Skip to content

Is Athkatla from Baldur’s Gate 2 a walled city?

iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
In my mind Athkatla from Baldurs Gate 2 is a walled city. It exists in a war-torn region, in a medieval high-fantasy setting, with a huge concentration of wealth and power. Ergo walled city

But now that I come to think about I can’t actually think of any PROOF that it’s a walled city. None of the maps have walls that I can remember, the overhead map seems wall-free, and none of the dialogue that I can rennet mentions walls specifically.

But how can this be? Surely raiders would rob the place blind and burn it to the ground in a week?

Maybe the walls are magical, created by the red wizards? Maybe they are metaphorical, the city is protected by the influence of the council?

Does anyone have any thoughts or evidence one way or the other. Walls? No Walls?
Post edited by iosfrustration on
gorgonzola

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited October 2019
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Outer_City

Apparently yes but some parts of the city were outside the walls

Edit: Oops wrong city, need coffee, good job I am not doing any important work today ? although I think this was initially about Baldur’s Gate
    Post edited by ilduderino on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited October 2019
    Yes, there are walls. All sides are covered by walls which appear in the maps, with the exception of the docks which meet the river directly in the south. Then there's a secondary wall which separates the lower districts near the river from the upper districts, cutting through several of the maps (northeast, center, west).
    The place you first enter the city is a gate set into the wall.

[Edit note - this was about the city of Baldur's Gate, not the revised question about Athkatla]
    Post edited by jmerry on
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I suppose that this topic belongs to the BG section, not the BG2 one.
    Can please the OP or a mod move it there?
    Daeveloniosfrustration
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    I suppose that this topic belongs to the BG section, not the BG2 one.
    Can please the OP or a mod move it there?
    A valid point. I’ll revise the question to “Athkatla” to remain in character for the BG2 forum
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited October 2019
    On the world map it seems that some parts like at south there are no walls, and looking at the individual maps we see some walls and gates, in the bridge and slums only at the north side.
    Maybe only parts of the town are fortified, the part beyond the river probably fully surrounded by walls. At the SE exit of one of the 2 areas the road is actually on a wall, and there are defensive turrets. Also the bridge wall is at that side.

By the way I am not convinced that the artists that created the areas had a clear and agreed opinion on the matter.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    DJKajuruiosfrustration
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2019
    I recommend Volo's Guide to Baldurs Gate II, it gives a lot of details and flavor about Athkatla. You can find a pdf online.
    Post edited by lunar on
    gorgonzolaiosfrustration
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    I lay awake last night fretting over this. What if a horde of orks sweeps through the city, robbing and pillaging at will, and all because we never checked that the walls were joined up?
    After extensively studying spy-satellite imagery from the gnomish artificers guild I have discovered the following. Many Bothans died to bring us this information.
    City Gates = extensive walls
    Bridge district = hilariously enormous walls
    Docks = Walls to the north and east to keep hostile landing parties out of the city
    Temple district = great walls, lots of moats too
    Government district = Seems to be built on top of the walls
    promenade = walls to the north, probably surrounded by other walled sections.
    Slums = walls to the north, probably built outside the old city limits
    Graveyard district = walls to the north, probably built outside the walls because the whole place is crawling with undead
    So with some exceptions (walls on top of the bridge?!?) the city seems sensibly protected from ravening hordes.
    All of the really serious threats are inside the walls already: beholders, illithids, mad mages, overpowered litches, vampires, bhalspawn, and etc.
    Maybe the walls aren’t to keep monsters out? Maybe they are there to keep them in?
    Balrog99gorgonzolaDordledumDJKajuru
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The overworld map clearly shows a wall going around every part of the city that doesn't border the water. Why is this even a question?
    Dordledum