Skip to content

Sherlock Holmes and Watson for 5e Dungeons and Dragons

How would you build 5e characters based on Sherlock Holmes and Watson?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Not well versed in 5E. Are you thinking about the Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle versions, or the Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law versions?
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Not well versed in 5E. Are you thinking about the Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle versions, or the Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law versions?

Conan Doyle version.

I think Sherlock would be a Inquisitive Rogue.
    edited October 2019
    I looked up Inquisitive Rogue and I think that's perfect for Holmes. Watson is a lot tougher. Cleric doesn't fit him and neither does Paladin, Ranger or Fighter really. i did a little digging and found this background that I think would be appropriate:

https://dandwiki.com/wiki/Doctor_(5e_Background)

Absolutely no idea what his base class should be. Some kind of monk maybe?

Edit: For some reason that link doesn't work. I typed "5e doctor background" in Google and it was the first hit.
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I looked up Inquisitive Rogue and I think that's perfect for Holmes. Watson is a lot tougher. Cleric doesn't fit him and neither does Paladin, Ranger or Fighter really.

My first thought was actually that he could be some type of fighter/cleric, being a military physician and all.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I hope you don't mind @Balrog99, but I fixed that link for you.

For future reference:
    gcbie2jvev32.png
    JoenSo wrote: »
    I looked up Inquisitive Rogue and I think that's perfect for Holmes. Watson is a lot tougher. Cleric doesn't fit him and neither does Paladin, Ranger or Fighter really.

My first thought was actually that he could be some type of fighter/cleric, being a military physician and all.

He's not religious at all though. That's why I didn't think cleric or paladin wad a good fit.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    JoenSo wrote: »

He's not religious at all though. That's why I didn't think cleric or paladin wad a good fit.

Sherlock is his deity.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited October 2019
    Holmes as Inquisitive for sure. Maybe dipping Diviner for a few extra moments of brilliance, or Artificer for his scientific studies.

Watson: Soldier background and would have to pick up the Healer feat. He’s physically brave enough that I’d probably end up going Fighter, but it’s far from perfect. Bard might be an interesting way to represent him “inspiring” Holmes:
    "It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but that you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it."

Edit: Bard also fits with him as the chronicler/ collector of stories. Yeah, I’m going Bard and only picking spells that can be cast on Holmes.
    PPS: Expertise in Medicine
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    abacus wrote: »
    Holmes as Inquisitive for sure. Maybe dipping Diviner for a few extra moments of brilliance, or Artificer for his scientific studies.

Watson: Soldier background and would have to pick up the Healer feat. He’s physically brave enough that I’d probably end up going Fighter, but it’s far from perfect. Bard might be an interesting way to represent him “inspiring” Holmes:
    "It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but that you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it."

Edit: Bard also fits with him as the chronicler/ collector of stories. Yeah, I’m going Bard and only picking spells that can be cast on Holmes.
    PPS: Expertise in Medicine

Really insightful. Thanks.