Skip to content

what HLA to pick for jahira?

hello, this is my first time playing ToB and she is my first character to get an HLA
brief summary of the party : LE Necromancer,Miinsc, Jahira, Viconia,Haer'dalis,pure Thief Imoen
Jahira is using slings/clubs, sword and shield weapon style( should have dualwielded i know) She is mainly casting spells and hitting with a sling.
she got 2 HLA since she leveled both fighter and druid at the same time, my choices are elemental summoning and greater elemental summoning or energy blades and summon deva, which should i pick?
is greater elemental summoning druids only or clerics learn it as well?
I am going to get fallen deva on viconia when she gets an HLA
gorgonzola

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I would actually hold off on the Druid HLAs since Jaheira has a serious issue with lacking 7th level spellslots and already has access to excellent spells like Nature’s Beauty. Summon Deva or Greater Elemental Summoning and Energy Blades are probably the only ones worth taking.

Hardiness is a must have since Jaheira excels as a tank. Together with Armor of Faith, Jaheira is resisting over half damage from all physical attacks, and with Regeneration she is nigh-unkillable in the frontline. Whirlwind Attack, Power Attack and Critical Strike are great for offense.
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzolaAndreaColombo
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I'm pretty certain that Greater Elemental Summoning (the one that has a 100% chance to summon an Elemental Prince) is Druid-only. Since I like to cleave fairly close to lore for choices, I mainly end up giving each character HLAs that I think they would actually pick; for Jaheira, this translates into Elemental Summoning, Greater Elemental Summoning, Storm of Vengeance (even though it's pretty bad as far as HLAs go), and the improved Shapechanging options.
    Economics
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I would start with the elemental summoning HLAs (so you get greater summoning) and then take whirlwind (to open access to greater whirlwind), then get several greater whirlwind and several hardiness. Then take any other druid abilities that you like the look of
    Economics
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited June 2019
    Greater elemental summoning is druid only unless this has been altered recently

Re devas my recollection is that planetars are significantly better and you can summon them with your mages
    Economics
  • EconomicsEconomics Member Posts: 13
    AionZ wrote: »
    I would actually hold off on the Druid HLAs since Jaheira has a serious issue with lacking 7th level spellslots and already has access to excellent spells like Nature’s Beauty. Summon Deva or Greater Elemental Summoning and Energy Blades are probably the only ones worth taking.

Hardiness is a must have since Jaheira excels as a tank. Together with Armor of Faith, Jaheira is resisting over half damage from all physical attacks, and with Regeneration she is nigh-unkillable in the frontline. Whirlwind Attack, Power Attack and Critical Strike are great for offense.

you are correct, i wont get any spell slots for a long time , so i think i will go greater elemental summons now and get Fighter HLA next , now i have a new questions minsc is duel wield mace with an item that gives improved haste x/day , i am thinking of going hardiness,power attack and critical strike since he doesnt need the GWW, and have jahira with GWW since she is using sword and shield so the 10 atk/round is really useful on her would that be good?
    gorgonzola
  • EconomicsEconomics Member Posts: 13
    Zaxares wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that Greater Elemental Summoning (the one that has a 100% chance to summon an Elemental Prince) is Druid-only. Since I like to cleave fairly close to lore for choices, I mainly end up giving each character HLAs that I think they would actually pick; for Jaheira, this translates into Elemental Summoning, Greater Elemental Summoning, Storm of Vengeance (even though it's pretty bad as far as HLAs go), and the improved Shapechanging options.

yeah this is why i want greater elemental summoning for her,being a druid and all, she needs something unique, i am glad i am not gimping myself by choosing greater elemental summoning
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Greater elemental summoning is druid only unless this has been altered recently

Re devas my recollection is that planetars are significantly better and you can summon them with your mages

True, but has to be told that an elemental prince, that is very powerful, not far from a planetar, can be summoned while a deva or planetar is also gated, while 2 celestials can not be gated at the same time. Only a druid in the party let have 2 helpers of that level fighting together at your side.
    Not useful now but good to know for the last hard battles when jabeira would be able to call the prince.
    ilduderino
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Greater elemental summoning is err... great! It’s one of the best HLAs in the game in my opinion.

Although the air elemental prince is a bit of a disappointment, but the other two are awesome.
    gorgonzola