Skip to content

Can anyone suggest a good free bink to webm converter?

Given that NWN EE not playing .bik is apparently intentional, due to licensing issues.

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    Well, one the new toolset is still looking for bink files and two isn't it suppose to be extension .webm not .wbm ?
    If I thinking of the same player and file format, then VLC media player can do your conversion.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    ShadowM said:

Well, one the new toolset is still looking for bink files and two isn't it suppose to be extension .webm not .wbm ?
    If I thinking of the same player and file format, then VLC media player can do your conversion.

IDK about the new toolset. I do know that I have fan-made modules with .bik movies that simply will not play, and the game gives me the error message: CExoMoviePlayerInternal() Can't open movie: "shadowlords1.wbm." Movie must be in webm format, and have the suffix ".wbm."

So yes, the extension is supposed to be .wbm.
    Okay so: Converted using VLC
    With the extension webm: I get the same error message as above.
    With the extension wbm: The client crashes.

Either VLC's doing something wrong or the client is.

I honestly think that NWN would be better off if Beamdog just licensed Bink so we can play old movies without any problem.
    GrymlordeProont
    Yes, I agree or provide a converter program in a utility folder like old nwn had with some useful programs. I guess vlc will not work, even if you look up webm it relates to video systems and wbm does not. Sorry. I trying to get old movie video to convert too.
    BelleSorciere
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    I'm having problems with the conversion to WebM using VLC as well (problems with the vp8 codec). But ffmpeg worked for me. It can read bik files and the resulting WebM files have the correct codecs. However I haven't tested it with NWN yet. I'll do some tests tomorrow, figure out bitrates and so on.
    ShadowMBelleSorciere
    Thanks much.
    It went quicker than expected, everything worked. I tried a few options (variable bitrate, static bitrate, different quality settings), replaced movies in custom modules and in the OC. You can download ffmpeg from here: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/. It's a command-line program and comes in a zip-file, no installation required.
    The command to convert is:
    ffmpeg.exe -i INPUT_FILE.bik -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -c:a libvorbis -f webm OUTPUT_FILE.wbm
    ffmpeg.exe is in the folder "bin"
    BelleSorciereShadowM
    Thanks much. :)
    symmetric said:

It went quicker than expected, everything worked. I tried a few options (variable bitrate, static bitrate, different quality settings), replaced movies in custom modules and in the OC. You can download ffmpeg from here: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/. It's a command-line program and comes in a zip-file, no installation required.
    The command to convert is:
    ffmpeg.exe -i INPUT_FILE.bik -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -c:a libvorbis -f webm OUTPUT_FILE.wbm
    ffmpeg.exe is in the folder "bin"

Can this do whole folder conversion or just single file conversion? Thanks I got a test file working. :smile:
    edited December 2017
    Eek batch files LOL, ok got a bat file up and running that converts all in IN folder and outputs in OUT folder. Let me know if anyone wants it.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
    Beat me to it.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    If you can put up with an advert every time you open it, I used Any Video Converter Free. The settings for the conversion are video size: original, video codec: vp8 and audio codec: vorbis. Once the conversion is done just change the extension from .webm to wbm. That worked for me.

TR
    BelleSorciereProontShadowM
    Thanks much! :)
    edited January 2018
    I going to put the converter / bat on the vault because this will get buried in the forum after awhile. I use to maintain CC tutorial sticky on the old bioware forums and we also had a useful tools sticky. I suggest we get these things up in this forum so new people can get started into the world that is NWN CC easier.

Vault LINK
    BelleSorcierericoyung
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    I've been using Hewbo and it's easy peasy. http://www.hewbo.com/free-video-converter.html
    ProontShadowM
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited July 2019
    So I tried upscaling the HotU intro to 4x size and the game doesn't play it. Followed this batch command:
    ffmpeg.exe -r 29.970 -f image2 -s 2640x2400 -i example%04d.png -i original-audio.ogg -c:v libvpx -b:v 2M -c:a libvorbis -f webm OUTPUT_FILE_2M.wbm

Is that normal?
    I think it's not possible to change the resolution. You're stuck with the small window.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    symmetric wrote: »
    I think it's not possible to change the resolution. You're stuck with the small window.

tr
    symmetric wrote: »

tragic. Thanks