Skip to content

Weird "darkvision" bug?

I've been working on a module and whenever I load it, the screen is black and white as if the PC has been under the darkvision effect. The weird thing is that I haven't used anything related to darkvision in any script. This happens with any character I try to use, and it only happens with my module. Even weirder: if I load it via the Test Module (F9) from the toolset, the effect is no longer there. It only happens when I load NWN from Steam. Any idea on what's going on?

Comments

• gpeddinogpeddino Member Posts: 50
    More info... I just loaded Siege of Shadowdale and the same problem comes up when I enter the local inn. The outdoors area is normal, though. How weird is that?
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    Darkvision doesn't make the game black and white. However, the new "Shadowplane" shaders I put in my Arelith Changes Steam Workshop Item do. If you are not playing on Arelith, you should not be using this workshop item. While the black and white effect might be a recent obvious indicator, the files in the Arelith Changes workshop item specifically change some basic elements of the game specifically for the way the Arelith Admins want the server to behave.

Encumbrance values are adjusted, for example, so those will be incorrect when playing outside of Arelith. Spears will be (or try to be) one handed, harper scouts can take Divine Might, and a bunch of other changes that probably aren't desirable in a single player or non-Arelith multiplayer experience.

Here is the warning I've added to the Workshop Item:
    Four of the game's default 8186 shaders have been edited to allow Arelith to force the rendering of the game in certain areas to render without color. This, combined with Arelith scripts, ensure that this colorless gameplay only happens in Shadow Plane areas.

However, due to the restrictions of how shaders are invoked, without these Arelith scripts, gameplay on other servers and single player modules may result in greyscale if the fog color for the area is black. If you intend to play single player or on another server with black fog color areas, it is recommended that you temporarily unsubscribe to this package, play Neverwinter Nights without Steam (launching the nwmain.exe in bin/win32 directly) or ignore the greyscale effect in inappropriate places.

I know it's not convenient, and sudden, and I do wish there was a way to have messaged all of the subscribers, but right now, since shader overrides do not re-compile mid-game (if received from NWSync, for example), this has decidedly been the best way to achieve the effect now featured on the server.
  • gpeddinogpeddino Member Posts: 50
    Thank you for the heads up, that's most likely it. I tried Arelith a while ago, that info must have passed me by. Thanks!