Skip to content

Sarevok's Sword of Chaos upgrade and armour

RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I'm just wondering if for BG2:EE we can get to upgrade Sarevok's sword. I would like to see both the ability to upgrade the Sword of Chaos if given to Sarevok in Throne of Bhaal (either by magically reacting to him or through Cespenar) as well as the ability to upgrade it through Cromwell in Shadows of Amn. Both options could come with different stat changes and the latter would perhaps suit players who want to keep the sword for their characters rather than Sarevok.

I also would love to see the ability to reforge/acquire Sarevok's armour. It would be nice if we could find it through BG2:EE like you did with 'The Equalizer' and other weapons, armour and equipment. Like the sword you could either have it for your player character or Sarevok in ToB (though perhaps with different stats like the sword).

Comments

• SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited August 2012
    I agree for the sword ! We could reforge/upgrade it for "charname" in SoA through Cromwell as we are a child of Bhaal too. Then in ToB, if we recruit Sarevok, the sword will "recognize" him and reveal its real power.

And for the armour, maybe a sidequest could be add in ToB in order to reforge it for our brother
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I was always under the impression that Sarevok's armor/sword dissipated with him during his death, and as such is unobtainable after that. Besides, I think they left it out on purpose for the sake of him not being overwhelmingly superior to your other party members.
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2012
    The ability to upgrade the sword of chaos (Sarevok's original sword) was implemented with the Ascension mod, if I remember correctly equipping Sarevok with the sword allows an added bonus along with some slight banter.

Although, I would love to see this feature added without requiring the Ascension mod or even being able to upgrade via Cromwell then proceed to add additional bonuses upon equipping it with Sarevok.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I thought the event to upgrade his sword was already in the game, but didn't appear due to a bug or something :S There are alot of things in Ascension mod id like to see in BG2EE ^.^

Would be funny to get the change to make his armour and then laugh as i give it to Minsc: "what better craft to inspire fear into the hearts of evil than the armour of evil! We should get a hamster-shaped one for Boo too."
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

I was always under the impression that Sarevok's armor/sword dissipated with him during his death, and as such is unobtainable after that. Besides, I think they left it out on purpose for the sake of him not being overwhelmingly superior to your other party members.

I'm not so sure Sarevok would be superior to your party members if he had the armour (he would look cooler though). BG1 everyone was generally low level and by BG2 - ToB you and your party would arguably outclass BG1 Sarevok.
    kiros said:

The ability to upgrade the sword of chaos (Sarevok's original sword) was implemented with the Ascension mod, if I remember correctly equipping Sarevok with the sword allows an added bonus along with some slight banter.

Although, I would love to see this feature added without requiring the Ascension mod or even being able to upgrade via Cromwell then proceed to add additional bonuses upon equipping it with Sarevok.

I wasn't aware of any bonus, I was largely going by what other players have generally said. The banter is news to me too. I'll have to check that one out.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited August 2012
    Sarevok's armor can't be made into a viable PC-wearable item because the sprite has the sword attached to it, regardless of whether you are actually wielding one. It has no animation for attacking with different weapons and it doesn't support dual-wielding. Equipping it with any other weapon will display said weapon along with the sword in a hideous and weird graphical glitch, and trying to make it dual-wield crashes the game. Also, that sprite has no corresponding paperdoll, and is significantly bigger than other sprites (it was already bigger than BG1 character animations, let alone BG2's).
    Post edited by AndreaColombo on
    edited August 2012
    Actually, that's a good point. Now that you mention it, I do remember that glitch from playing a modded created character with Sarevok's look and soundset. I suppose Beamdog are unable to add new animations for the armour or anything to make a version that you can equip (I don't suppose you could even mod some normal BG armour to look similar to Sarevok's either).

Still maybe if we're lucky @TrentOster can include Sarevok's armour as a legendary item you can reforge (like the Equalizer in BG2) in BG3.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    With the source art assets gone, removing the sword from Sarevok's sprite and creating the animations required to make it wield other weapons is not possible (were it possible, it would still be a HUGE amount of work, which is why they didn't let you keep that armor in ToB upon recruiting Sarevok in the first place; I remember David Gaider mentioning this on the BioWare forums back in the day). Besides, the size problem would still persist.
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2012

Also, that sprite has no corresponding paperdoll, and is significantly bigger than other sprites (it was already bigger than BG1 character animations, let alone BG2's).

hehe well Sarevok's a big guy ;) it's a shame that sword was apart of his animation, in my younger days I would morph myself into sarevok and walk around slaying everyone.. I felt pretty bad ass, but equipping any swords sent the animation hay-wire.

I didn't realise it got shot down back in the day. It is probably unworkable, but I think the Sword of Chaos idea is still viable and a good suggestion.

Perhaps it could be worth thinking about adding another piece of equipment that could be said to be part of Sarevok's gear? Maybe a Bhaal-themed amulet or ring with unique stats and bonuses. It could please people who felt there wasn't enough of a tangible reward for beating Sarevok and those who felt there wasn't enough carry over from BG1 to BG2 (although technically it's not actually carrying over since it, much like the Sword of Chaos, didn't actually appear in BG1).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I love the Sword of Chaos in BG2, it's a shame it gets outclassed by Lilarcor so early in the game.
  • HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    I hate Lilarcor...

I hate Lilarcor...

That was that damn talking sword, wasn't it?
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130

I hate Lilarcor...

MURDER! DEATH! KILL!! XD
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited October 2012
    When we finsh the game in both normal vanilla BG and BGT/TuTu, we always carry as content the Two Handed Sword +2 (Sarevok Sword of Chaos).

We can carry it the entire saga (i did it by not selling the sword and just dumped it in the bag of holding until ToB). When we meet again Sarevok in the Pocket Plane, after the deal he make with the main character, he complain that while he could manage to reform himself, he coudn't reshape his armor or sword, and sword that by the way i have with me!!!

So, if i have the item in my belongings shouldn't the item get an upgrade? Cos it's a lot strange he complain about the absent of a sword that is exactly in my inventory. He says that without his essence to force the sword true powers that would be useless, but in his hand maybe the sword should have more bonus (even if invisible as raising the chance of deathbringer attacks triggers, for more cheese than this can appear).

I put it on Bugs, but if any moderator find that this thread better fit a feature request, be free to move.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Agreed.
    Although there is already similar feature request:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3954/sarevoks-sword-of-chaos-upgrade-and-armour
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    It is done in the Ascension mod, that is one of the mods I like to see them make official
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Why should Sarevok get his old sprite from BG1? There is already a fully armored version of Sarevok inside BG2 (in Hell).

Besides, the quest to aquire his old armor could leed to an armor that only looks like the old one in the inventory and on the description screen, but has a fully new, adjusted sprite in-game, that looks similar to the original, but lacks the increased size and has full support for changeable weapons, dual wielding and whatnot.

That armor could be dealing 1D6 piercing damage for every successful hit on wearer (because of the spikes), have an AC of 1, or maybe even 0 and give a magical resistance against physical damage of 25%, while only being wearable by Sarevok and not just any Bhaalspawn. The helm could also allow for casting Aura of Horror a couple times a day and give an AC bonus of 1.

The Sword of Chaos could become a +3, stealing 1D6 damage at 15% of each successful hit. Updateable by Cespenar to a +4, stealing 1D6 damage at 25% of each successful hit. Just imagine using that with Improved Whirlwind attack...

The only downsides for those weapons would be the horrible, evil actions the PC would have to take, in order to get the armorset. Sacrificing people in the pocketplane, stealing stuff from temples, etc. Each action would give a -1 on reputation if it was really high and even -2 if it gets to neutral. Completing the set would also change the alignment of the PC to something more evil and make more people react hostile to the party if Sarevok has his stuff on.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Sarevoks armor disintegrates at the end of BG1 And we get his sword, wtich can be upgraded with the ascension mod.