Skip to content

No CD key?

I did'nt know Gamespy was restored with NWN EE until I emailed GOG and they gave me some links to go to to find A forum or place to get information on the game. Why they did'nt just help me from there I'm not sure but my issue is to play multiplayer I need a CD key. I looked in drive C of my Dell and I could'nt find anything. Could anyone point me in the right directcion of where to find it? I'm asking here because I'd like to give it a go tomorrow before they answer another email I'm going to send to GOG after I'm done here. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Documents/Neverwinter Nights - for NWN:EE.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    In original NWN, all the files were in the main game folder, NWN:EE is a "good Windows citizen", so it has a folder in Documents for user files, eg. nwn.ini, cdkey, the override folder, etc.

The CD key file should be created when you launch NWN:EE. If the file is not created, please check out your Antivirus and UAC so that they don't restrict creation of files in Documents/Neverwinter Nights - for NWN:EE.

What GOG said to you, "go to my games and click NWN EE and go to more and from there to choose serial set" is most likely a way to see your cdkey.

You can also try creating a notepad file in Documents/Neverwinter Nights yourself and put the following text there (where XXXXX... is your cdkey):

;This is your CD Key for Neverwinter Nights.
    ;DO NOT share this CD Key with ANYONE.
    ;Apart from this installation, Beamdog, BioWare, and Atari will never ask you for this CD Key.
    [NWN1]
    YourKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
  • Silver21leafSilver21leaf Member Posts: 19
    So I unblocked my Firewall for NWN EE and I started NWN EE up again and still cant find any CD keys.
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    edited October 2019
    @Silverleaf I do not know why, but, unlike the automatic key generation in Steam and the Beamdog Client, GOG's NWN:EE's CD keys are sourced the same way GOG's NWN Diamond CD keys were sourced, you need to go to gog.com, look up NWN in your game's library, and view the serial given to you.

This has been a big problem with Diamond Edition for 6-7 years, since without this step that not a lot of people knew about, everyone would have the same CD key (base install). Starting with a CD key in this manner wasn't "better" because you couldn't log into any multiplayer games that also had players using the same default CD key, so it took a lot longer to figure out what was wrong (many people blamed the servers) than in your case. Once they realized they needed a real CD key, of course, most people just took to emailing GOG, and so support ended up giving out the CD keys people had all along ONLY ON GOG.COM.

You cannot find your serials in GOG Galaxy, they do not put them there. I've attached a .gif for your convenience. If you'd like, you can reference the serial web page when NWN:EE asks for your CD key when you press the multiplayer button in game. This way you will not have to make a cd key .ini in notepad.
    b8796425ccca99918571be07b31f2c4b.gif

Hope that helps!
    JuliusBorisovSylvus_MoonbowIsewein
  • Silver21leafSilver21leaf Member Posts: 19
    Thank you very much for your replies. I finally figured out what was wrong earlier tonight. I have MSN as my browser and I also have chrome and I was a little mixed up figuring it out. (you can't run GOG on MSN) When my Father and I went to chrome he went to gog and we figured it out from there. I had to hover over my name and go to games then NWN EE and I found it by duplicating what you showed above. I sent two emails to GOG but got no reply and did'nt get a message recieved email after I RE ed. The second email, aftter I hit reply, I got a strange page (I think I have bugs or viruses). Anyway heh it was strange and I have to run a security scan and ask my father for some help tomorrow. But thank you for your reply and take care! Thanks again...
    SymphonyJuliusBorisovSylvus_Moonbow
  • grim179894grim179894 Member Posts: 1
    Symphony wrote: »
    @Silverleaf I do not know why, but, unlike the automatic key generation in Steam and the Beamdog Client, GOG's NWN:EE's CD keys are sourced the same way GOG's NWN Diamond CD keys were sourced, you need to go to gog.com, look up NWN in your game's library, and view the serial given to you.

This has been a big problem with Diamond Edition for 6-7 years, since without this step that not a lot of people knew about, everyone would have the same CD key (base install). Starting with a CD key in this manner wasn't "better" because you couldn't log into any multiplayer games that also had players using the same default CD key, so it took a lot longer to figure out what was wrong (many people blamed the servers) than in your case. Once they realized they needed a real CD key, of course, most people just took to emailing GOG, and so support ended up giving out the CD keys people had all along ONLY ON GOG.COM.

You cannot find your serials in GOG Galaxy, they do not put them there. I've attached a .gif for your convenience. If you'd like, you can reference the serial web page when NWN:EE asks for your CD key when you press the multiplayer button in game. This way you will not have to make a cd key .ini in notepad.
    b8796425ccca99918571be07b31f2c4b.gif

Hope that helps!

could you explain how nwn sources CD keys?
    thx