Skip to content

Building one's self up

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
Ok, so let me start with I have no idea where I actually want to go with this. So I guess I'll just spell my brains and see where it all ends up...

So for the past 4-5 days, I've been getting some pseudo mentoring from a more successful artist after I had just happened upon their event talking about marketing. I missed the vast majority of it because I got to the store (Microsoft) later in the day. I knew nothing of the event, I mostly go to Microsoft to play (draw) on their display laptops as an escape from my mundane life of spending 60%/of it locked inside my desk with my head in a sketchbook.

The amount of drawing I do you'd think I'd be Boris Vallejo by now.

Well, it leads to a meeting where I've spent 5 days doing what he told me, putting my own projects on hold. I mean this is someone who's had clients from Microsoft to coca-cola. So this would be a perfect opportunity, right? I already feel at my lowest with nothing left to lose but a dead-end life. Especially after visiting home and seeing how much my family has shifted, some of my little cousins themselves are grown men with kids, other uncles and aunties looking like they've got their life figured out and just enjoying it until their final sleep. (Yes I know their lives aren't as perfect as it seems).

But moving...

But for four days I did would me told me, do a single comic page a day, stay consistent and work daily.

So today, after I went to him today's page and made the changes to my Instagram page as he informed me, he wanted me to take pictures of my workspace and share it with this quote,

"Whether you’re a pro or emerging artist, artists will always find the tiniest bit of a desk or table to create a new world, amazing characters, and great stories."

The idea was to indirectly build me up. Build myself up, something I have little to no experience doing so.

When one's default mentality is negativity how does one go about that?

Lately, I've had a habit of waking up and one of the first things I do is turn on YouTube and play motivational videos. Eric Thomas, Les Brown, billionaire P.a, Jordan Peterson, Gary Vaynerchuk,  Billy Alsbrooks, and many other names I had no clue existed I now tend to spend hours listening to while one waking up, while I'm drawing. And while this something pushes me to keep going, at the end of it all, it continues to feel like nothing has changed.

So the concept, the idea, the act of building oneself up... Where does it begin and where does it end? Is it immeasurable or can it be quantified? If a mind feels truly lost then can it really truly change?

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    edited July 2019
    Love Yourself, a book by Kamal Ravikant, may be of help. The main jist is that years of negative self image can be overcome with a repeated, positive thought. He talks about the bad place he was in life, and how he turned it around by repeating a simply phrase, aloud whenever possible, of "I love myself".

It's harder than it sounds, at least to me, to do it consistently. Decades of self loathing aren't erased quickly. But it helps me little by little. My Bishop at church says I'm a much brighter person than I was two years ago. If nothing else, it costs nothing to try.

Edit: P.S. Another good phrase is "I forgive myself"
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Love Yourself, a book by Kamal Ravikant, may be of help. The main jist is that years of negative self image can be overcome with a repeated, positive thought. He talks about the bad place he was in life, and how he turned it around by repeating a simply phrase, aloud whenever possible, of "I love myself".

It's harder than it sounds, at least to me, to do it consistently. Decades of self loathing aren't erased quickly. But it helps me little by little. My Bishop at church says I'm a much brighter person than I was two years ago. If nothing else, it costs nothing to try.

Edit: P.S. Another good phrase is "I forgive myself"

Yea, it's mind game, but does it really work when ones self doesn't believe the words they say. The older a person gets the harder it is to break their belief or mindset so how does one change if they can't believe it
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    According to the book, it's ok if you don't mean it at first or for a while. It still works. It just takes literally thousands of recitations for it to start sinking in. He described it as grooves in the mind. You gotta do it consistently long enough that the new grooves get deeper than the old, self hate grooves.

The later in life you start, the deeper the old grooves are, but it can still be overcome. I was 38 when I read that book.

I'm not there yet, but I am noticing improvement. My therapist has also shown me how my self hate is the cause of my neuroses and unhealthy thoughts, which feed my self hate, and so on.

I also have my faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ to help me. I don't know if you believe in any sort of religion, though, so I won't bring faith into this beyond these two sentences unless you express interest in that.

But, you're right. It's hard to counteract the way of thinking one has had for decades. It's gonna take work, but it is possible.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DragonKing "Yea, it's mind game, but does it really work when ones self doesn't believe the words they say. The older a person gets the harder it is to break their belief or mindset so how does one change if they can't believe it "

What you say, do, and consume (in the watching/reading sense, not literal food), all affects you and how you think. You pribably won't believe it at first, but vocally reaffirming yourself consistently will eventually have an affect.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    @DragonKing, the very fact that you care enough to put forth this amount of effort is something to take pride in. Some people just wallow in their misery, deciding there is nothing they can or will do about affecting change in their lives. Cheer up my friend, you're not one of these, you're just a little weary and worn. Give yourself a break.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    The practice of self affirmation used in many "self-help" books is not about stroking your ego in hope of sparking self confidence. It's more about self examination with a conscious focus on your goods qualities. Taking the time to remind yourself that you love you make the mind to find justification, no matter how insignificant it may seem in the grand scheme. These "small" things add up, reinforcing your confidence over time, and become larger victories. That seems to be the theory, as I see it. As with anything, it's success depends largely on your commitment. The personal mentoring is a great opportunity for practical application though.