Skip to content

Fighter>Cleric or Fighter/Cleric

Hi all,

this is my first post, but I am silently reading the Forum for pretty long.

I am horribly ill ... restartitis... so for my finally first complete playthrough of BG1 I though of a unconventional team.

Eldoth
Garrick
Skie
Alora
Edwin

Simply because I want to see the banters of the triangle an Edwin+Alora. Also this way it will be a bit harder (at leadt I suppose it).

Now I have some questions:

1- Do you think Fighter>Cleric or Fighter/Cleric is better? I tend towards the first but am not sure. If I go for the dual at which lvl should I do it and what are the requirements? I would carry on the PC to BG2+ToB.
Also when I invest pips do I have to take care about something? Or better to ask - what happens with the pips after the dual.

2- I do not have any mods running, are the banters still OK or are they significantly less without the NPC mod?

3- I want to rush to Baldursgate to have a complete team, before doing any side quest. Is it doable with this team? I would take Imoen in the beginning to have a thief and will later swap her for Skie/Alora. I suppose I should make a good use of wands. Can you tell me where the most usefull wands are please.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Half-orc fighter/cleric multi is better in BG1 because your level in each class barely trails what a singleclass character would reach. This flips in SoA as berserker immunities and a super-high turn level help you deal with the game's plentiful undead better than a multi could. Then it changes again in ToB, strongly favoring multis due to the combination of super-strong fighter HLAs and a nearly complete lack of undead once you escape the first town.
    TrauerweideSkatanStummvonBordwehr
  • TrauerweideTrauerweide Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the answers, I will go for multi then.

Half-orc would be awesome, but as I am planning to romance Aerie in BG2 it is not an option this time. Had romanced Viccy in my las playthrough already and need a break from the drow mistress.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Not a big deal, just roll until you get a strength of 18/9X or 18/00 and you will be nearly as effective as a half-orc in BG1.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    If you want to romance Aerie, you could go gnome fighter/cleric, she will romance a gnome, and enjoy better saves than an elf or half-elf
    monico
    I cannot decide yet between elf and gnome :smile: .

Due to having too much work + a new born son, I do not have the time to play right now, but therefore I am planning carefully to not get struck by restartitis again.

I will install the NPC Project this time for even more fun! Actually I did install it some months back, but something went wrong and it did not work... seems like I did not install all components. The friendly forumites told me this :smile:
    Haha well Elf is not possible... Fighter/Cleric does not work as an elf... but why actually not. Seems like an OK combination for Elfes.

Anyway it is as it is.
    tbone1
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    I will install the NPC Project this time for even more fun! Actually I did install it some months back, but something went wrong and it did not work... seems like I did not install all components. The friendly forumites told me this :smile:

Also be sure to install NPC v24 if you have the latest updated game BGEE v2.5, or it will get messy with compatibility issues.
    Trauerweide
    Thank you I will do so!
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited October 2019
    About your race : I suggest going gnome or dwarf for the better saving throws: -5 Saving Throws if CON 18 is nothing to laugh at, with some gear and a potion of Invulnerability, your saves will be low enough to shrug at any disabling spell thrown at you.

The difference in strength is mostly irrelevant: taking into account the Strength tome underneath Candlekeep, and the Draw upon Holy Might spell, your choice is:
    - half/orc for 19 --> 20 with tome (-3 thac0 /+8 dmg) --> 22 (-4/+10) with DuHM by the end of BG1
    - gnome or dwarf with 18 --> 19 with tome (-3 thac0/+7 dmg) --> 21 (-4/+9) with DuHM.

So, apart from the very first levels where you don't yet have access to DuHM (lvl2 spell + innate ability), and especially until you grab the STR tome (since you're rushing to BG, it can be fast), the only difference is a measly +1 damage.

In BG1, thac0 is holding you down, not damage, so the difference is really underwhelming. And in late BG2, where +X damage becomes your goal, you'll have 25 STR easily (gear and/or spells).

Plus, shorties are cool.
    TrauerweideStummvonBordwehr
    Well the shorty saving throws are of course worth concidering a Gnome. But I have to admit that I finally started with a Half-Elf... Actually I do not like Half-Elfes but I found a great portrait and a Gnome would not fit to it, as it is more humanlike. But I appreciate your post, the difference between the Half-Orc strength and the Gnome strength in the end does not really matter. Especially due to DUHM as you have mentioned.

Now my True Neutral Charname „Edmond“ is heading to the Gnoll Stronghold. With Eldoth, Alora, Garrick and Edwin :smile: . Time to teach Dynaheir a lesson!

The NPC Project is now installed correctly, so I do not have to rush too much to reach Baldurs Gate... Skie has to wait for her sweetheart Eldoth a bit longer ;)

Btw. Alora is awesome and cute ?!
    monico
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Have fun ! I'm sure the party banter on this one will be quite entertaining !

Tell us about your progress and some funny stories ;)