Skip to content

Solo Sorcerer vs Kangaxx

I am playing as a solo sorcerer, level 27, and cannot even hurt the Kangaxx Demilich. I have seen other posts and nothing helps.

If he casts spell trap I respond with ruby ray. I keep casting pierce magic to bring down other defenses.

My planetar also cannot do anything.

Eventually he casts a comet and I die.

What can I do?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjackMantis37
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Let him put up his defenses, then use protection from undead scroll, go watch TV for half an hour while his protections wear off, come back to game, profit?

I'm talking out my bum, I suppose. Does protection from undead work on a lich?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    In the unmodded game PfU is a good answer for Kangaxx. He's still not that easy for a solo sorcerer to kill due to his immunity to magic, but missile fire works well. Improved haste and MMMs, using potions of mind dexterity and power, will allow any mage-type to slightly outpace his regeneration even at low levels. At level 27 that would be pretty easy, though by then you probably have energy blades to provide an alternative.
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzolamonico
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited April 2019
    He's immune to nearly all spells so this is one of those rare cases where a sorcerer has to use strategy rather than just brute-forcing your way past an encounter. Off the top of my head, MMM and BBD can hit just about everything so they would be solid bets for damaging Kangaxx. There are also a few equippable weapons you could use like the Staff of the Magi or the Staff of Rynn (which is available from almost the very beginning of the game).
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2019
    Wait a moment, have you tried using the absolutely awesome Black Blade of Disaster?

Add Improved Haste, Oils of Speed and Time Stop to the mix, and it should be fine. And optionally, Tenser's Transformation.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    protection from undead + sling of everard.
  • fncruzfncruz Member Posts: 28
    I have tried energy blades which do no damage. I have also tried black blades of disaster which do no damage.

I think he has so many protections up that I never get to removing protection from magic weapons?

Is that possibly the issue?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2019
    fncruz wrote: »
    I have tried energy blades which do no damage. I have also tried black blades of disaster which do no damage.

I think he has so many protections up that I never get to removing protection from magic weapons?

@fncruz How about launching a Spellstrike in that case?

As far as I remember, PFMW is a combat protection (and not a spell protection), so the only other spell it can be removed with us Breach, which sadly doesn't work on Liches and Demiliches. So Spellstrike is your only option to dispel his PFMW reliably. I'm not sure if the Dispel effect from the Staff of the Magi would work, but it's worth a try for that as well.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    fncruz wrote: »

If his buffs have activated then presumably you're not using PfU - at least in the unmodded game that allows you to attack without him buffing. The energy blades will still only do 1 damage each due to his physical resistance, so you would need several lots of those.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    He is vulnerable to high level aoe before Demi-Litch form but that is not even necessary, you can keep casting skeletons and running away. Eventually he runs out of anything that can kill them then you come in and squash him while he targets the skeleton. If he gates in a demon just wait offscreen until it is unsummoned and cast another skeleton.

After the transformation it becomes so much easier, one hundred times so if you kept the wand of monster summoning. Wand, wand, wand again, don’t bother hitting him with the mmm you cast before the first fight until you have 4 summons when you are about to cast, Use ring of energy, attack with mmm, wand, attack with mmm, ring of energy, mmm, wand mmm, ring of the Ram. Boom. Ring of energy does 6 damage twice per round, it will keep the regen down while you are attacking then the final 15 damage from RotR makes him dead... again.

If you are using pro undead in ee you can equip pro undead, potion of speed, the victor, RotR and sling of everard, cast Simulacrum, is okay if you didn’t select it, there is a scroll available. . Simmy, buff, initiate the conversation, kill him once, the victor with both and attack with both, RotR with both, gather your soul searing new ring and go on to the next quest. He only has 50 hit points in his final form and two shots of RotR averages 30.
    Grond0gorgonzola
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I remember in the vanilla game dragon breath spell insta killed the demi lich. In my modded scs games that is not the case, ofcourse. Don't know the base ee behaviour.
    gorgonzola
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    Simulacrum -> 5/6 times :D
    Then let each of your copy do Time stop->Improved Alacrity + Dragon's Breath/Delayed Fireball few times.
    Cast Energy Blades for everyone and pew pew him to death :)
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I'm pretty sure that in EE he's completely immune to all magic. However, Protection from Undead scrolls DO work, so as somebody suggested above, you can use one, equip the Sling of Everard with no bullets (or cast Black Blade of Disaster), and then go make a sandwich. :P (I'm not sure if summoning Mordenkainen's Swords would help speed it up, as they count as +4 weapons which CAN hit him, but I'm unsure if his Imprisonment spells would work on the swords.)
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Kangaxx has 1 HP/3 seconds regeneration from the Ring of Gaxx and 90% physical damage resistance, so an otherwise un-buffed Sorcerer will not necessarily be able to kill him with the Sling of Everard before Protection from Undead wears off. An Oil of Speed, Tenser's Transformation, and/or strength buffs help.
    semiticgoddess
    No, a solo sorcerer can’t do it unbuffed, at least I have never been able to do it, really super easy with pro undead though. Easy peasy:
    Sling of Everard equipped, no bullets/BBoD
    Potion of Speed
    Pro Undead scroll
    Ring of Energy/The Victor
    Ring of the Ram
    Ring of Energy keeps the regen down. You can do this with any character and any +4 weapon.
    Simmy, from helm or spell, makes it even easier.
    I think all casters can beat him without the scroll, non casters are another story except for Berserkers. You can beat him with a solo sorcerer with no equipment and no items but it is ridiculously hard, and takes a lot of time. Time because of his first form but after Spell Immunity-Abjuration, BBoD, Tenser’s Transformation and Haste can beat him. It took me hours to figure out how to beat his first form, then hours at the second form. Not worth it for a character that will never use the ring, even though I like to do 100% completion, so I never attempted it again. I don’t know if I ever tried it with a solo, poverty Cleric/Mage, the Cleric’s buffs should make it easier. I have done it with a Priest of Lathander dualed at level 15 to a Mage solo, poverty. Don’t recommend that. Insane combo with or without equipment, but it is grueling slow with the Cleric levels, then grueling slow until the Mage gets high enough levels when doing a poverty run. Once you get the Cleric levels back it is so much fun, but I nearly pulled all of my hair out in frustration by then. I keep a morning star as my one item as opposed to a staff for the solo sorcerer, though I don’t think it is needed for the Cleric/Mage to beat the Magic Golems. Put the morning star in the off hand BBoD in the main after buffing, Boon of Lathander twice, then Improved Haste. Might not have any equipment, but that character is a walking, talking beat down.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    A CM can take him down way before he get lev 9 scrolls, in chap 2.
    MMM with foghter like thac0 and improved haste rule.
    CMs gww.
    Michelle
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Power Words: Difficulty Change?
  • Paulan969Paulan969 Member Posts: 13
    you need protection from undead scroll and also melf's minute metors spell. should solve the problem
    i almost never use that scroll, it makes the fight very easy.
    a mage has other ways to protect himself, without using items at all, or a berseker can be used.
    nothing wrong in using the scroll, is in the game and not so rare as the other one that does the trick, i am only saying that is not really needed for many parties and some soloers. nice that is there as some solo without green scroll are really difficult if even possible, but imho a solo sorc or every respectable mage should at least know the spell immunity magic.
    on a side note a sorc with 2 lev 7 spells has up to 3 rings of the ram to use.
    monico
  • Paulan969Paulan969 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2019
    From the roleplay part its totally understandable to use such a scroll. if you know the nature of the creature you face its most obvious that you want to be unharmed. Just outsmart the guy! ;)

But if you really NEED to struggle its up to you. Normal lich form can cast all spells on Jelly Mustard if you have polymorph spell. carefull with Efreet tho! :D He likes to summon one. When hes in Demilich form im not sure how to kill it solo with mage wo being noticed, i guess summon creature lvl x will do, but if you want to kill him fast enough, you also must have Improved Haste on you. then your Melf Meteors can do the job...HOPEFULLY!
    gorgonzola
  • NK1990NK1990 Member Posts: 75
    Use time stop spell sequencer 3 lower resistance save it use true sight if he is invisible, if not use khelbens warding whip. When time stop, stops. Use a breach or spell trap, Use the sequencer on him. Remember your spell protections plus immunity from abjuration if you have problems with his breach spells if you hit with the lower resistance spells in the sequencer use horrid whilting on him preferable in combination with a second time stop for as much damage in one hit as possible
    gorgonzola
    Good tactic, but my solo sorcerer beated kangy at much lower levels, the tactics mod one, that is toughter then the vanilla one.
    Spell immunity is fundamental, time stop not so much.
    He can not damage a sorcerer for enough rounds and even bashing with the staff of ryn and 2 apr can overcome his regeneration.
    Imho it is easier solo then with a party, unless your only companion is korgan.
    A simulacrum gives 4 apr and protected by spell immunity tensor transformed and using a green scroll is also well protected.

If TS is available probably IH and MMM are the best way to deal 3 rounds of massive damage, as the attacks ignore to hit roll.
    Even with a full stoneskin active are 17 successful attaks, more then doubled if 2 TS are chained.
    NK1990
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    My strategy is to summon skeletons until he starts Imprisoning them.
    In classic BG2 I'm pretty sure he ran out of Imprisonments but this does not appear to be the case in BG2:EE
    So when he starts imprisoning everything, I simply use a scroll of protection vs Undeads, and wack him until he dies. The hardest part was the Genie he summons that keeps regenerating and hurling fireballs.

Cheesy? yes. But he started it. An unlimited imprisonment ability is something that I or other ppl would never do in a Pen and paper game... Unless it was planned that way (say to use an artifact, like the beholder quest from temple district).

Spell immunity is another good way to go about it, tho as a sorcerer, I tend to focus mainly on offensive spells and not defense (except stoneskin and mirror images, tho there's a ring for MI somewhere, and it rules).
    gorgonzola
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
    Sorcerers can use spell immunity, or used to not sure if it still does, but I never do, it is easier to keep him surrounded with the Wand of Monsters while killing him. More because of the timing, the wand has no casting time. Staff of Cheese’s Spell Trap can keep him off long enough to kill him if I remember right, I just never get it anymore because it is a bit over powered on core rules. With Simulacrum and the two rings it only takes three rounds or less to let him experience true death, without the sling or mmm, his health is that low. It is just a matter of avoiding oblivion until then.

With sorcerers I usually have a skellie or two left from killing his first form, then use the wand to keep him occupied. Druids and clerics can keep spamming low level monsters while hasted slinging in conjunction with the rings, easy peasy. Once you know how to kill his final form his first form is much harder to get past.

Really though, you absolutely know he is dead before gathering his parts, you know he is a bad guy, from a rp perspective there is nothing wrong with using pro undead scrolls. Then it is just a matter of dealing out, what 40 some hp, through his incredibly fast regeneration.
    gorgonzola
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    have a summon with a +4 weapon then give that summon PFU
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    SirBatince wrote: »
    have a summon with a +4 weapon then give that summon PFU
    This ^

Didn't play without SCS for waaay to long, but as far as i remember he only casts imprisonment in his demilich form, which means you can cast SI:Abjuration, move yourself as close to him as you can and tank his imprisonments while your morde swords are tearing him apart. Just make sure you stay in front of your morde swords so his imprisonment gets absorbed by your SI.
  • 4ltair4ltair Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2019
    Just did a quick test with a solo sorcerer, level 10 and it's doable.

You will need:
    • 1 scroll of Protection from the Undead (from a temple)
    • The Victor ring with at least 10 charges (from Ribald)
    • 1 Simulacrum scroll (from Bernard's special stock)

Before clicking on the sarcophagus, cast simulacrum, cast PftU on both from your quick slots and as soon as Kangaxx appears, start using the ring on him (have auto-pause at round end); you will need around 5 double casts on each form; you can use the Sling of Everard to further do some damage in between casts (i didn't use it); i believe you can do it only with the ring (with at least 20 charges) and a PftU scroll but i did not try that.

Post edited by 4ltair on
    gorgonzolaBalrog99
    I fail to understand how a lev 10 solo sorcerer can have access to the special stock, at that point of the game if you don't go to spellhood as soon as you can and skip almost all the battles a solo s. can probably cast simulacrum without scrolls if not lev 9 spells.
    But is possible with some reloads to get the scroll from the fights against CW as loot, refusing to pay for the licence, so a lev 10 sorc can have that scroll without cheating.
    MMM should work better then the sling and also the ring of the ram can be used.
    About the protection scrolls i dont use them, i prefer spell immunity, mirror images and the other arcane defenses, but there is
    nothing wrong in using them.
    Thank you for the feedback.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    @gorgonzola
    Bernards special stash is available
    After you have freed Hendak, and he has taken over the CC.
    After that Bernards stash gets a significant boost (Stonefire axe, the undead killing throwing axe and a simulcarum scroll most notably).
    Bernards doesn’t call it special stash, unlike Ribald. But the boost is non the less significant. I think it was the reference to “special stash”, that mixed things up.
    Balrog99gorgonzolamonico