Skip to content

Need help with ASG Creature Spawn

ThakeThake Member Posts: 14
Hi there

I'm trying to figure out how to build, with no knowledge about scripting. I've come across Alleyslink"s Persistent World Base Module (APWB) that comes with Donnie Wilbank's ASG Spawnkit.

It's described very well and I've managaed to place a few spawns, but I cannot set the respawn time, as there's no variable for it. So, how do I set a specific timer?

In addition, the Spawn kit actually needs an area to have two events set. OnEnter and OnExit - however, I've already set a script on the OnExit (to clean up the area to prevent server lag). Now, how can I set multiple scripts OnExit for an area?

Thanks

Comments

• QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    Have you ever tried the NESS spawn system? I have liked it the most.

https://neverwintervault.org/search/node/NESS
  • ThakeThake Member Posts: 14
    I haven't. I am brand new to building.

Thanks for a suggested alternative and an answer at all, it's appreciated. I'll have a look at the NESS spawn system
  • Pixel_MayhemPixel_Mayhem Member Posts: 61
    I've used the NESS Spawn system and I can say out all the systems out there NESS is the easiest to use.
    Thake
    edited September 2019
    I've DL'd it and I can say, yes.. it's fairly easy to use.

BUT: It needs a script in the OnHeartBeat event of the area... and from what I've heard... over and over again from various builders all over the years: DO NOT PUT STUFF IN ON HEARTBEAT EVENTS. Well, as little as possible, that is.

Will I run into problems, by having most areas covered with OnHeartBeat events? Performance problems, to be specific.
    NESS should have OnEnter and OnExit scripts for each area. I don't have any in the OnHeatbeat.

The system is great for modules and for PWs. I run a PW I also used this system for an NWN2 PW(no longer running).

The only thing is doesn't do that I would like is random monster tables. Though I have figured out how to accomplish this over server resets, but there are other ways to add randomness to areas also.
    Thake
    Again, I am just building a PW, got myself a few areas, messing around with lots of stuff

I've tried both now, finding the NESS comfortable, but yeah, after reading the tutorial, it says I should put a script there:

u9nv43lrq8zc.png

My apologies, I haven't used that script in a long time, I forgot about it. There are other files that set up pseudo-heartbeats. Either way you do it, you should be fine.

the two files I use are:
    OnEnter: spawn_smpl_onent
    OnExit: spawn_smpl_onext

I don't know if you are a scripter or not, but open them up and read them, you will start to get a handle on what they do over time. This game taught me how to script/program to the extent I can. Which is limited, but I usually with time, trial and error and many times help from others, get cool crap working well!

Thanks for clarifying - I am not a scripter, far from it actually (can't even get a script right where a door casts a knock spell after a successful conversation).

But I'll check those scripts out. Thank you for taking your time and replying