Skip to content

[v1.53] Helga, a Dwarven Priestess of Haela Brightaxe for BG:EE and SoD and EET

SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
edited February 2021 in BG:EE Mods
yvd9a1rcm1yy.png

Introduction

Coming from the Hall of Great Hunts far to the north, Helga comes out of retirement after years of temple duty and child caring to relive her younger fighting years. In BG1 and SoD she will gladly fight alongside a protagonist, so long as they help her protect her people or hunt her quarry.

Possessing remarkable strength despite her age, she is not as durable as her other warrior kin, and should position herself carry. Able to temporarily call into her hand a powerful blade, she is still nonetheless able to rip through enemy lines. She is not an available romance, but still provides a warm friendship for those who pursue it and enjoy battle as much as she.

She can be found between the Friendly Arm Inn and Beregost in BG1, and with the Dwarven Dig in SoD. The Dwarven Dig quest must be resolved for her to leave the area into chapter 9.

Details

Race: Dwarf
Class: Priest of Haela Brightaxe
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

STR: 18
DEX: 14
CON: 14
INT: 11
WIS: 12
CHA: 11
Total: 80

Mod Content

– One new party member with a unique priest kit and spells.
– 6 friendship talks with the PC in BG1, 4 in SoD
– Banters with every BG:EE and SoD NPC
– A short questline in BG1, incorporated into the Dwarven Dig questline
– No romance
– Crossmod content with Emily, Helga, Kale, and Recorder.
- Optional Music Soundtrack

vrnc5gnk0ds9.png

Q&A
Q: Is this mod compatible with EET?
A: Yes. (If for some reason it is not, let me know.)

Q: Will you merge this mod with the other four in a single download?
A: Currently this is difficult for BG1, as the first three were heavily traified, and share some file names with the same number scaling. This means a lot of renaming would be required to get the mod to work. Thus I would rather spend time developing content for BG2 than configuring them in one file. It's not an explicit no, but definitely low priority at best. The BG2 parts of these mod however, will be an all in one file with convenience in mind.

Q: When will the BG2 content be released?
A: I'm in planning stages at the moment, and will start writing/coding officially on the 1st. I'll make a thread on that date in the BG2 mod section where you can follow progress. My estimated time of completion is an ambitious March. That'd be the one year anniversary of my first three mods.

If you have other questions, post below and I will respond swiftly.
bi1bphuvqfow.png
Post edited by Skitia on
leeuxilduderinoBrokenkatanamegamike15EekanImpronaldoGusindaOxvaFina92Mantis37RaduzielAerakarOlvynChuruSCARY_WIZARDSanctiferZaghoulKamigoroshiAcifer_DD_

Comments

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    ETAs are really hard to follow through on, but here is the fourth NPC. Please let me know if there are any bugs or it doesn't install. I nearly slipped and forgot to include some needed fixes before publishing this.

As noted in Feedback, this NPC is designed to be a little lighter in content for those who don't want too much custom content. She has all of the same NPC features as my others, though a few less conversations and no romance.

My last NPC should be done by August 31st, if I have better luck with ETAs. Her install will include all of the other characters of mine as well, so there won't be any need to download five different mods.

This five-in-one will be hosted on the popular download sites, and if I finish making it from scratch, my own website just for mods.
    megamike15DJKajuru
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    having a 5 in one pack download will be great. will make it easier to install your mods and cross mod would also be simpler.

not sure how much of a hassle this will cause for bg 2 as it's a longer game with way more interjections and talks and banters that have to be written compared to bg 1 and sod.
    leeux
    Technically BG2 has less banters than BG1, but a lot more interjections.

It may be a bit of a hassle but I still plan on doing them all in one for BG2 as well. It's more important as their approval system requires easier methods of interweaving them in each other's stories and quests, and they have some knowledge of each other's identities as well.

Also I forgot to mention it, but Helga's SoD location is with the dwarves of Dumathoin. Finishing the dwarf quest is necessary to keep her in the party, else she'll leave upon exit of the cave and go back to the dwarves.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2019
    I've pushed DoF's Helga's files. They can be found here . This is not an official release yet.

Those will give to Helga DoF's version of the Luckmaiden of Haela.

Congrats for the release, @Skitia and thanks for this partnership :)
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    Skitia
  • jyljyl Member Posts: 9
    hello this mod doesn't work with 'french' installation ,i have Bgee +Sod...
    There is no French installation. The only language is English at the moment.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I found a bug: Helga's starting shield is not a normal medium shield. It is actually the Shield of the Order +4 from Throne of Bhaal; Beamdog brought it over from BG2 and left it unused, but left its icon, name and description the same as a normal medium shield.

In Helga's CRE file, replace the SHLD32 item with SHLD14.

Also, her starting warhammer is not a normal warhammer; it's an item from the Candlekeep party combat tutorial (the one where the five NPCs temporarily join). It's one of the items that would disappear if you left the tutorial with it.

If this bothers you, you could replace the TTHAMM1 item with HAMM01.
    edited August 2019
    I'll fix both in an update this weekend, thanks.

OlvynChuruilduderinoGusindaRaduziel
    Updated to 1.1

-Fixed both weapon changes OlvynChuru pointed out.

OlvynChuruOxvaleeux
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2019
    @Skitia Error installing version 1.1
    ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'
    Resource [BBAELOTH.DLG] not found in KEY file:
    	[./chitin.key]
    ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/Helga/dialogue/X3HelgaB.d]: Failure("resource [BBAELOTH.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    Stopping installation because of error.

BGEE + SoD v2.5.17.0 (Steam version with Modmerge installed).

Edit: I think the correct file would be BDBAELOT.DLG

Edit2: Yup, changing BBAELOTH to BDBAELOT in X3HelgaB.d allowed me to successfully install the mod.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hmm, strange. Mine installed OK on the Beamdog version 2.5.
    Raduziel
    edited September 2019
    It actually is supposed to be BBAELOTH and definitely NOT BDBaelot. For some reason I didn't include the Baeloth fix in this mod, if you already had it, or had any of my other three mods, it would work (Thus Zaghoul had no issues). If you don't have it, you get the error. I'll upload it so the mod includes the patch regardless soon.
    Raduziel
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Hi, was wondering what Recorder’s alignment is? Thanks!
    Neutral Good. I've debated a lawful alignment since all of my other characters are non-lawful, but her current characterization fits NG the best, so presently, her sheet has her at NG.

ilduderinoleeux
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited September 2019
    Woo hoo, great thanks ?

Would be cool to also know her stats, she looks fun and I like the kit concept.

Would also be fun to know which of your npcs are planned as BG2 romances, if any. Thanks!
    Post edited by ilduderino on
    Stats:
    • Strength: 10
    • Dexterity: 18
    • Constitution: 11
    • Intelligence: 17
    • Wisdom: 16
    • Charisma: 15
    I may toy with them a bit but this is the ball park for them.

Each of them have a romance except Helga in BG2.

Recorder also has a few cross-mod banters I've made with AionZ with Aura as well in BG1
    ilduderinoleeux
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    BGEE Helga works just fine, but I've run into a problem when recruiting her in SoD. In SoD she starts at 7th level with 7th level Hit Points, but her actual experience is listed as '0/ next level 110,000'. This in effect only gives her 1st level spells to cast. I am thinking she should level up as well given my PC's EXP but she does not.
    Any ideas?

I'm running Beamdog BGEE & SoD 2.5
    I'll fix that in an update this week so her experience is like my other NPCs, thanks for letting me know.
    Zaghoul
    I'll try to get the Helga fix in today, I forgot to do this.

Permitted no distractions, my fifth NPC should be done this month as well.
    ilduderinoleeuxGusinda
    Just uploaded Version 1.3, the experience bug is fixed in this version (Upon update it should correctly set her experience.)
    Zaghoulleeux
  • zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    edited October 2019
    Got a crash with Helga : not long after recruiting her, 1st camp in the wilds, a talk with her about cooking, the game crashes as soon as I click on "end dialog"... It's with version 1.3.
    It's a surprising level 1 character, her sword makes her very powerful, but since she is a priest it won't scale with her level and so it will probably become harder and harder... but anyway it's fun to have her at least for now, except for the crash, of course !

Sleeping in a tavern is a good workaround : you still get the dialog about the food, but this time it doesn't crash the game.
    Post edited by zelurker on
    I'll test this and see what is wrong, thanks for the bug report.

Yeah the magic sword only scales every ten levels. It's probably powerful at the beginning of each of the first three installments/ending of ToB but in the middle of any of them it can be replaced with any other weapon, especially given it only lasts so long in duration.
    After all I needed to go back to a previous save to test something else in my team and this time I got the crash related to this dialog about food in the tavern ! Which means I can't sleep !
    Oh well, I'll wait to see if you find a solution...
  • prochyprochy Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Great mod! Love your work and can't wait for Recorder.

There is small issue with crossmod dialogue with Kale, @5 (~Eh, well, you got me there too.~) is missing in .tra file, which causes installation to fial in case Kale is already installed.
    edited October 2019
    Working on the rest issue, I think it is a memory leak issue. I can replicate it sometimes, and sometimes it works fine, while reinstalling also fixes it sometimes.

And I think the crossmod bug is actually a bug with Kale, going to fix that with him.
    edited October 2019
    @prochy

Kale is updated, so for your crossmod dialogue issue, using Kale 1.31 should fix it. Helga doesn't use .tra files except for her journal, so I'm assuming Kale is at fault.

@zelurker
    For the Helga rest issue:
    1: Rest at any point after installing this mod before having Helga in the party.
    Or:
    2: Remove Helga from party (Tell her to wait in the area so you don't have to find her), rest, then re-recruit her.

I'd actually recommend doing this for any new mod installed (Step 1 anyway), it seems to prevent a lot of oddities from happening in the engine in general.

As for mod-progress, I'm not sure if the site will be ready when Recorder is, but making some good work so far.

585a0zcmcg7m.png

Post edited by Skitia on
    megamike15
    @Skitia
    I think the issue might be related to some mod I installed after beginning this game, but which was not directly related to Helga ! Maybe it changed more stuff than what I anticipated, anyway I finally decided to restart again (must be at least the 3rd time I restart before nashkel's mines !) and this time I couldn't reproduce the crash...
    Too bad the ee version didn't add at least some optional stuff to prevent these crashes or at least to get some info about exactly what's going on...
    Anyway sorry for the inconvenience, I really didn't think it was because of a mod installation... !
  • prochyprochy Member Posts: 12
    @Skitia
    Thank you for fast fix... can't really try now as I already started game. For me working fix was adding the line to Helga/Tra/English/Setup-English.tra file, thats why I thought it was realted to that.

@zelurker, @Skitia
    Have the same issue with crashing when trying to sleep, also moded game.
    Installed mods: BG1UB, BG1NPC, CDTWEAKS, HELGA, KALE, GLAMNPCPACK, SCS.
    Found it is related to her FLAMEBOLT innate abality (after removing it, things seem to work without any issues).
    I'll look at her flamebolt ability, otherwise I'd try my above fix for resting.