Skip to content

Remake BG1, BG2, IWD, and so on using NWN

Why hasn't any groups pulled together and remade all the older games BG1, BG2, Icewind Dale1, Icewind Dale 2, and so on using NWN1?

If you look at all these games they have a really large fan base. Once all of them were done together they would make for a nice base/starting point for a server.

Comments

• zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2019
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Because it would be frustrating losing full party control? NWN2 is more suited if you insist on remakes. That Sword Coast Chronicles PW is fun too.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I remember an iwd as well. I don’t remember which game remade it.

I don’t think iwd 2 was ever done

So basically every game has been redone.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    IWD was done in NWN2, at one point in time someone was working in IWD 2 but it's been a while since I've seen anything posted on the vault, so they most likely stopped working on it.
  • TondenTonden Member Posts: 223
    Well I wasn't thinking about the NPC party member thing. I was thinking more about what all can be done with models using 3DS Max and or Blender to make NWN1 look just like the older games.

Even though I own both NWN1 and NWN2 I have just been a BIGer fan of 1 which is why I didnt know that some of these games have been recreated using NWN2
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Well....there are these guys for one.https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794
    and now they are working on baldurs gate 2 https://www.facebook.com/BaldursGateReloaded
    People say NWN2 still has lots of bugs after all these years. Do these bugs affect Baldur's Gate Reloaded or are they limited to NWN2's campaigns?
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2019

Post edited by zordren3742 on
  • DFDarkDFDark Member Posts: 32
    Alonso wrote: »
    Well....there are these guys for one.https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794
    and now they are working on baldurs gate 2 https://www.facebook.com/BaldursGateReloaded
    People say NWN2 still has lots of bugs after all these years. Do these bugs affect Baldur's Gate Reloaded or are they limited to NWN2's campaigns?

I could not tell you, unfortunately I have never beat nwn2 or any of its expansions.
    I did play it way back when it came out, but it ran awful on my pc back then.

NWN2 OC campaign was great. I Honestly hope BD will do something on similar scale for their next PM/Expansion.

That said I've played it twice (one time multiplayer) and without DM console I would have never been able to finish it.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    There are some nice modules for it. Not nearly the library NWN accumulated but definitely a few worth your time. Doesn't run too bad on mine with some mods with the exception of SoZ crashing for no reason. Mask of the Betrayer is well worth a spin.
    edited May 2019
    I have played BG, BG2, IWD, EQ, EQ2, EQOA, NWN1, NWN2, DAoC, WoW, DDO, GW, GW2, and so many others. The point is I have played a lot of games that a lot of people would say don't look good at all like EQ for example. While at the same time other games I have played like GW2 most people feel it looks really nice. However I love the look of NWN1, to me it doesnt look as good as say a game like GW2, but its better looking then BG, BG2, IWD, EQ, EQOA, EQ2, NWN2, DDO, DAoC, and WoW in my opinion for what I like any way. Then you have the freedom to keep adding to the world using the Toolset, for this reason to me there is no other game out there that holds a candle to NWN1. I don't like playing a game, beating it, and its done. Which is why most of the games I listed above are MMORPGs so that they keep going on and on.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    Alonso wrote: »

Actually I'm currently playing the BG remake in NWN2. I haven't noticed any bugs in the base game at all. Haven't had a random crash either. In addition the module is very well made (or remade as the case may be). The more difficult fights would be a nightmare in NWN1 due to lack of party control.

The game itself was fairly resource intensive for it's time so that could have been the issue back in the day. But computers have come a long way. I'm on a pretty middle of the road system now and it runs fast an smooth. Quicker than most Unity Engine games nowadays.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2019
    (edit): wrong mod
    The modders of NWN2 made a very good mod. They even have the music, character sounds... I´ve wanted to play BG and IWD with the 3e ruleset for a while. Some things do not add like Viconia with a drow ECL+2 that made her unplayable, but the mods are very faithful to the original games.

I agree NWN is not suited to host any IE game. NWN is not party based (nor party-friendly), and the UI...
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    Currently you may be right but with a lot of the changes on the way and in the works who knows if that may change.
    Tonden wrote: »
    Currently you may be right but with a lot of the changes on the way and in the works who knows if that may change.

While this is true, but instead of waiting for engine changes, which might happen, then waiting for those fairly huge games to be remade in said engine, you might want to try the NWN2 version.

Also, I agree with PsicoVic, ECL +2 really kills Viconia. On the other hand, you don't really need an optimal party to beat the game so... I feel like RP choices are perfectly valid.
    I think a lot can be done with the story scripting the NPCs to feel a lot like BG unless you want to control a whole group of players. I find that to be a lot of work with getting them all armor setting up their spells and so on that I dont want to do my self. I just like the story and talking with NPCs who help me when I need it.
    In my case I precisely play this kind of games (IE games, Pathfinder, Divinity, drakensang games, strategy games, dungeon crawlers, XCOM...) precisely because you have a party you can manage. I understand that many people play even bg2 solo, and it is fun, but I think the NWN engine will take away many key features in the IE games (also, UI and design do not aged well, at all. Bg is more aesthetic even is a very older game). You can even make better work with a DoS2 engine. I played "A candle in the dark" nwn-ported-to-Dos2 mod and It was fantastic.
    Also you can play BG2 solo, but you can never play NWN with a party of 6.

cherryzero wrote: »

While this is true, but instead of waiting for engine changes, which might happen, then waiting for those fairly huge games to be remade in said engine, you might want to try the NWN2 version.

Also, I agree with PsicoVic, ECL +2 really kills Viconia. On the other hand, you don't really need an optimal party to beat the game so... I feel like RP choices are perfectly valid.
    It was a bother to run to the temple to revive her every time she died because she has 8 hp for 3 levels... A bandit with a well-placed arrow can kill her.
    I modified the 2da to change drow and svirfneblin ECL and the weapon size of scimitars so you can properly dual-wield them and the mod is fine :D
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    In my case I precisely play this kind of games (IE games, Pathfinder, Divinity, drakensang games, strategy games, dungeon crawlers, XCOM...) precisely because you have a party you can manage. I understand that many people play even bg2 solo, and it is fun, but I think the NWN engine will take away many key features in the IE games (also, UI and design do not aged well, at all. Bg is more aesthetic even is a very older game). You can even make better work with a DoS2 engine. I played "A candle in the dark" nwn-ported-to-Dos2 mod and It was fantastic.

It was a bother to run to the temple to revive her every time she died because she has 8 hp for 3 levels... A bandit with a well-placed arrow can kill her.
    I modified the 2da to change drow and svirfneblin ECL and the weapon size of scimitars so you can properly dual-wield them and the mod is fine :D

It's funny you say that. I actually considered modding the 2DAs for Viconia specifically. I mean, she still has her crappy stats on top of the ECL. So yeah, she kind of sucks. But I just kept he in the back and used her for healing. Eventually swapped her out for Yeselik because I like him anyway.

I think the difference between bg 1 and 2 is the depth of NPC interactions. I may buff her up in 2 when that comes out because I like her story.

Incidentally, don't they have the oversized 2 weapon fighting feat in the version of Kaedrin's that is packaged with the campaign? No need to change scimitar sizes if so. Although, you know, it's a single player game, do what you want. I do :-)
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i feel like it is a waste of peoples time to remake the ie games in nwn. just play the originals at this point and use nwn to make something new.
    Unless you wanted to use it as a base to build off of for a server or something
    But yes if its going to be just a slandalone module what would be the point, I agree.
    edited June 2019
    PsicoVic wrote: »

It's funny you say that. I actually considered modding the 2DAs for Viconia specifically. I mean, she still has her crappy stats on top of the ECL. So yeah, she kind of sucks. But I just kept her in the back and used her for healing. Eventually swapped her out for Yeselik because I like him anyway.

I think the difference between bg 1 and 2 is the depth of NPC interactions. I may buff her up in 2 when that comes out because I like her story.

Incidentally, don't they have the oversized 2 weapon fighting feat in the version of Kaedrin's that is packaged with the campaign? No need to change scimitar sizes if so. Although, you know, it's a single player game, do what you want. I do :-)

Yeah, the mod is based in the unmodded game. I remembered the characters a little more talkative, but it is fine as a mod for NWN2.
    In the original game, Viconia does not have ECL and still retain magic resistance, and also scimitars does not have a penalty in dual-wielding so I think of it as a fix of sorts ¿? :D

Luckily in single-player you can do as you wish without remorse...
    edited June 2019
    Now the one thing I do love is the fact that BG is based on 2e while NWN is based on
    3e :wink:
    Now the one thing I do love is the fact that BG is based on 2e while NWN is based on
    3e :wink:

Playing the game in 3.5 really does give it a different flavor. Also the environments are really really well crafted. Exploring them from the inside instead of just top down is immersive.

I’d add that I threw a bunch of upgraded texture packs into my override folder- everything from characters to weapons and armor to environment- and it looks pretty good even by today’s standards.