Skip to content

Tiax vs Quayle

Both of them are in neighboring cities when they each receive a letter from the other and are so incensed by its contents that they set out to kill eachother. Who comes out on top?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    quayle

multi-class cleric/illusionist, thats a powerful combo lots of spell options, and has as many cleric spells as tiax at the least ( actually tiax might have 1 more level 1 spell haha ) but then quayle has all those mage spells to back up on as well, and being an illusionist gets an extra spell per level

you could argue that tiax has back stab, but with 9 STR he is going to hit with the ferocity of a loving baby's warm smile, and even though tiax has summon ghast, hold undead is a level 3 mage spell, so that can take care of the ghast

now of coarse if the one caught the other by surprise than that gnerm would have the upper hand, but if not, im going for quayle
    ChroniclerGusinda
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Do you think Stealth or Invisibility would be the greater boon in achieving the element of surprise?
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Tiax is an absolute beast. Anyone who thinks Quayle would come out on top obviously hasn't played Tiax to his full potential.

Cleric/thief is an amazing multiclass in the first game. Tiax has pretty good stats bar his strength, which he can easily redeem with a cast of Holy Power/Strength of One. Or he can just wear the Hands of Takkok and never worry about it (as a cleric-multi, he's the only thief in the game with access to +STR items.)

Now, get Aule's Staff +3 from Ulgoth's Beard and you have a backstabbing machine.

Cast Sanctuary, summon Ghast and Animate Dead, buff up, cast disabling spells. Then Hide in Shadows or use invisibility pots/Sandthief's ring and start clobbering people to death.

Try this and you'll see that TIAX WILL RULE IN THE END!
    ChroniclerRaduzielAndreaColombo
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I just don't see Tiax sneaking up on anyone. He would be more likely to gloat in their face about their imminent demise and his inevitable ascension. Gives Big Q enough time to let loose an Acid Arrow and call it a day.
    ChroniclerElysianEchoessarevok57Zaxares
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Tiax and Quayle will usually fight each other if they’re in a party together for long enough....but I’ve never tried it.

Why not give it a whirl and let us know how you get on? :)
    Dharius wrote: »
    Tiax and Quayle will usually fight each other if they’re in a party together for long enough....but I’ve never tried it.

Why not give it a whirl and let us know how you get on? :)

When companions fight, they tend to just duke it out with their weapons, and whichever companion is better in that respect wins.

It doesn't necessarily reflect a scenario where they both get to bring their full skill set and personality to the table.

In this scenario for example I specifically have them both start in neighboring cities, so that which one finds the other first will be an element of the conflict. As a thief Tiax is skilled in the arts of subterfuge but as an illusionist Quayle is equally gifted at misdirection.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I just don't see Tiax sneaking up on anyone. He would be more likely to gloat in their face about their imminent demise and his inevitable ascension. Gives Big Q enough time to let loose an Acid Arrow and call it a day.

I have to concur with this. Tiax is FAR too egotistical to even consider a subtle approach. Forget the element of surprise, the first thing he'll do is show up at Quayle's doorstep and challenge him to a duel, in public, at the town square at high noon so that all can witness the glory and incomparable might of Tiax as he smites his rival to an early grave! Which Tiax will then also smite, for good measure!

So that pretty much means the fight will come down to a straight spell-slinging contest, and a Cleric/Illusionist is going to have a lot more options in his arsenal for such a battle.
    ElysianEchoes
    However egotistical he is, he didn't become a thief by accident. I think you're underestimating his ability to be discrete when he it suits him.
    Balrog99
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited July 2019
    Let's be real though, Tiax has that summon ghast ability, which is absolutely broken for the low levels they would likely find themselves in. No free invisibility is compensating for that, unless he intends to run away.
    Chronicler
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Isn't Hold Undead necromancy? I think that Ghast will be making a very big mess very quickly, with 1 hit potentially ending things. Technically, Quayle can prolly Animate dead, so these could make the fight pretty big.

Note, if we allow items its probably an easy Quayle victory due to wands, but Tiax can unleash his own fireballs via items, and the Wand of Heaven isn't at all bad.

In the end, it comes down to mage vs thief, and that strongly favours Quayle. A good backstab or even 2 using invisibility items could quickly end things though.