Skip to content

[SPOILERS] Yoshimo does not appear in Spellhold

He was meant to appear right? For *plot reasons*? But he didn't. So when I return to the Copper Coronet after the Underdark, what will happen?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    No, he wasn't meant to appear.
    But his geas kills him if you elect not to bring him to Spellhold, so you cannot leave him behind and then have him rejoin the party once you return to Athkatla.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    He doesn't appear if he isn't in your party when go to Brynnlaw.
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    I see. So we don't get his heart and the quest for tons of xp if he wasn't in the party?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    yep, that content is only available if he is in the party when you leave town, RP it has sense as he can not
    betray you and be on the island
    , but that choice gives some problems.
    the main one is not the missed xp, but that a 6 people party without him has to loose forever a NPC or be forcecd to
    tell imoen to find her way home alone, loosing for her much more xp as you will find her again only after the underdark, a feature request to avoid at least that has been already filed and maybe in the future that thing will be changed.

It seems that the original developers gave for granted that yoshimo is the party thief, even if other thieves was availlable, and loosing the xp, that after all is only 200k, not game changing at the point you get it, is not the main problem.
    Darn, ok. I was hoping to be able to farm him for the XP--maybe it would have been better to take him along and replace him with Imoen after his disappearance.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The rule of thumb I use: if there's an open slot in the permanent party or if I'm planning on using Imoen long-term, bring Yoshimo to Spellhold. Otherwise, leave him behind and tell Imoen to find her own way out. She'll be in the Copper Coronet if you want to do something with her.

You'll miss out on the 200K experience reward for the party, but that's a small price to pay for keeping everyone together for the immensely rewarding Chapter 4/5 sequence. You don't want to leave someone in Athkatla and pick them up later a million XP behind the rest of the party.

Also, when I'm planning to use Imoen, I go to Spellhold fairly early, ideally so that my protagonist reaches 1.25 million XP just before recruiting her. Any later, and she starts falling behind the party experience level.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Alternatively, if you're a filthy cheater like me, you could just open up EE Keeper and raise Imoen's XP to match the rest of the party's. XD Just... try to avoid feeling guilty when Imoen asks you why it took you so long to come rescue her. >.>
    Haha, well, makes sense guys. It's funny how long-term players like us strategize our parties around dramatic story events which *we know* will happen. :P
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    While I definitely enjoy the romp through the Brynnlaw, the Sahuagin city and the Underdark, it definitely sucks for certain play styles. It's a bit like the Orient Express. Awesome, but still a railroad. Having to plan around Imoen or be forced to permanently strand someone in Spellhold was a jerk move on the developer's part.

As much as I love SoA, and consider it the best of the series, I have always been aggravated by the way Imoen and Yoshimo were handled.
  • gaiaasanagaiaasana Member Posts: 2
    Currently running my first play through. I didn't realize that if I had 6 members, I would have to drop one when Imoen showed up. I was running a three Druid party :), I left behind Cernd.
    Wow, is two druids good? Usually I stick to one divine caster, two arcane mages, and the rest are warriors/thieves of different types. My evil group has Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, Jan, and me (a blade bard).
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Druids are superb against mages because of their insect spells but pretty lackluster otherwise, though fighter/druids can take advantage of synergies between iron skins and melee DPS. There is also one druid in the game, Jaheira, who is able to cast some cleric-only spells like raise dead so having her in the party reduces the need to also carry a cleric.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Don't forget about nature's beauty. Its an aoe guaranteed blindness that sometimes just kills.
    gorgonzola