Skip to content

Why is there no fighter/cleric/thief option?

ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
I would really like to give this a go. As you can be a F/M/T and a F/M/C, it does not necessarily make sense that you cannot be this multi. I recall this was not possible in the gold box games either. Is this a quirk or was there a good reason? Having thought, is it because half-elf cannot be a cleric/thief? This would be a fun gnome multi but perhaps they cannot triple class
ThacoBellgorgonzola

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Because in the original AD&D rules there was no F/C/T multiclass, either.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    2nd Edition Rules :(
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Thanks very much. I cannot see that there are any mods that allow this?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2019
    Hard to create this. The closest thing is maybe swashbuckler/cleric dual if legal and multi if illegal way.

Best way should be a cleric/thief with proper apr, pips and hp. Also xp penalty for tripple class.
    ilduderinogorgonzolaPsicoVic
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Both the FCT & CMT were added by expansion books for Elves & HElfs.
    gorgonzolailduderinoStummvonBordwehrleeux
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited July 2019
    Note that the core AD&D rulebooks DO let you dual-class as a fighter/cleric/thief, but most people don't know that because BioWare only lets you dual the same character once.
    Skatan
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Good point, I recall that Elminster dualled as a fighter and thief before becoming a mage under the 2nd edition rules
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I'm pretty sure that both FCT and MCT were allowed in 2nd Edition by the Player's Handbook.

Will double check when I have the time to do so.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2019
    The 2nd edition core rules did not allow a character to dual class more than once (although it was always possible of course for dungeon masters to over-ride restrictions using local rules - and Bioware did include plenty of examples of characters who were not strictly in accordance with 2nd edition rules). The only triple class combinations allowed under the core rules were F/M/T, F/M/C and F/M/D.

3rd edition rules were much less restrictive.

Edited to correct.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    Not true, the 2nd edition core rules allow characters to dual-class an unlimited number of times. From the PH: "There is no limit to the number of classes a character can acquire, as long as he has the ability scores and wants to make the change."
    Grond0RAM021
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Grond0
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    jsaving wrote: »
    Not true, the 2nd edition core rules allow characters to dual-class an unlimited number of times. From the PH: "There is no limit to the number of classes a character can acquire, as long as he has the ability scores and wants to make the change."

If you can still only dual valid multiclass combos, then that's still a maximum of 3, but that would seem like weird phrasing, so could you dual invalid multiclass combos?
    edited July 2019
    In the pencil-and-paper game, you are not restricted to valid multiclass combos. You could be a fighter/cleric/mage/thief if you wanted.
    ChroniclerRAM021
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2019
    Chronicler wrote: »
    jsaving wrote: »

If you can still only dual valid multiclass combos, then that's still a maximum of 3, but that would seem like weird phrasing, so could you dual invalid multiclass combos?

Yes. Standard alignment restrictions apply, but the only additional restriction is you can't dual to the same type of class - so you can't be a fighter/ranger for instance as both of those are warrior classes. You can also never have more than one kit.
    Chronicler
  • SaboCJSaboCJ Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2022
    Can we have a patch update to make dusl-class to any class that can dual-class.

Separately ability to click a button in options (next to story mode) and have any or all stronghold unlocked.

I do not have the ability to Mod. I am on an Android phone. And no computer. P.s. Out of work Disabled Veteran I can not afford a PC to mod.

Maybe in game mod download menu like Skyrim has.