Skip to content

Dual Class XP

When you dual-class a character, and they're partway to a new level in the old class, does their XP remain or is it reset to the threshold for their current level?

I have Safana in my party and want to dual her to mage at thief 6, which I'm about to hit but am far away from acquiring the Tome of Clear Thought. I'd prefer to keep her in the party, but not if that screws up her ability to eventually hit level 9 mage due to the xp cap (there's just 6k leeway).

Comments

• monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Not sure if I understand your question exactly, but here's how dual classing works:

- when you dual-class (your example: Safana at lvl6), it keeps the minimum XP from your first class (in this case: 20k XP), and any XP above that is lost
    - your new class starts at 0 XP. So if Safana had 30kXP (lvl6) and you dual her, then those 10k extra XP are lost.
    - your XP cap would be: 161k XP - minimum XP from 1st class (and not the XP you had when dualing). In your case, as you stated, you will be able to reach lvl9 mage (135kXP out of the 141k XP available to your new class).

So, in your case and if I understood correctly, you can keep Safana, just don't evolve her past lvl6. But you'll lose any extra XP.
  • BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    Thanks. That is exactly what I was asking. So I can keep her in the party as long as I don't raise her to level 7, and when I multi her any xp above 20k will be deleted.
    Exactly. Which means you want to rush to get that INT-enhancing tome to avoid losing too much XP ;)

Also, once you do dual her, and if there is too much of a gap in XP with your party, I suggest ditching the rest of your party for some time and do all the quests in BG (many of them don't require any fighting, here's a list of some of them, although thieving skills are useful for many of them).

Or you can just go farm some ankhegs/basilisks with her alone.
  • BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    Changing the subject slightly, is it possible to sneak through Ramazith's tower using invisibility/stealth? I might try that with a temporarily shrunken party, once I get there.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BelacRLJ wrote: »
    Changing the subject slightly, is it possible to sneak through Ramazith's tower using invisibility/stealth? I might try that with a temporarily shrunken party, once I get there.

It is possible as long as he is already within it.
    Yup, as stated above, just accept his quest, then happily loot his whole tower xD