Skip to content

Fighter Cleric Dual Class Proficiencies

If I start as a FTR 24 and skill up axes then dual to CLR 25, can I still use axes after regaining FTR abilities?

Thankee!

Comments

• BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    My understanding is that you'd be proficient but unable to equip them due to cleric weapon restrictions. This is different from how being a mage and dualing to thief allows you to use bows/swords, since mages are merely not proficient in those weapons while clerics are forbidden to use bladed weapons.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited October 2019
    No, you remain bound by cleric proficiencies and the points will be wasted
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Clerics and druids are restricted by ethos; their weapon list is all they're allowed to use. If you have proficiencies from another class outside that list (like Anomen's spear specialization), you can't apply them once you're a priest. The proficiencies remain, but the weapons can't be used and no new proficiencies in those weapons can be taken.

Thieves and mages are restricted by skill; their weapon list is all they know how to use. If you have a proficiency from another class, you can use it just fine once you've completed the dual, and even add more proficiencies from the old class as you level up.

There's one exception: the thief's Use Any Item high-level ability overrides class restrictions on item usage. A cleric/thief with Use Any Item can use bladed weapons, but they can't take new proficiencies in them.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Danke!
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Assassin>Cleric, it can be any thief with UAI and the thief must come first. If dualed from a cleric you can't even put pips in the non-cleric proficiencies.

This is solo, working through Watcher`s Keep before going to Suldanessellar.

db0svm43oqoj.png

6l7sqktab64d.png

Buffed stats.

rsa0b7g9u0ny.png

It's a fighter, mage, thief, cleric, and very fun to play. Not for everyone though, the cleric levels are hard until getting to level 15. I save every end quest xp reward until dualing, know the game pretty well and still have to be really cautious or get dead.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    @_Nightfall_ You only regained your thief levels at about 8 mill XP (XP cap). How fastidious was it actually ? I never dualed a fighter at lvl13, seemed to long to me, let alone after 3 mill XP.

Isn't your character only half of himself for the whole game, what is really the point ? Or is there actually enough XP when you carefully plan for this to regain your abilities before ToB (clearing Watcher's Keep seems a good way to get XP, but must be difficult as a low level cleric once dualed) ?
    Dualing like that is tedious and it does depend what what I am dualing from and to. Kensai can be hard to dual from at high levels soloing and pointless with a party, thief>Cleric has decent synergy though solo. Still, it is not a rp build it requires meta gaming but not exploits though.

:) Solo experience is never an issue, she maxed out in Sahuagin City. I am doing Watcher’s Keep now because I can and I want the stats from Lum the Mad’s machine, there are no must have items from there to finish SoA or even Watcher’s Keep itself other than plot items. Scarlet ninja sword in offhand and now with Firetooth in main, I already have the weapons that I will be using mostly for the rest of the game. You really do get to experience the character fully, I will be fighting boredom with the build in ToB. In fact, I haven’t done anything with it other than get those screenshots for the last few weeks, I have just picked up Wilson in another run and am going to see how far I can go with him.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Thks for the feedback ;)

The latest I've done with duals was a custom party, dualing everyone around 1,2 to 1,5 mil XP.
    I don't remember exactly, but I think there was a mage>thief ; cleric>mage ; fighter>cleric and thief>fighter. There might have been a shapeshifter>fighter too.
    It was fun because all basic roles were covered at each time, and it actually felt like playing 3 parties in one run. It allowed the party to keep having interesting progression through ToB which is a major problem for me.
    I remember that the Mage>thief late dual became quite a beast in melee with UAI, improved haste and speed weapons