Skip to content

How much of a "work in progress" is NWN:EE?

Hi everyone,

I've liked playing NWN quite a bit and was glad to hear that Beamdog released an Enhanced Edition. :)

But, as I was thinking about getting NWN:EE, I've been unable to learn how much of it is "finished".
I know I'd be getting a running game, but I wonder what the difference is between NWN:EE and the Enhanced Editions for the Infinity Engine games?

For example, the latest patch introduced the shaman class to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. That's great, getting some new content in the form of a new class for an already released game.
At the same time, I'm pretty sure we're never going to see another whole expansion similar to Heart of Winter or Trial of the Luremaster from Beamdog for that game. And why would we? It's an updated and fine-tuned version of Icewind Dale, so I wouldn't expect them to come up with something completely new for the game.
So, with Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition you know what you're getting yourself into (more or less), before you've even bought the game.

But with NWN:EE, I'm not really sure.

The game's stable and has been updated to run on modern systems. Great!
We've also been seeing some updated premium modules with new content, which is really nice!
But how much of the basics in NWN:EE are still being worked on?
I don't mind new modules (obviously) and don't really care about server side/builder stuff (single player here), but will we be seeing new models, a graphics overhaul, new game rules or some other fundamental changes to the game?

In other words: When will the "enhanced" part of NWN:EE be finished?

Maybe all of that information is available somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a concise answer to that question in the FAQs or somewhere else. Did I miss it?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2019
    The work of enhancing the models and textures of NwN:EE has been pretty much come to a halt for over a year. Beamdog has confirmed that once the new Shader is completed, things will pick up once again on that front. But this procedure will take time to reach completion.

As for when, exactly? No one knows. My gut feeling tells me that it will take years until all of the 3D assets are successfully "enhanced".
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Not a shader, but the renderer. A lot of work is being held on till the work on the new renderer is finished.

https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2019
    Not a shader, but the renderer. A lot of work is being held on till the work on the new renderer is finished.

https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition

How many times have you posted that trello link in response to every single question?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The same amount of times the question about plans regarding NWN:EE has been asked.
    The same amount of times the question about plans regarding NWN:EE has been asked.

You should just write a bot that posts the Trello link or "Thanks for your feedback!". No one would tell the difference.
    Except for there's a real dialogue happening every time, between a dev and a player. What is the point you're trying to make, exactly?
    No point. I think 18 months of being told to read the trello has just started to wear me down a bit.
  • FilipseFilipse Member Posts: 36
    jglvz256 wrote: »
    No point. I think 18 months of being told to read the trello has just started to wear me down a bit.

< Than 3 Months on trello.

Still more than half a year since last actual update, lots of talk, little showing results.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Except that one of the two bottlenecks is no more. The 64 bit build is currently being tested by those of us who have the Development build. That was needed for NwN EE to be released on IOS (aka Apple). The byproduct of this should be that because more memory is accessible, (in theory at least) larger modules may be built for everybody and eventually (once the renderer is done) better graphics. Once the majority of bugs have been found via the dev build, that will leave the other bottleneck - the renderer.

TR
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2019

How long might it take to complete all the jobs on that link?
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/05/may-18-livestream-recap.html :

"Our Trello page keeps on growing. We have a big Roadmap in front of us and want to substantially improve Neverwinter Nights and step it forward. Probably, everything will take 3 or 4 years to materialize."
    edited August 2019
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/05/may-18-livestream-recap.html :

"Our Trello page keeps on growing. We have a big Roadmap in front of us and want to substantially improve Neverwinter Nights and step it forward. Probably, everything will take 3 or 4 years to materialize."

I don't want to be tedious but 3 or 4 years since now or since that post?
    or 3,4 years after the release of the new renderer???

Also ,i'd like to know what will be the priority with which you will face the various jobs that have been requested to you on the trello platform.

Yes,i know what your a doing now 64 bit>new renderer > then other stuff like porting the game over console.

But what comes next? which job has priority?

I'm asking because it's in my interest to know when some of those requests on the trello platform will be implemented.
    Without those I have no reason to launch the game at the moment.
    That was a phrase from the livestream, May 18, 2018.
    edited August 2019
    That was a phrase from the livestream, May 18, 2018.

This means that in 3 years,even less, all that has been published on the trello board will be realized, isn't it?
    While what will happen to all the proposals done on the input board of trello?
    this one :https://trello.com/b/Lb79bbgy/neverwinter-nights-input
    Even all those requests will be realized or only those present on the roadmap ?
    https://trello.com/c/RyDqBTCF/6-what-can-you-expect-from-this-board
    https://trello.com/c/MZTKTIAX/32-what-you-can-expect-from-this-board

The Input board is for developers to pick features they want to work on. The Roadmap board includes different columns with different approaches to be actually worked on.
    Yes, this is a fair view, @Meandre.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    They say the heart of Neverwinter is still beating
    And from what I've seen I believe 'em
    Now the old boy may be barely breathing
    But the heart of Neverwinter, heart of Neverwinter is still beating

Thank you! Goodnight! Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    Maybe we should have contest and see who comes up with best lyrics for whole song "The Heart of Neverwinter"