Skip to content

Just reached Chapter 3 - am I free to explore a bit?

hi all,

I played BG as a kid, but mostly used cheats and messed around. This is my first real attempt at doing a thorough playthrough, and I just reached Chapter 3. Am I free to roam around and explore and do side quests for awhile? I know the NPCs made a big deal about getting to Nashkel in time, but I already dumped Xzar and Montaron and picked up Minsc and Dynaheir, so I am not aware of any pressing issues. Seems like I am a bit free to explore, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Yes, you're safe to explore a while. The only issue that I can think of is if you're using Kivan. Look at it as a thorough bandit hunt for extra money.
  • shigbitshigbit Member Posts: 2
    Yes, you're safe to explore a while. The only issue that I can think of is if you're using Kivan. Look at it as a thorough bandit hunt for extra money.

cool, thank you!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You are nearly always free to explore an unlimited amount of time. You can rest for years or even decades without any of the game's villains advancing their plans.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Yep, Kivan will get antsy if you're not making progress on his hunt for the bandits (and one bandit leader, in particular), and he will leave you if you take too long. Unfortunately, you don't encounter the bandit leader in question till Chapter 4, so you might get a rude surprise with Kivan leaving permanently if you recruited him in High Hedge early on. If you have EE Keeper though, you can keep on resetting his leave timer so he never leaves (although it does get a bit annoying).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The only time you will ever have to worry about being timed is with companion quests. They will also warn you when they start getting antsy, so you shouldn't have to worry about being blindsided with deadlines.
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    The only time you will ever have to worry about being timed is with companion quests. They will also warn you when they start getting antsy, so you shouldn't have to worry about being blindsided with deadlines.

There is also that one quest in Baldur's Gate city.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Yep, Kivan will get antsy if you're not making progress on his hunt for the bandits (and one bandit leader, in particular), and he will leave you if you take too long. Unfortunately, you don't encounter the bandit leader in question till Chapter 4, so you might get a rude surprise with Kivan leaving permanently if you recruited him in High Hedge early on. If you have EE Keeper though, you can keep on resetting his leave timer so he never leaves (although it does get a bit annoying).

I've heard getting him petrified and back stops the timer. Can anyone verify that this is true?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I did try that out, but it no longer seems to work in EE. It probably still works on the original version however.