Skip to content

Has There Been a Change in Search Engines?

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
This discussion was created from comments split from: The Politics Thread.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited July 2019
    Not sure if this fits in the politics forum or not but thought I'd throw it out here since there may be a political explanation.

Have the search engines been whitewashed since the 90's early 2000's? I remember back in the day if I Yahood or Googled a topic I would get pages after pages of responses. After the first 5 or 10 pages the responses suddenly became surreal. I read so much weird shit it was actually quite entertaining. I've noticed that lately I only get a few pages and they all seem to be much more organized and targeted (the first page almost always seems to be the ones paid to be up front regardless of being the best hit or not). Even if I'm looking up weird shit I just don't feel like it's the same as it used to be. Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just me? If I'm not crazy, is there some reason for it?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Copypasta from the poli thread:

I wouldn't say search engines were "white washed," they just became more polished and better at doing their job. Top sites know how to gauge google and other algorithms to return top results where the local wackjob page doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if some pages like the chans get boycotted. You really don't want your great grandmother who is searching for a salad tosser to click on one of those links. The chans, and sites like it get hits by word of mouth though so they don't really need search engines.

If you refine your search a bit, you maybe able to make a couple pop up, but that, and the creation of the dark web have pushed most of them out of site.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    deltago wrote: »
    Copypasta from the poli thread:

I wouldn't say search engines were "white washed," they just became more polished and better at doing their job. Top sites know how to gauge google and other algorithms to return top results where the local wackjob page doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if some pages like the chans get boycotted. You really don't want your great grandmother who is searching for a salad tosser to click on one of those links. The chans, and sites like it get hits by word of mouth though so they don't really need search engines.

If you refine your search a bit, you maybe able to make a couple pop up, but that, and the creation of the dark web have pushed most of them out of site.

I guess that might explain it. It sure was fun doing a deep dive back in the day though. You never knew what weird-ass stuff would show up after those first few pages...