Skip to content

A Crazy Idea?

I've just bought a Raspberry Pi 3a+ (a roughly credit card sized, single board computer). The OS is Raspbian, which is a fork of Debian Linux and I see that the Linux version of NwN EE will run on Debian. Now my Pi only has half a gig of memory which rules it out of running NwN EE (which needs a min of 1 gig). However the more expensive Raspberry Pi 4 (which comes with 1g, 2g or 4g of RAM depending on model) does have sufficient ram. So I was wondering, has anyone got NwN EE running on one of these?

TR

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Short version is: No, you can't run NWN on RPi.

Longer version is that _you_ can't run NWN on RPi, because it requires a special build of the game. niv got it working (the server part at least) in the past, but it requires an ongoing effort from BD to support this as an actual product.

tl;dr why is that RPi has a different CPU architecture and software needs to be built for it specifically, it cannot run software built for regular desktop CPUs (i.e. intel/amd). Your best bet would be to install Android on it and run that version, but that has its own host of problems and I'd be amazed if it worked at all.

If you want to learn more, you can start reading here and make your way into the rabbit hole.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I already knew that it is not possible on my pi due to insufficient memory. I am also aware that I have an ARM chip and not x86/x64. Just wondered if any of the really talented people on here had given it a try.

I actually bought my pi for a different purpose and came across (possibly) 2 versions of minecraft for it. Still until my psu arrives (next month - it said nothing about it coming from China on the order page!) I am not doing anything other than research.

TR