Skip to content

Portraits not highlighting yellow even if spell is not known.

Hey guys, long time no see.
I finished a BG1:EE playthru last week and since then moved into BG2:EE

Whenever a character has learned his maximum amount of spells for his or her INT,
even if a spell is not know, it will not highlight the portrait in yellow. Nor does the "Scribe Scroll" option appear.
In BG1:EE it would but you'd get the message : "You have reached the maximum spell you can learn for that level" or something amongst those lines.

I find this extremely annoying and my only trick is to save, then drink an INT potion, then try and see if I can learn. Reload if I cannot so I can keep just one of such potions on my characters.
I'm wondering if it is a known issue? and is it going to get fixed or not?

On a side note, amazing work on version 2.5 guys. Honestly! Before (3 years ago) I was running version 1.3 from steam to get the classic look... But with the options in the menues, now you can run latest version as you want it graphics-wise. The only thing I miss are the old spellbook art but it's not a deal-breaker.

As a suggestion, maybe port over all the voices from BG1 into BG2 (And vice-versa) automatically? I managed with the override folder, but there are some voice queues that are missing, and since you overhauled the game to well, why not just make all voices available in both games by default? Minor nitpick.

Good job. <3

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    it could be the UI itself

are you using a modded UI?

im pretty sure i get the same thing in bg2ee but i dont remember what happens in bg1ee when it comes to this since i never scribe more than a couple of spells per level
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    Vanilla game except custom portraits and voices.

In BG1 it still highlight the portrait to yellow but when trying to learn if maxed will say: "max amount spell reached or something... or just tell you cant learn" -- time to drink those +int potions.

In BG2, portrait does not highlight, and the "learn" button disappears (as if you already knew the spell)
    Which leads to confusion about if I have learnt the darned spell or not.

I have to plie-up all scroll in a scroll case and THEN drink a potion to make sure I already have the spells... Which is very annoying. My (cheat) solution is to give my non-Bhaalspawn casters 19 int to make sure they can learn everything (not a problem with my main character if she's an arcane caster).

It's very easily reproducible with a low INT character, lots of gold and access to a store with all the spells. Or just gift yourself in a MP game a scrollcase full of level 1 spells.

Until (and IF) it's "fixed", 19 int is my new norm for all arcane spellcasters.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Francois42424
    as int in the game affects only the number of spells that a toon can learn and the chance to learn them (but not on all difficulty levels), as with potions or other ways is possible to rise will to the desired level (at high level i use the wish spell that grants 25 int to all the party) and as the pnp feature that forbid to cast high level spells with low int is not implemented in the computer game to cheat on the npcs int is surely not game breaking.

unless you are fighting against mind flyers, and there it can make all the difference in the world... :)

i use a different route, i save, drink potions with every arcane caster and note in a piece of paper all the spells they can learn, checking the scroll bags and the merchants inventories.
    then i reload and buy/learn the needed spells.
    i also learn the spells in bunches as the potions are many, but not infinite, and useful also in other situations (minsc and flyers...), if you delay a little to learn a not key spell it is not the end of the world, my gameplay is not affected.

a better UI would be welcome, but it is not so time consuming and does not nead a cheat that can change the balance, even if only against a single type of enemies.

i hope it helps.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    @Francois42424
    as int in the game affects only the number of spells that a toon can learn and the chance to learn them (but not on all difficulty levels), as with potions or other ways is possible to rise will to the desired level (at high level i use the wish spell that grants 25 int to all the party) and as the pnp feature that forbid to cast high level spells with low int is not implemented in the computer game to cheat on the npcs int is surely not game breaking.

unless you are fighting against mind flyers, and there it can make all the difference in the world... :)

i use a different route, i save, drink potions with every arcane caster and note in a piece of paper all the spells they can learn, checking the scroll bags and the merchants inventories.
    then i reload and buy/learn the needed spells.
    i also learn the spells in bunches as the potions are many, but not infinite, and useful also in other situations (minsc and flyers...), if you delay a little to learn a not key spell it is not the end of the world, my gameplay is not affected.

a better UI would be welcome, but it is not so time consuming and does not nead a cheat that can change the balance, even if only against a single type of enemies.

i hope it helps.

In BG2 at least, every temple sells like 13 of the Mind-Enhancers and the same amount of the one that raises int and dex. Technically not infinite, but pretty darn close...
    Yep, not enough to buff every caster, if you have many of them, for every scroll you loot or want to learn, if you play with the chance to fail to learn, but more then enough to dont worry much about running out of potions.
    on a side note one of the reasons i love to have a sorcerer in the party and level him up fast is that i can then have, often in chap 2 soa, all the stats at 25 at will.
    very useful to learn spells without limits or chance to fail for the other casters as well for other purposes, like 25 char to deal with merchants and in the few other issues where it matters, to equip stats restricted items, to travel from area to area bringing with the party heavy loot and regenerating health. usually as i do it i get also a free rest.

surely is not the most powerful thing a sorcerer can pull out his wizard's hat, but as it is free added utility why not? :)
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    on a side note one of the reasons i love to have a sorcerer in the party and level him up fast is that i can then have, often in chap 2 soa, all the stats at 25 at will.
    very useful to learn spells without limits or chance to fail for the other casters as well for other purposes, like 25 char to deal with merchants and in the few other issues where it matters, to equip stats restricted items, to travel from area to area bringing with the party heavy loot and regenerating health. usually as i do it i get also a free rest.

surely is not the most powerful thing a sorcerer can pull out his wizard's hat, but as it is free added utility why not? :)

So you make one of your precious sorcerer known spells to be limited wish ?
    I mean it's a good idea, but I'd rather have offensive spells on my sorcerer.
    I... I just couldn't "waste" a slot like that. I suppose when one of my 2 triple class wizards get their first level 7 spell, then that will become a non-issue :)

[EDIT]
    Of course, Beamdog imprting the code from BG1 and putting it in BG2 so the portrait highlights to yellow on an unlearned spell EVEN IF we're maxxed-out on number of spell known woud be far better !
    @Francois42424 the true wish, not the limited one.
    There is a chance to have all the party with all stats at 25 for 4 rounds, not so easy to get while in battle, but you can easily pull it, and the one for a free rest also, in peace time, to buy and learn spells while the spellbooks and items are recharged.
    Spamming PI make it easy, and PI let use a single potion that rise wis last forever.
    If limited wish is needed the sorc can use PI and a scroll, technically he can even avoid to learn the lev 9 wish, living on PI and the 3 scrolls that he can get in the game, but to cast wish in chap 2 or the underdark is too tempting for a respectable solo sorcerer, is my defoult second lev 9 spell to learn, right after IA.
    And not with liches, but i find more rewarding the low level damaging spells as are cast at 0 speed, and you can unload 3 or 4 full levels before an other sorc casts a single ADHW, no comparison. If a high level spell he does not know is neaded again PI and scroll, noreason to learn imprisonment or wail of the banshee, CC is a way better choice as clones can not use it.