Skip to content

Solo Mage>Thief Dual Class

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
Hi Y'All. I'm starting a new game and would like to try a solo Human generalist Mage>Thief dual (starting from 89K xp) but was wondering when the best time to dual is?

The aim is to have the best possible character at the xp cap, regardless of the challenges faaced along the way (especially to make the most of HLAs) ..any advice?

PS I might use Jan and Yoshimo as thieves before I dual, if need be.

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    People usually go Thief to Wizard, since Thief goes drastically downhill after you nab UAI, one of the most borked things in the game. Then, you'd have a slog to get back your abilities... double check btw that you can regain your abilities if you dual after lvl 20 I'd say. If starting as thief, consider a swashbuckler, he'll offer real benefits with at least 15 levels, and are very viable in melee with UAI.

TBH, wizard could be dualed out of once you've gotten Imp Alacrity, but this is a gargantuan investment.
    Dharius
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Enchanter level 9 or 11 (depending on if you want 6th level spells) would be pretty good. Most good enchantment spells are level 5 so I wouldn't do the dual before then myself. The familiar will help make up for the lost hit points and since you won't need your familiar for thieving or invisibility, you're free to choose from the ones that regenerate and have better combat skills (imp, pseudo-dragon, mephit or quasit).
    Dharius
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    There are a lot of reasons why a gnome illusionist/thief multi or a human swashbuckler/mage dual would be better options both power-wise and enjoyment-wise. But if you're determined to dual from mage to thief and are wondering how to make that work as well as you can at endgame, then you probably want to dual around 20th level to ensure eventual access to dragon's breath and improved alacrity as well as UAI and HLA thief traps.
    gorgonzolaDhariusRAM021
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Dharius wrote: »
    would like to try a solo Human generalist Mage>Thief dual (starting from 89K xp) but was wondering when the best time to dual is?

The aim is to have the best possible character at the xp cap, regardless of the challenges faaced along the way (especially to make the most of HLAs)
    The highest possible mage level that let you still get 1 more thief level before hitting the cap.
    Imo with mage as first class the best high level dual is the more similar to the multi, that is a lot better for some reasons, like no down time, a lot more HLA.
    With thief as first class, better if kitted thief, to dual earlier so have a less powerful thief but much more arcane power, the dual can have sense, and has a different way to be played then a multi, is not only an inferior version of it.
    Dharius
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Hmmm, thanks for comments. I think that the best option is probably to dual at about level 11 after all, so that what we have is a thief with a few mage spells...dualling at Level 20 would give too much downtime...

Thanks!
    gorgonzola
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Dharius wrote: »
    Hi Y'All. I'm starting a new game and would like to try a solo Human generalist Mage>Thief dual (starting from 89K xp) but was wondering when the best time to dual is?
    Mage14 only uses the wasted 1,620,00 XP between Thief39 & Thief40.
    DhariusgorgonzolaDreadKhan