Skip to content

Easter Eggs / Weird Stuff / Hidden Goodies

Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58
I was looking at a few other threads which were referencing some hidden stuff that I was never aware of. A good example is the animal noises thread... I had no idea about clicking cows and bears and chickens!

It gave me the idea to set up a thread where you guys can post any weird and wonderful (or mundane... mundane is good, too) secrets in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2?

A few examples to get the memory ball rolling:
1. Diamond in Lion's Way in the tree
2. Ring of protection in the crossroads S of Friendly Arm Inn
3. Ankheg Armour in Nashkel
4. Noober... in general. (What? I killed him the first 20 or-so times!)
5. Semaj (at the end-game) was a reference to James backwards (can't remember surname) who was dungeon designer
6. Tazok appearing in BG2... or: "I knew I owed somebody a punch from the previous game"-guy
7. Gromnir from TOB was apparently based on a forum goer who would debate with everybody, including the dev's. Ending his arguments with "Ha! Good fun!"
8. Ajantis reappearing (read: dying by my hand muahaha) in BG2 and Keldorn being in his biography in BG1
9. The genie bottle you could pickpocket from the guard of the genie camp in trademeet
10. Imoen was apparently also mashed together from old script and voicework in BG1. Not originally an intended character (rumour? truth?)
11. Charming the spider-cloakwood-thing and getting the name "Jon Icarus" as in "Jonaleth Irenicus"
12. Prism was inspired by the Elf Queen (Ellisime?) from BG2
13. The original DnD Cartoons (I think it's them?) in the Adventurer's Mart in BG2
14. There is a mage in Baldur's Gate city who is referenced in the R.A. Salvatore books. I forget his name.
15. The whole "golden pantaloons" thing.
16. Casting heal on Yakman (also another forum member's name originally, I believe) in TOB gives unique dialogue.

Aaaaaand my brain hurts.

Comments

• VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    Don't forget the secret Rogue Stone Doorway to Beholders in BG2. And the ring of Fire Resistance in the cliff face in BG1.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2012
    Ring of Wizardry on FAI map.
    There was also a Wand of Frost and a Cloudkill spell-scroll south of Nashkel iirc.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I believe that NPC is in fact the Lord Foreshadow mentioned by HaHaCharade.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    There's a frost wand in the top left corner of nashkel mines map.
  • Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58

Charming certain people to get cool background info - For example f you charm the Flaming Fist mercenary that's trying to kill Viconia he tells you he's been hunting a drow that killed a farmer and his family.

Charming Nimbul the Assassin and having him being all torn up about how he has to kill you (BUT I LOVE YOU) funny stuff.

Seriously?! How did I miss this?! Is there anybody else you can charm? Any other assassins? My God, can't believe I didn't try this very often.

I also thought of Algernon's Cloak, even though it is somewhat well known.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I make a habit of charming everybody at least once, especially in combat.

I think next I might try charming the little boy who's sad about his family being murdered by bandits, see if I can get him to follow me to Beregost...
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    edited October 2012
    Dantos4 said:

I also thought of Algernon's Cloak, even though it is somewhat well known.

I really wouldn't consider Algernon's Cloak an easter egg though, since it actually has a subplot attatched to it.

Speaking of "hidden goodies" though...
    For the life of me I can't remember who or what map location they are exactly at the moment, but an NPC will approch you somewhere in the upper portian of the world map (before you you enter BG) and ask you something.
    I can't remember if when you pickpocket him he has anything of value, but If you cheese kill him as he's walking off the map, he has a +2 sword on him which you can use.
  • Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2012
    @TheCoffeeGod Yeah, true I suppose. It's just a nice feature that you can get it way, way before the actual quest to get Algernon's Cloak.

Reminds me: You can pickpocket the Sword vs. Shapeshifters from the guy in Cloakwood forest once, and twice more when you meet him in BG (if you don't kill him)

And you can also get the ring of animal control from the druids there too, pickpocketing again
  • COrmithCOrmith Member Posts: 15
    Believe it was BG1 - Drizzt, Wulfgar, and...dang it cant remember the dwarfs name appear. If you whack them you get their gear. Not a real easter egg but that one always stood out in my head. Also, did anyone ever both trying to Charm Elminster as he appears right before you get to the Friendly Arms Inn map?
  • ZundarZundar Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2012
    COrmith said:

Believe it was BG1 - Drizzt, Wulfgar, and...dang it cant remember the dwarfs name appear. If you whack them you get their gear. Not a real easter egg but that one always stood out in my head. Also, did anyone ever both trying to Charm Elminster as he appears right before you get to the Friendly Arms Inn map?

The Dwarf's name is Bruenor
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Another Easter Egg is meeting Larry, Darryl and Darryl and getting their autograph.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    AHF said:

Another Easter Egg is meeting Larry, Darryl and Darryl and getting their autograph.

Their names come from three characters in an 80s show called "Newhart."

AHF said:

Yep. Good show if you haven't seen it and it has one of the best series finales in TV history.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    AHF said:

AHF said:

Yep. Good show if you haven't seen it and it has one of the best series finales in TV history.

Really? I didn't like the finale.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @AHF & @CaptRory....i thought the ending was one of the best last episodes i have seen...i was a big fan of the first Bob Newhart show
    great live performer, as well
    http://youtu.be/din5JORDXzk
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I didn't like the "It was all just a dream" aspect. It invalidated all the emotional attachment of the entire series.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    CaptRory said:

I didn't like the "It was all just a dream" aspect. It invalidated all the emotional attachment of the entire series.

St. Elsewhere takes the cake for how a series ends.

edited October 2012
    CaptRory said:

It was a comedy and incorporating another comedy (the wife is his wife from a prior show) so seamlessly made it work on multiple levels given the other shows that were unsuccessfully trying to pull this off. Fantastic stuff. Any analysis that ends up with it invalidating the emotional impact of the entire series is taking both shows more seriously than they took thenmselves.

If Mash did that, I would agree 100% and twice on Sundays. With Newhart doing this like this, I laughed my rear off.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012
    the dream reference was also amusing in that the 1st Bob Newhart was a Psychoanalyst

edit: psychologist, not psychoanalyst
    Post edited by rexreg on
  • COrmithCOrmith Member Posts: 15
    Zundar said:

COrmith said:

The Dwarf's name is Bruenor

Thanks Zundar! I spent about an hour after posting it running around the house trying to find my Legend series and get the name ;)

• NimNim Member Posts: 6
    Daer' Ragh !
    In Nashkel Clicking on the gravestones tells you whats written on them and reading one of the stones makes a caster called Daer' Ragh appear! And he tells you not to do that again! if you do it again he reappears with a bunch of Phoenix Guards! O_O usually meaning instant death for entire party XD
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Koson said:

Ring of Wizardry on FAI map.

You know what cracks me up, is that more people know about the hidden one than the legitimate one you can find on a mage you kill in Baldur's Gate.

Someone was like "no! don't remove hidden items there will be no ring of wizardry in the game anymore!" and I facepalmed hard.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've played Baldur's Gate since it was released, and I have never, ever, even bothered to look for that fabled "Ring of Wizardry" that everybody talks about outside the FAI. It took me until about two years ago before I pulled up an online map of Nashkel and learned how to pixel-hunt for the Ankeg Armor.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Nim said:

Daer' Ragh !
    In Nashkel Clicking on the gravestones tells you whats written on them and reading one of the stones makes a caster called Daer' Ragh appear! And he tells you not to do that again! if you do it again he reappears with a bunch of Phoenix Guards! O_O usually meaning instant death for entire party XD

You can defeat them but it's not worth it, they don't drop any loot.

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Nim said:

Daer' Ragh !

I hadn't actually fought them until today. That's a good tip. Two waves of them almost killed Sendai in Tutu.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2012
    elvis painting in five flagons inn. cowkill spell, MDK2 spell (never worked), and "brave brave sir garrick" of course
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    There are several threads similar to this one, perhaps someone could merge them?

Charming Dynaheir reveals why she's so far south - researching the Bhaalspawn prophecy. Totes makes her and Minsc genuinely canon.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

One from IWD I like that ties into BG is the fact that Erevain Blacksheaf and Xan are cousins (you find out when you discover Erevain's journal after he is slain).

Haha I always liked that one. I once decided to test just how far it went, and made an entire party of BG1 NPC's. I gave them all the exact same stats and classes as they had in BG1, as close as I could get. Xan was included in the group (though unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to mod in his moonblade, so I just gave him an enchanted dagger). I was wondering if Erevain would at least comment on the name. Unfortunately nothing happened. He didn't recognize him. I was so disappointed.

...I guess I shouldn't have expected anything, but I was a silly teenager at the time, and it made sense back then.