Posts: 16

This sounds like something in your graphics settings causes the problems. Please experiment and test by different 3D parameters for NWN:EE on your Nvidia control panel.

I appreciate the reply :)

As noted above, I've already ensured that the performance state for nwmain is 'Prefer maximum performance', which should prevent any downclocking/P-state shenanigans impacting on FPS. All other settings are currently as default in NVCP - unless anything sticks out to you here that NWNEE doesn't like?

edited December 2018
    As an update - I also own NWN Diamond on GOG, and have downloaded and installed that to test.

The Diamond GOG version 1.6.9 (July 2008) has exactly the same flawless performance as the Steam EE version at full desktop resolution (7,680x1,440). However, the Diamond GOG version performance is entirely unaffected by lowering resolution and remains silky smooth all the way down to 800x600. EE performance continues to die in a fire at anything below 7,680x1,440.

As both the Diamond GOG version and the EE use the same 'nwmain.exe' application, the same nVidia profile will be loaded by both. Accordingly, the issue appears to lie with the EE version and not with the nVidia control panel settings.
    edited December 2018
    The problem continues to persist with the latest 417.22 nVidia driver release. To doubly ensure nVidia driver settings are not the cause of the issue, I have completely wiped the previous driver installation using DDU and performed a clean reinstall. EE performance at resolutions less than maximum desktop continues to be terrible, Diamond performance continues to be flawless.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    As Trent has just mentioned during the stream, please file a bug report at https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/nwn-ee-public-bugs so that we could investigate it.

As Trent has just mentioned during the stream, please file a bug report at https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/nwn-ee-public-bugs so that we could investigate it.

Urgh, video content.

Thanks for the response and the helfpul link - I shall do so - but is there a documented summary for these streams anywhere? Or at least timestamps of when issues are discussed? Trying to sit through two (personable, I'll give them that) chaps waffling for an hour to catch relevant snippets is hugely inefficient.
    We usually post the recaps on our blog. Not everything goes into the recaps, though.
    As requested, I have created a bug report here, but it has been over a week and there has been no response or any indication that this issue has been noted.

While I appreciate that the Christmas break is approaching, I'd be great if you could you advise of the general sort of turnaround time to expect on these things - at present the EE is pretty much unplayable. Happy to provide any additional feedback/logs/information as required to resolve!
    I completely understand that the Christmas/NY break will have delayed things, but it has now been a full working week since then, over a month since this issue was noted, and 27 days since I have created a bug report as instructed with no further response from anyone in relation to this issue.

I would really appreciate some assistance with this, or failing that a timeline of expected response times, and at a minimum some sort of indication that this issue has been noted.

If there is no intention to provide support to resolve this bug so I may play the game, while disappointing, an honest response would also be appreciated so that I may commence seeking a refund for this purchase.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited January 2019
    I believe JuliusBorisov mentioned in another topic that they are still on holiday until monday 1-7-19. So it has not been work week. I believe that why there was no stream this last friday. I hope they get this fixed when they do come back.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
    It is now two months since I first created this thread and eight weeks since I have created a bug report, as requested.

In that time there has been no indication that the bug report has even been received or any response to this issue.

As above, I feel it would be the absolute bare minimum you could do to give me an expected response time, or at the very least be honest that there is no intention to provide support with this issue. If that is the case, I now request assistance in securing a refund for this purchase, as I am past the period where Steam support will approve a refund request.
    It is now twelve weeks since I have created a bug report, as requested. There has been no response from anyone.

Frankly, this is ridiculous.

@JuliusBorisov , I note you have marked my previous post - four weeks ago, in which I pointed out that the least that Beamdog could do would be to give an expected response time or be honest about not being willing to help - as 'insightful'. I'm really trying to be as reasonable as possible here and give your company the benefit of the doubt, as I've a great deal of respect for your treatment of classic IPs, but this is now some of the worst customer service I've received for some time.

It would be appreciated if you could get in touch via PM to provide an update.
    My insightful meant I saw your message and contacted our QA. I've done that again.
    It is now half a year later and the same problem persists.

I understand the commentary from your devs that they feel the 'new renderer' will hopefully resolve this issue, and that they are unwilling to try and troubleshoot their old system when it will be replaced anyway. To receive this 'wait some more' response after waiting three months for any sort of reply was extremely frustrating, but I can understand this approach to an extent, and have been waiting patiently for a further three months.

However, I have now been unable to play the game which I purchased for half a year, and as (to my knowledge) there has been no published date or ETA for this to be implemented I have no idea when I will be able to in the future.

I would appreciate it if an estimate could be provided as to when you think the renderer would be done, and therefore when I might be able to get another chance to try and play your game.
    I hear you. However, we can't provide ETA because the complexness of the renderer defines and changes the possible timeline each week. That said, the renderer is one of the needed requirements for the console version, and the console version will be released this year.
    ...the renderer is one of the needed requirements for the console version, and the console version will be released this year.
    So, to clarify: I should expect a further delay of up to six months - making it a full year since original purchase date - before I am able to check whether the outstanding issue might be resolved? And until that date, I should expect no further support?
  • Keyvin_OldKeyvin_Old Member Posts: 5
    Souls Collective - I've been getting the same crap (wait for the new renderer) for over a year as well. I really feel like any and all "support" provided from beamdog on framerate/performance has just been empty responses to push as many of us past the refund window as possible.

Beamdog is pretty much a bargain bin gamehouse at this point. Buy their titles on markdown and you won't feel ripped off.
    We have replied in many forms (on this forum, on Redmine, on the blog) that the renderer will be a solution - the only solution there can be in terms of "once and for all" - to performance/crashing issues. This solution takes time, we've been working on it for months, but we can't work faster.
    edited June 2019
    Keyvin_Old wrote: »
    Beamdog is pretty much a bargain bin gamehouse at this point. Buy their titles on markdown and you won't feel ripped off.
    I appreciate the reply, but I'm not sure I'd agree to that extent. As per the above history of this issue, the response times are really quite shocking, and up there with the worst customer service I've received to date. That's very disappointing, and very frustrating. However, I've been involved with some large team projects over my professional career so do have some sympathy for the process, and the overall treatment of the legacy Bioware IP has been pretty good - which earns a lot of credit in my mind.
    We have replied in many forms (on this forum, on Redmine, on the blog) that the renderer will be a solution - the only solution there can be in terms of "once and for all" - to performance/crashing issues. This solution takes time, we've been working on it for months, but we can't work faster.
    As above, I do understand that projects such as this will take time. However, as I'm sure you can understand, from my perspective as a purchaser of your product, the experience I've had to date has been utterly awful:
    • See launch of enhanced edition of nostalgic favourite, purchase for full price;
    • Install, realise issues prevent playing game, ask for support;
    • Wait three months for any kind of response, be told that further waiting will be required;
    • Wait a further three months for a response, be told that yet more waiting of up to six months will be required before support will be provided - a full year after original purchase.

As above, I am now beyond any ability on my part to refund this non-working product - I have now waited for your responses for so long that I am outside of the refund window. With respect, it is not sufficient to ask a paying customer to wait for up to a year before they might end up with a working product. I therefore ask that I be contacted to arrange assistance in refunding this purchase.
    It has been over a week since my last comment above, and I am yet to hear from anyone in relation to this.

As above, if the only 'technical support' to be offered is instructions to wait for up to a further six months, I do not consider this good enough, and request that I be refunded instead.
  • Keyvin_OldKeyvin_Old Member Posts: 5

You told me and hundreds of other people a year ago it was going to be fixed in the next few patches. I waited past the automatic refund date because of it. I believed it because the diamond edition ran (and runs) just fine. You guys also tagged the steam cloud icon to turn on even though you don't back up save games, and for some reason copying save games between computers (on the same patch level) is dodgy, whereas it always works in diamond edition.

I've got three computers - two intel, one ryzen/amd. I've tried it on my gtx 1080, rx 480, and intel hd 620. It's the same problem on every computer, wheras diamond has none. I even installed diamond from my discs just for the heck of it, and that runs with less issue than the enhanced edition.

If you guys want to give me a refund through steam I'd be more than happy to take it. If you personally want to paypal me $20 since you lead me on for three months I'll take that to. I've never felt like I've been promised more and given less with a game like this in my life. I hope the five thousand or so PW players you guys shoveled this out for before anything was enhanced can support you on your future projects, because I sure wont.
    Refund requests can only go through according to this instruction.
    edited June 2019
    Refund requests can only go through according to this instruction.
    @JuliusBorisov , the problem is that that states "After 14 days, all sales are final."

While I first asked for support soon after purchase and running into these unresolvable issues, it took your support team three months to respond stating that the issues I was experiencing would not be solved until the 'new renderer' was released. How is it acceptable that your team gets to leave paying customers waiting for any sort of response for multiple months, thus (I would like to think coincidentally) placing us outside your refund policy window?

As above, this is not good enough, and I think you're quite aware of that too. I really do believe that your company is trying hard to resolve the issues, and don't want to cast aspersions, but I'm sure you can see that this approach is leaving your paying customers in a very bad place.