Skip to content

Is there an equivalent of Godbow in Baldur's gate original edition?

Just asking

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    There's the good old Killsword in BG2.
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("killsw01")
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for vanilla bg1 i would say the composite longbow +1 is probably the most "powerful" bow since it has +3 to damage ( as apposed to the long bow of marksmanship's +2 to damage )

the composite longbow +1 can be found in feldpost's inn in beregost
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I would like to thank both of you

By the way @sarevok57 , what I meant, was the cheat item suggested by Flashburn.

Regards
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited October 2019
    i never understood why the cheat weapon in bg 2 was a bow and not say a sword.

atlest the one in planescape torment is an axe which is the most common weapon in the game.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    megamike15 wrote: »
    Because swords are utterly overrated? :p
    Truthfully though, swords already were covered on that front. Carsomyr being a cheat weapon in its own right.

Planescape: Torment's axe was a breeze of fresh air to me. Though I really wished the less used weapon categories would get more limelight as well. Clubs, anyone?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited October 2019
    Because swords are utterly overrated? :p
    Truthfully though, swords already were covered on that front. Carsomyr being a cheat weapon in its own right.

Planescape: Torment's axe was a breeze of fresh air to me. Though I really wished the less used weapon categories would get more limelight as well. Clubs, anyone?

Godclub just sounds like a high-end, snooty tavern where mere mortals need not apply for entry. Inside they probably smoke expensive cigars, drink fruity alcoholic beverages with umbrellas and brag about the size of their temples and how many followers each of them have.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

atlest the one in planescape torment is an axe which is the most common weapon in the game.

Bows can hit from a distance. Even if you gave a sword all the special characteristics of the godbow, as a melee weapon it would still be inferior, and give the enemy lots of time to kill you as you run towards them.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    There was also , in SoA, Arkanis instakill sword.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2019

People forget the console was intended for internal testing (hence the name it took in bg2 "debug mode"). It's faster to shoot a bow than to run up and hit with a sword.

Planescape Torment didn't have a console. PSTEE probably uses an axe because the nameless one doesn't have any animation for ranged weapons (just Modron uses them).
    Post edited by elminster on
    elminster wrote: »

People forget the console was intended for internal testing (hence the name "debug mode"). It's faster to shoot a bow than to run up and hit with a sword.

Honestly though, why not just use ctrl-y then? It's even quicker!
    Balrog99 wrote: »

People forget the console was intended for internal testing (hence the name "debug mode"). It's faster to shoot a bow than to run up and hit with a sword.

It's way more of a pain than letting the attack script run with a godbow report equipped. Also pressing the same keys over and over again on the keyboard is not good for you.
    Balrog99 wrote: »

It's way more of a pain than letting the attack script run with a godbow report equipped. Also pressing the same keys over and over again on the keyboard is not good for you.

That explains my carpal-tunnel syndrome then. I can't live without ctrl-j and ctrl-t anymore!
    edited October 2019
    Godbow also still let's you see how some things are working in the game. Like if something like stonekin is preventing damage. Ctrl+y skips all that. So you can still also see funkiness happening in the game when using a debug weapon.

Having said that don't get the impression that the games were only tested using them. It's a tool to use. With a game like PST, that has a lot of different variables (where you don't want to just rely on a save game library), it let's you skip irrelevant combats to actually look into the bug you are trying to examine.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Actually, I don't think the Godbow was in the pre-enhanced version of Baldur's Gate 2. I just looked back at the old Baldur's Gate 2 in NearInfinity and I couldn't find GODBOW.ITM in the game's files. It might've been added in the enhanced editions.
    edited October 2019
    OlvynChuru wrote: »

Actually, I don't think the Godbow was in the pre-enhanced version of Baldur's Gate 2. I just looked back at the old Baldur's Gate 2 in NearInfinity and I couldn't find GODBOW.ITM in the game's files. It might've been added in the enhanced editions.

You are correct. Looks like it was added in the EEs with the sword existing in the original bg2 https://mobile.twitter.com/trentoster/status/274764797986369536?lang=en