Skip to content

Does EE allow paladins to gain bonus spells for high wisdom?

Pretty sure 2nd edition rules allowed it but i dont think the original BG did
Skatan

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    No, they not gain.
    SkatanJuliusBorisov
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    No.

Clerics and druids get bonus spells based on wisdom. Paladins, rangers, and shamans don't.
    SkatanJuliusBorisov
  • Antarean0475Antarean0475 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2019
    jmerry wrote: »
    No.

Clerics and druids get bonus spells based on wisdom. Paladins, rangers, and shamans don't.

I needed to know this. So BG1 paladins can put money into other variables besides wisdom. Like BG1 sorcerers do not need intelligence or charisma. I assume it is the same way with BG2 paladins and sorcerers.
    No.

What about BG1and BG2 mages? I May play one again some day. Do they still need high intelligence?
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Mage intelligence affects the ability to learn spells. Level 9 spells need 18 intelligence. But you can use potions and other means to learn the spells and you won’t unlearn them when your intelligence reverts. Wisdom for any character other than clerics and druids is irrelevant but for a couple of dialogue checks and lore. Sorcerers don’t need good charisma or intelligence other than what they get as any class (lore and reaction checks).
    Antarean0475
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    No.

What about BG1and BG2 mages? I May play one again some day. Do they still need high intelligence?

In core rules they need it for spell learning %, maximum spells per level and ability to cast 9th level spells.
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Mage intelligence affects the ability to learn spells. Level 9 spells need 18 intelligence. But you can use potions and other means to learn the spells and you won’t unlearn them when your intelligence reverts. Wisdom for any character other than clerics and druids is irrelevant but for a couple of dialogue checks and lore. Sorcerers don’t need good charisma or intelligence other than what they get as any class (lore and reaction checks).

Thanks. Does this continue on into BG2? I plan on going there.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    ilduderino wrote: »

Thanks. Does this continue on into BG2? I plan on going there.

Yep. Also, if you don't have high enough intelligence to learn a spell you just need to drink potion of genius.
    Thanks. I am having a lot of fun playing a paladin main character with 3 sorcerers, a cleric and a thief. I think this will work if I play BG1 again and when I play BG2.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    It's a long way down the road, but there is the very powerful lvl9 mage/sorcerer Wish spell that checks your Wisdom to grant you better results.

Mainly, if you have 18 or higher Wisdom, you can get an option to "make it as if the party is rested" which, in some very rare cases, can be life-saving.
    Although you are not guaranteed to get this option (the list of "wishes" the genie offers you is random, but there are not that many of them anyway), it is considered as a very good strategy to use in places where you cannot / don't want to rest, and need your spells back.

Although, I don't think that with your party setup, you will ever run out of spells ^^
    DJKajuru