Skip to content

Choosing my character when using Kulyok's NPC mod. Help!

I'd like some help on what class to choose as my character while using this mod.

The selections I've gone with for the other NPC's are:

Undead Hunter
Multi Cleric/Ranger
Multi Fighter/Druid
Bard
Multi Fighter/Thief

I would like to go some sort of Arcane caster (I like being able to unleash destruction with them spell thingers lmao), but I'm not knowledgable on things like Dualclass or Multiclass etc and from what I've read it would be smart for me to be able to do some damage with a weapon.

What are your suggestions guys?

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Mages in IWD are a little bit hamstrung by the fact that you'll run into a lot of elemental/undead types, which means they'll usually be resistant to one or more categories of damage (fire/cold etc.) They still have their uses, of course, especially since Mages in IWD have access to more buff spells that aren't available in other Infinity Engine games (like Emotion: Hope and Emotion: Courage). As such, if you want a Mage type that can also swing a weapon, a solid choice is a Fighter/Mage whose spell arsenal mostly comprises of buff spells for himself and the party, with a few extra Fireballs/Horror/Chaos etc. slotted in here and there for niche uses as the current dungeon requires.
    sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited July 2019
    as zaxares said, a multi-class fighter/mage is probably your best bet, especially if you are newer

the only downside is that it will take a while to get your level 6 and 7 spells and even if you play through HoW you might not even hit level 8 or 9 level spells ( depending on difficulty and if you have the extra XP option on )

or you could do a dual class like

figther 7, then dual over to mage

this will give you some combat ability, some HP and much better mage progression in terms of spells as apposed to a multi class

the only disadvantage with the dual class is that, when you dual over into mage, you will not get your fighter abilities back until you mage level hits level 8, but with that being said, you will no doubt be in chapter 2 when you hit level 7 in fighter, and then if you dual over it is entirely possible to hit level 8 in your mage class the time you hit the end of chapter 2 or early chapter 3, so at least the down time isn't too bad

but even with that said, if this is all too much to think about, there is nothing wrong with just being a normal mage, you have plenty of melee characters already, so no need to put your mage in harm's way if it isn't necessary
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I'd suggest changing your fighter/thief to a fighter/mage/thief. Huge buff upside with minimal downside since thief points aren't very important in this game. Would also add a sorcerer as scroll shortages won't apply to them.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I have just started this for the first time with a fighter/mage. I made Korin a ranger/cleric as I don’t think Nella suits it, if you don’t make one of them a thief I would go fighter/cleric or fighter/mage/cleric. As you need to fill the first slot, it helps to have a warrior type