Skip to content

Combat Tutorial Please

I recently started playing PST:EE and other than combat, I'm loving it. I'm not new to CRPGs by any means but the combat system is driving me nuts. I've looked high and low for a basic tutorial and combat walk through. The manual is light on details. I understand that this is not a combat oriented game but if I do stumble into a fight, I'd like to do more than wake up in the mortuary again.

Can anyone point me to something that would help? Surely I'm not the first person who's needed combat help.

Thank you.

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Some extra information would help. How have you arranged your stats? What class are you currently using? Have you any extra companions to help you aside from Morte? (If you haven't yet, one of your first destinations in the game should be to head to the Smoldering Corpse tavern to pick up Dak'kon and possibly Ignus. Dak'kon's particularly helpful because he can change your class to Warrior or Mage and back again.)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bobbd2000bobbd2000 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the fast replies. I'm really just starting out. I'm almost through Day 2 and levelled up once. Still just TNO and Morte. Based on what I read, I set up stats to get the most out of dialog so STR 10, INT 17, WIS 17, DEX 9, CON 10, CHR 13. I also expect to play a mage. Difficulty is set to the lowest.

I do have the console commands to adjust attributes so I could cheat with CON but I'd rather not. Part of RPGing for me is juggling stats.

My main concern is combat mechanics. I thought The Witcher was bad. So a thug attacks, what do I do? Do I pause, select a weapon, and press the Attack button? Do I click on the thug? How do I get Morte to attack? Should Party AI be on or off? That said, I do know how to flee :-) Although it usually has to be to the next area. At least when I come back, they don't attack immediately.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    The stats you've chosen are absolutely horrible for early survivability, which is probably why you're struggling. Guessing you picked them because a guide said high mental stats give you better dialogue options? That's true, but for somebody who's not too familiar with the way PST works it is going to result in a lot of morgue wake-ups during the early game.

One thing you'll want to do is have Morte engage enemies first while you hang back a bit. Once they start attacking him, then you approach as the off-tank and attack while they are hitting him. Another is to make sure you are attacking with your best weapon. To do that, go through your inventory and look at how much damage each weapon deals, then put the best one in a weapon slot, then click on that weapon to make sure you are using it. Once you've done all that, then whenever you click on a red enemy, you'll automatically attack using your best weapon.

Good luck! And if you struggle, it isn't that big a deal to restart with a significantly lower CHA or INT so you'll have more points for your physical stats. (But WIS is key so I wouldn't cut that one.)
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    PS:T is unusual in that all of the stats are important to the game (this is part of why so many players adore it though). As jsaving mentioned, you've unfortunately allocated your stats in such a fashion as to make it much harder to survive in the early game. (Especially since, if I remember correctly, the Nameless One cannot use any missile weapons.) However, this is not an insurmountable problem. Having Morte tank enemies for you helps a lot, and remember, PS:T is a game where dying is not the end. There's nothing wrong with losing a fight, waking up, and then coming back later with more XP under your belt to teach those street thugs a lesson. ;)
    Thanks again. All good advice. I don't mind restarting.

I still have the original problem of combat mechanics. I found that often if I just stood somewhere, a thug would attack me and I had no idea what to do. Every other game I've played explained the process of combat, regardless of how important it was. Do I simply choose a weapon and let it play out? About all I know is that if I choose a weapon, press the Attack button (I'm playing on a Mac), and click on a thug, I'll attack him. Is that what I do when I'm attacked? And do I do the same thing with a companion such as Morte?
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Thug attacks.
    Pause.
    Click Morte's portrait on the side of the screen. His selection circle will light up.
    Click on the thug.
    Un pause, Morte should start moving towards the thug.
    When the thug is busy attacking Morte, pause.
    Click TNO portrait. His selection circle will light up.
    Click the thug.
    Un pause. TNO should move towards the thug and start attacking.

That is basic melee, and about all you can do with fighters.

You can also pause, select Morte's portrait, then right click a thug. A radial menu will come up. Hover over the options until you see "Litany of Curses". Select that, then Morte will insult the thug, making him so mad he'll only want to attack Morte. It's like a taunt from an MMORPG.

I hope this will get you started. It took me a bit of experimenting myself the first time I played years ago.
    Excellent. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That works! Thank you again.