Skip to content

[Bug/Items] Potion of Perception (POTN39.ITM) is BG1 version; gives wrong stealth bonus

IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
edited July 2012 in Fixed
Current behaviour: The Potion of Perception's (POTN39.ITM) item description states that it confers a +20% bonus to Hide in Shadows, but it uses Opcode #59 (Move Silently Bonus).

Suggested behaviour: The Potion of Perception should use Opcode #275 (Hide in Shadows Bonus), instead.

Games affected: BG2, BGEE.

Notes: This bug is present in BG2, as well. Also, I noticed the BGEE version of POTN39 has a second ability header, directly inherited from BG1 (and nowhere to be found in the BG2 incarnation). I'm not sure what this ability is for, but one of its effects is to cause exploding death!
Post edited by CameronTofer on

Comments

• CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Fixed, the item gives a bonus to hide in shadows and shouldn't make anything explode.
  • IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    Confirmed fixed. POTN39 correctly grants the bonus to HiS, now.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Not exactly - should the bug be fixed that Rangers have STEALTH (applied to move silently AND hide in shadows), but thieves have move silently ONLY in BG2 (and no hide in shadows), the potion of perception should be applied to STEALTH.
    Stealth was bifurcated into two opcodes with the advent of the BG2 engine: Opcode #59 (Move Silently Bonus), which originally served as the stealth modifier, and Opcode #275 (Hide in Shadows Bonus). Both effects provide equivalent bonuses to the rangers' stealth score.

Also: the Potion of Perception is not usable by rangers.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    To further clarify, "Stealth" does not exist in P&P AD&D, and was introduced by BioWare to group the Hide in Shadows and Move Silently abilities. This was reverted to P&P in the BG2 engine (i.e. "Stealth" does not exist any longer in the IE; in fact, I don't recall ever seeing my Rangers' ability marked as "Stealth" in BG1: I always thought it was "Hide in Shadows". Then again, I've always been playing the Italian version so the translation may have been off).
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2012
    If you use an editor like Shadowkeeper, you can see that a ranger has a "hide in shadows" and a "move silently" value equal to his stealth score from the in-game character sheet, while a thief only has a "move silently score", a thief's "hide in shadows" basic skill is always 0. I reported this elsewhere, but if that bug is fixed (thieves should also have "stealth", like rangers), the potion of perception might need to be adapted again.
    If you use an editor like Shadowkeeper, you can see that a ranger has a "hide in shadows" and a "move silently" value equal to his stealth score from the in-game character sheet, while a thief only has a "move silently score", a thief's "hide in shadows" basic skill is always 0.
    I could not reproduce this bug with BG2:ToB v26498. Both ShadowKeeper and NearInfinity reported the invested thief skill points correctly.