Skip to content

Copper Coronet Lehtinan

I gave him the right answers about being let into the rooms, but he declared that I looked like "trouble" and won't let me in on the "entertainment" without a bribe of 200 gold....what do I do to avoid this? I've never run into this before. My character is Lawful Neutral, and has 11 wisdom and 3 charisma, if those are what matters here (everything else is 18).

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Indeed. High charisma will get you in without the bribe. Your party leader is the one who gets the charisma checked - not necessarily your protagonist, but whoever's in the first slot at the top of the screen.

Note that almost any character can reach 18 Charisma before even going to the slums, by doing the easy circus tent quest and wearing the Ring of Human Influence. Only wizard slayers are permanently stuck with low charisma, and they can always swap another party member to the front.

One thought - if you pay the bribe, does that gold go into his inventory to be dropped later when he dies?
    lolien
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    Unsure if the gold remains in his inventory. I got a workaround--I hired Jan, and he talked to Lehtinan for me. No bribe needed! :D
    Aedanlolienjackjack
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    also note, with garbage charisma, if you are the type that likes romances they might fail/not even start as well
    gorgonzolaThacoBelllolien
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Are you at the begining of SoA ? I advise you to either reroll or edit you charisma.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    "Charisma - Not ALWAYS the best choice for a dump stat." ;)
    ThacoBellsarevok57jackjack
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @DJKajuru, why? to rp a charname with low char is a lot of fun.
    you have to birbe a little more, romances can fail or fail to start, but you don't really loose anything really important.
    by the way the amount of money lost trading with shops is much more then the one needed for the few birbes and a ring, a cloak or having a npc with decent char in the leader position make much of the problems of a low char vanish.

to play a toon minmaxed so the con stat is at the minimum possible value, or for a thief the dex one or for a mage the int one is the real challenge.

and the more challenge the more fun... :)
    an 86 total roll is pretty high for my standards, well above the average npc total, i don't roll, but i give to my charname way less than that.
    sarevok57
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Also, your party members will experience morale failure more much quicker and more often with low charisma. Oh, and npc's will be more likely to fight with each other. Just because its a combat stat, doesn't mean cha is not really useful.
    DreadKhangorgonzolajackjack
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    also note, with garbage charisma, if you are the type that likes romances they might fail/not even start as well

Yikes! I think in Jaheira's romance there's one case where low charisma hurts for sure (the bandits). What other instances are there?
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Also, your party members will experience morale failure more much quicker and more often with low charisma. Oh, and npc's will be more likely to fight with each other. Just because its a combat stat, doesn't mean cha is not really useful.

How exactly is morale affected? Do we have stats on this?
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    @DJKajuru, why? to rp a charname with low char is a lot of fun.
    you have to birbe a little more, romances can fail or fail to start, but you don't really loose anything really important.
    by the way the amount of money lost trading with shops is much more then the one needed for the few birbes and a ring, a cloak or having a npc with decent char in the leader position make much of the problems of a low char vanish.

to play a toon minmaxed so the con stat is at the minimum possible value, or for a thief the dex one or for a mage the int one is the real challenge.

and the more challenge the more fun... :)
    an 86 total roll is pretty high for my standards, well above the average npc total, i don't roll, but i give to my charname way less than that.
    Ah, is 86 considered high? I consider 90 and above high but I guess that's demanding. There have been times when I spent hours on character generation to get 90 or above. :P
    gorgonzola
    The median stat sum among BG2EE companions is 85, so 86 is pretty much average by those standards. BGEE companions are a little lower, with a median stat sum of 82.
    PCs, of course, tend to be much more extreme in their dump stats than NPCs. Even Wilson doesn't have any ability scores of 3.

Also, the distribution of roll sums in character creation depends heavily on race and class. Rolling for hours to get a 90+? It takes less than 100 (visible) rolls on average to get a 90+ sum if you're rolling a Ranger or Paladin, but over 1000 if you're rolling a Dwarf. Full table here for all vanilla race/class combinations.
    gorgonzola
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I don't dumpstat Char anymore, and I'll sometimes even just give myself free Charisma points, because why not. ;) I could say I used my huge pile of money in BG1 to pay for plastic surgery, since their isn't usually enough stuff to buy if you grab pretty much everything worth grabbing.
    gorgonzolajackjack
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Mythdracon wrote: »

Yikes! I think in Jaheira's romance there's one case where low charisma hurts for sure (the bandits). What other instances are there?

i know for sure the bandit part does ( dont recall if it affects the rest )

and also if you have aerie and haer'dalis on the same team and if you have low charisma you will lose aerie permanently to haer'dalis ( rumor has it that you can battle him for her, but way back in the day when this happened to me there was no option )
    gorgonzola
    @Mythdracon 86 is not super high, but it becomes so if minmaxed to that extent.
    how many npcs you know that have all stats but 2 at 18?
    how many but minsc have a dump stat at 3?

to keep some balance to accept to have some minor disadvantage from the stat at 3 seem to me fair, and probably much more powerful then to have slightly better stats without that extreme minmaxing.

but there is nothing wrong in having high stats or extreme minmaxing if the player is having fun doing it.
    my purpose was only to tell that to roll again for better stats, so the relevant ones are still maxed but the toon has also a decent char is not really needed, not that it has not to be done.
    leaving the things like now is fun to rp, a charname very good at what he does, strong, intelligent, fith super health and dexterity, but not good at all as leader and as inspiration for his crew, that still has to count on the help of his fellow adventurers and to be their leader.

to keep some balance to accept to have some minor disadvantage from the stat at 3 seem to me fair, and probably much more powerful then to have slightly better stats without that extreme minmaxing.

but there is nothing wrong in having high stats or extreme minmaxing if the player is having fun doing it.
    my purpose was only to tell that to roll again for better stats, so the relevant ones are still maxed but the toon has also a decent char is not really needed, not that it has not to be done.
    leaving the things like now is fun to rp, a charname very good at what he does, strong, intelligent, fith super health and dexterity, but not good at all as leader and as inspiration for his crew, that still has to count on the help of his fellow adventurers and to be their leader.

I totally agree, we should all hack our charnames to give them all 18s, just to be fair and balanced.

i know for sure the bandit part does ( dont recall if it affects the rest )

and also if you have aerie and haer'dalis on the same team and if you have low charisma you will lose aerie permanently to haer'dalis ( rumor has it that you can battle him for her, but way back in the day when this happened to me there was no option )

Wow, I would love to see that. Do the two lovebirds depart permanently? Or do they stay in the party but Aerie chooses Haer'Dalis over you? I don't usually have Haer'Dalis in my party (he seemed too...weak. So does Jan, but at least Jan can dish out nice damage and do stealing well.)

Yeah, I guess you're right--I picked 18 for core stats to make the game easier for me (I'm not a great player. After many plays of BG II I'm only now beginning to actually understand some of the concepts. And I still don't get how saving throws work in BGII from a dice standpoint.) Whenever I've let the dice dictate stats, I find I get at least one core stat is terribad, or one unnecessary stat is maxed, hence my use of 18s.
    gorgonzola
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325

Wow, I would love to see that. Do the two lovebirds depart permanently? Or do they stay in the party but Aerie chooses Haer'Dalis over you? I don't usually have Haer'Dalis in my party (he seemed too...weak. So does Jan, but at least Jan can dish out nice damage and do stealing well.)

They don't depart, no. However, attempting to fight Haer'Dalis for Aerie's affections results in her choosing him over you. (And likewise, if you take the nobler path and refuse to fight, Aerie will choose you over Haer'Dalis. However, I'm unsure if your Charisma affects this portion. My Ward usually has at least Charisma 15.)
    gorgonzolaThacoBell
    str means more damage done mlee and with some ranged weapons (sling and returning daggers and axes) and more weight the toon can carry.
    dex means better thac0 ranged, better thieving abilities and better armor class.
    con means more hit points and more time before the fatigue kick in.
    int mean more survavibility to psionic int drain on hit, better chance to learn scrolls (but busting it with genius potions before learning work as good).
    wisdom mean more divine spells and better chance to get the positive results from the arcane wish spell.
    char mean, well... all the topic is about that LOL

this in very short, but as a starting guideline should suffice.

about saving throws there are many topics that deal with it, now i am in a hurry and can not search for you the right ones.
    saving against a spell or something other means to have less damage, usually 1/2, or have the spell completely ineffective or some of the effects not working. so if you save a fireball makes 1/2 damage, a wab does not block you, a glitterdust don't blind you.
    Zaxares wrote: »

They don't depart, no. However, attempting to fight Haer'Dalis for Aerie's affections results in her choosing him over you. (And likewise, if you take the nobler path and refuse to fight, Aerie will choose you over Haer'Dalis. However, I'm unsure if your Charisma affects this portion. My Ward usually has at least Charisma 15.)

Might be Cha based, because the only time I used both Aerie and Haer'dalis, they just ran off together, and it didn't seem like I had any input, but I might have had 3 cha.
    gorgonzola
    Interesting. Looks like it's not entirely clear what conditions affect Haer'Dalis and Aerie's romance.

For saving throws, I'm wondering dice-wise how it works. Do you roll under or over to beat a saving throw test?
    That value or higher is success, period. Modifiers apply as needed, so you might actually want a save vs spells of -4 or -5.
    Good to know. So -4 means the value you need to beat is lowered by 4?
    edited August 2019
    No, it's the other way around; you need to beat a higher value, which makes it harder. Technically, the various bonuses from equipment and buffs are applied to the number you have to beat and the spell's bonus/penalty is applied to your roll.

For example, I ran a test against basilisks in BG1. Without any special effort, lots of saves were failed. With the addition of effects such as a potion of invulnerability and Adoy's belt, I got my save vs. petrification down to -5 or so. Then, all saves succeeded, with displayed successful saving throws ranging from -3 to 16. From this, I concluded that the basilisk effect causes a save at -4.

There are a number of effects that cause saves at -4, but I'm not sure there's anything that matters worse than that. Saves of -3 on your character sheet will give you certain success against practically everything, with the one exception that the enemies might hit you with a Greater Malison or dispel your buffs.
    Still not sure I quite understand....are the saves a set value, with one d20 roll added to get the final result? Physically how does the calculation work for a die roll in save vs. spells?
    All right, here's the process.

First, find your saving throw number. Let's say that you're a level 9 paladin, wearing a ring of protection +1 and no other save-affecting equipment. Your base save vs. spells is 11 from being a level 9 warrior, -2 from being a paladin, and -1 for your ring, for an overall number of 8. This value is displayed on your character sheet in the "record" panel.
    Next, make a roll of 1d20. You rolled... a 9.
    Next, apply the modifiers for the effect. This time, it was a Confusion spell, which saves at -2. Your roll is reduced by 2, and becomes 7.
    Finally, compare the modified roll to your saving throw number. 7 is less than 8, so you didn't save. You're confused now.

If you succeed on a save and have the appropriate option enabled, the combat log will display your modified saving throw, as "Save vs. _ : #". If you fail the save, no numbers will be displayed and you'll just be told about whatever unfortunate effect you're suffering now.
    lolienZaxaresMythdracon
    Ah, ok. Thanks :)