Skip to content

Mod suggestion: realistic resurrection rules

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
Inspired by this thread:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1082385
I propose a mod that makes it such that:

* Upon a party members death, a body 'item' is placed on the ground where the party member fell. (weight of said body can be heuristically determined by race, gender constitution and strength (stronger and sturdier people presumably weight more))
* When trying to resurrect a dead party member (eg. at a temple) the resurrection spell well check that the party members body is in the inventory of one of the living party members.
* no more than (say) 24 hours has passed since the party member died.
* alternatively, the cost of the resurrection can be scaled according to how long the body has been dead.

This mod will put a strain on parties: say you're in Durlag's tower and just had your two tanks slain. How are you going to move their bodies to a temple before their deaths become permanent? That could be a tricky proposition!

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The timer can be a problem as you can be more than 24h away from any temple.

Other than that, I like the idea.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Raduziel wrote: »
    The timer can be a problem as you can be more than 24h away from any temple.

Other than that, I like the idea.

Indeed, so the timer really puts a pressure on you. Just as you can't be sure that your party members won't ever get 'chunked', and thus be unresurrectable, you now also have the risk of simply being too far away from civilization to do anything about a non-chunked death as well.

I guess it could be made such that whether the timer is there or not, can be chosen by the player when he installs the mod.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    The suggested price increase according to how long the body has been dead, could be made exponential. This alone could make it troublesome to have a death happen far away from a temple. Real sacrifices would have to be made, such as selling of magical items.
    Then we don't need the strict 24 hour cutoff.

Of course this mod only makes sense in a minimal reload or no reload run.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The exponential price sounds better - IIRC, the cleric may Resurrect/Raise Dead in a dead person that has been dead for a longer time than 24h. Way longer.

And "realist resurrection rules" is something that always makes me laugh a bit due to the paradoxical phrase.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Raduziel wrote: »
    IIRC, the cleric may Resurrect/Raise Dead in a dead person that has been dead for a longer time than 24h. Way longer.
    Yeah, PnP Raise Dead is 24hrs / caster level, as a Level 5 spell, that's a minimum of 9 days. Resurrect is 10 years / caster level, as a Level 7 spell, that's a minimum of 140 years.
    But neither have a significant material cost associated with them.
    Raise Dead has literally no material components, but does permanently lower Constitution of the raised creature by 1. I guess they could charge you for a Manual of Bodily Health (5000gp) since they don't impose the Constitution loss.
    Resurrect requires Holy Water (25gp), and ages the caster by 3 years. Time is money, they can probably charge whatever they want for the service, but there's no reason for the price to escalate, since you will be well within the time limit of even the lowest level priest able to cast the spell.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Can resurrection really be called "realistic" though?
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Simply put it's a spell that should change society & psychology in radical ways... but that's not usually followed through on. I've played no-reload no-resurrection runs and they are rather tense... though I installed quite a few npc mods, particularly spare tanks!