Skip to content

Modding and dialog.tlk

ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
When I install mods, am I forced to change the language of the main game before installing them, or can I just switch once ingame?

What I mean is...

once I've chosen a language for my baldur's gate, installed mods,
what happens if I change the language of baldur's gate?

Will the game lack the text because the mods installed, for example, on top of the English version?

Comments

• ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    The language chosen in your first mod is writen in a config file named weidu (for example: lang_dir = en_en). Every mod after that appends the English dialog.tlk no matter what languages you choose for them. If you are not using the English dialog.tlk by default, then your new game will be missing all your modded contents added by the tra-files.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    So why this happens?

I install BG
    I don't change language
    I install mods

Installation is perfect. Trying to change the language to English makes BG go crazy and I get a shittons of invalid entries when trying to start a new game. Switching to the first language makes the entries appear again
  • ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    Because WEIDU patches only one language. If you start to patch a clean installation, the latest version of WEIDU asks for the language to choose from (only EE-versions) and creates the WEIDU-config-file, which all following mods will be using as a reference, where to put their tra-files. If you like to play the English version of the game, choose English with the first mod you will be installing and you are good to go. But you cant play the game in your native language without "Invalid replays" when it comes to modded content.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited July 2019
    Arthas wrote: »
    So why this happens?

As far as I know, in the original game there was only ever one dialog.tlk per installation.
    If you installed the English BG2, you had the English dialog.tlk, and so on.
    So the WeiDU mod installer was built to patch a single dialog.tlk.

Then the Enhanced Edition came along, and shipped multiple dialog.tlk's for multiple languages in a single installation, and allowed users to switch between them in the game.
    Instead of fundamentally changing how WeiDU works to support patching all dialog.tlk's at once (which would have probably been a lot of work), WeiDU was made EE-compatible by simply asking users which dialog.tlk it should patch when the first mod is installed.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited July 2019
    Honestly when I use the BWS by Roxanne this doesn't happen. I'm not getting asked anything, I just install stuff. Is there anywhere I'm supposed to choose another language?

The only way to avoid issues concerning dialog.dlk is actually choosing the main language I'll be using inside the game before installing all of these mods.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    It's on the screen where you select the installation directories.

4vkq7iu6hnd5.png

Arthas