Skip to content

An experiment . . . failed?

I was curious to see how an avenger->fighter dual would look. I made the avenger in BG1, edited it's strength to 17, imported it to BG2, got another level for level 5 spells, dualled it, then imported it into ToB.

It got spells back, but not the shapeshifts. Even tried resting, but it didn't work.

I tried it a second time, and it still didn't bring the ability back.

Do you think it's a bug? Or is that normal when dualling out of druid?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    That sounds like a bug. You should have the shapeshifting abilities appropriate to your druid (avenger) level.
    ElysianEchoes
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I tried it differently. I imported into SoA, stayed at level 8 dualled, then imported into BP2, getting enough xp for level 9 fighter.

In BP2, leveling doesn't happen until after you're in game. After leveling, my character was able to use shapeshifts.

In ToB, leveling happens before you're in game. Maybe that's where the bug is. If you level past where you get abilities back in the character generator of ToB, it doesn't restore the shapeshifts.

As an aside, the dual did result in the salamander having 2 attacks per round and the sword spider having 6. That's pretty cool. And the salamander spear doesn't benefit from grandmastery in spears, for the curious.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I believe the vanilla versions of the shapeshift weapons are all classified as "hand to hand", which doesn't benefit from any proficiency you can take - but I'm not sure, and I can't easily check right now. Two-handed style might work with them, though. They should gain extra attacks with warrior class levels.

As for that bug - verified. A character with an incomplete dual class, imported from SoA to ToB and gaining enough experience to complete the dual, does not get back any of the abilities belonging to the original class/kit. A bounty hunter/mage dual won't get their traps back, either regular or special. A kensai/thief doesn't get either Kai or the attack/damage boost. Only basic stuff like weapon/armor usability, thief skills, and spellcasting is recovered.

Now, if you play normally and complete SoA before importing to ToB, you're unlikely to have a problem with this; your character will have over 2.5 million total XP before you reach ToB, and won't gain any XP in the transition.
    ElysianEchoes