Skip to content

EEex: What is it and why is it important?

EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
Greetings, all!

My family and I have been eagerly anticipating IWD-in-EET but that requires "EEex." What is EEex, what's progress on it, and why is it vital to finishing IWD-in-EET?

Would EEex also allow Planescape: Torment in EET?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2019
    In short, EEex is a bit like what ToBEx is to the original games, an extender that allows temporary modifications of the game's executable, allowing changes to hardcoded mechanics. Since its inception, several actions that were previously beyond the reach of modders have been made possible (and others made simpler and more precise), which - as far as I know - plays into its importance in getting primarily IWD 2 to work well with EET. You can read a lot more about it here.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Out of curiosity, because I didn't find an answer anywhere. What is the reason EEX was not (or cannot be) ported to other OS (like Mac, Linux, IOS)? Is it because it's heavily dependand on lua language and lua is not working on those OS, or is it just because @Bubb doesn't know them and has no knowledge necessary to extend compatibility? If the latter is the case maybe someone could help with that? If it's because of lua then yeah, it will probably stay Windows-only.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Bubb wrote: »
    EEex currently modifies the game executable via pattern matching + writing x86 assembly. Mac and Linux versions of the Infinity Engine titles are 64bit, making the current EEex codebase incompatible.

Off-topic, but are the Windows engines not 64-bit??

Correct, they are 32-bit.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited November 2019
    but k4thos has not told us whether those if us who can’t use EEex will be able to use the IWD1 portion of IWD-in-EET, or whether he is just going to mandate EEex for the whole thing.)

He's known as @swit here, ain't he?
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    Off-topic, but are the Windows engines not 64-bit??

As mentioned by @ALIEN, the windows builds are currently 32bit, but I had raised the question of them moving to 64bit windows build (when/if patch 2.6 arrives) in the Ask Beamdog thread, but haven't seen a response yet.

If they do release a 64bit windows build, it would require a 64bit loader, with the 64bit EEex.dll, which I have provisionally created the loader part for (EEex.exe (x64)). The 64bit EEex.dll requires some work to port over if that situation ever arises - the basic skeleton of the EEex.dll x64 has been started, but no major porting of code has occurred - as awaiting additional information or patch release.

• switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited November 2019
    but k4thos has not told us whether those if us who can’t use EEex will be able to use the IWD1 portion of IWD-in-EET, or whether he is just going to mandate EEex for the whole thing.)
    the mod uses EEex and has only 1 component.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Endarire wrote: »
    Greetings, all!

Would EEex also allow Planescape: Torment in EET?

I have investigated the ability of porting PST into EET previously. My conclusion was that there were no super glaring issues porting PST into BG2EE engine, at least in terms of engine functionality. The biggest issue that I encountered is that the scale of maps in PST is 25% larger (e.g. characters and maps in PST are 25% bigger than they would be in BG2 by default), and rescaling cannot be entirely automated, which means someone would need to go through and handle the light/height/path maps for all the areas.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Just a few cents from me, iwd in eet is a huge effort and really swit has put a lot of work into this and deserves nothing but praise. A huge part of the mod is to 'automatically' convert iwd2 scripts to be used on EE engine. Beamdog said it's impossible (meaning that without the source code it's very time consuming and not profitable) and certain scripts have triggers and actions that don't exist in EE. EEex allows those codes to be made on EE. Nothing is impossible, I've previously put Targos into iwd1 through entirely manual methods. If an enemy boss is scripted with markers and targets, then clearly his actions could be coded in another way to achieve an equally enjoyable battle.

Once iwd in eet is released, modders can change anything they wish, and in time manual work arounds can be made for compatibility. Quote me on this 5 years after iwd in eet launches.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @swit Thankee again for doing the wonderful work you've been doing! Alleluia!

Likewise, to all modders out there, on behalf of my gaming family, I salute you! <salute>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited November 2019
    fluke13 wrote: »
    JRequiring the IWD1 campaigns to be bundled with the IWD2 campaign is by no means a technical necessity. It's just a decision that was made.

To be truth, choosing an IOS as a main OS is also a decision that was made. Each decision has consequence. It was clear from the beginning that modding on IOS would not be as easy as modding on Windows (or even Mac or Linux). But to be honest, I'm also not convinced about forcing players to use EEX to be able to play IWD1 part. But that's @swit decision, and we should respect it.

Saying that he did it because he doesn't like specific OS (or company that is behind it) or just doesn't want his mod to be played by non-Windows users is just silly.

Post edited by Cahir on
    edited November 2019
    Cahir wrote: »
    To be truth, choosing an IOS as a main OS is also a decision that was made. Each decision has consequence. It was clear from the beginning that modding on IOS would not be as easy as modding on Windows (or even Mac or Linux).

Wut

Me: owns a Mac
    Beamdog, several years later: releases BGEE, with excellent cross-platform support
    k4thos, several years later: making IWD-in-EET, restricted to a single platform
    You: “you made a choice! you should have known!”

I'm pretty sure you wrote some time ago that the only way for you to play IE games these days is to play on your IPad, so I assumed you use IOS. If I misremembered something and that's not the case, then I apologize. If you use Mac, as I understood from previous posts, it's not impossible that EEX will be compatible with Mac someday.

I stand by the rest of my post, though. Accusing @swit of ill intensions towards no-Windows users seems silly. I'm pretty sure that @swit will not block access to IWD-in-EET to non-Windows users after EEX gets Mac compatibility. Because only that would be ill-intended action.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    No one is accusing anyone, it's a good healthy discussion. People expected this mod to be released earlier in a different form, but several things disrupted the schedule, mainly the release of SoD (which references IWD1 in a way that causes story incompatibility), the wondrous emergence of EEx, and news that there will be no IWD2EE. Actually i don't know if this last thing influenced the author, but seems reasonable. These things caused the project to transform pretty radically (with different portions of IWD games' content being included under a different scheme), and become a lot more advanced in technical terms. So peoples' expectations haven't really synchronized with what's been going on, but in fact pretty positive things have been going on.
    Some tension arising from the changes in the project's direction is completely understandable.
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Hopefully, EEex will be up and running on Mac before IwD2-in-EET is ready for release. If you want to help with EEex development on Mac, you are very welcome to do so, as is anyone that would like to see it working much sooner.