Skip to content

umberlee temple

cbeid7884cbeid7884 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2013 in Not An Issue
I remember an exploit I could use where after you complete the quest to cure the geas that had been cast on you, it was possible to kill the high priestess of umberlee and the rest of the priestesses after they attack you for starting a fight, regain the tome of wisdom from the high priestess and not lose any reputation points or have guards try to do anything. I assume it is a glitch, even though it is kind of funny to put those annoying priestesses in their place. It only seems reasonable that someone would be angry that you just wiped out everyone in the temple. Don't ask me how I came up with the idea of doing that because it was a while ago that i first did that.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Umberlee is an Evil goddes, so I think that is the reason the guards don't show.

And I kill the high priestess on any run through the game, just for the tome
    Yaerius
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    You realize you can tell her you don't trust her, and she'll give you the cure without handing the tome over, then you can say "never mind" basically, and not give it to her.
    Yaerius
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, you can get the tome just by pickpocketing the priest of Tymora, never hand it over to the Umberlee priestesses, and kill them all anyway. If you didn't kill Tenya earlier, you can ask for her and kill her as well. All without losing reputation (they're an evil cult anyway). Dudley's walkthrough below.

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar1200.htm#varci
  • cbeid7884cbeid7884 Member Posts: 1
    My concern was less with the tome. Honestly unless she was supposed to read it right away it should still be with her. I was more talking about killing citizens of a city and nobody cares. It only seems logical that if a temple is in the city and they aren't constantly in war with the guards, they are basically law abiding citizens. If they worship an evil god it is their business unless they break the law, even if nobody likes them because they worship an evil god. Plus the temple of talos in athkantla probably never got ransacked by the guards either.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yeah I remember things like this happening in BGI+II. Situations where you would have the opportunity to kill some people "legitimately" (ie as part of a quest) and therefore would expect no repercussions for doing so, but if you kill them at a different time, where it basically amounted to murder, you would still get off scot-free.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    No religious killing will provide rep loss from what i remember, i never attacked people in the temple of Tymora, neither in Helm's temple in Naskhel or any other temple, but i remember an old playthrough where i slaughtered all the temples and the radiant heart order in BG II, and i didn't get a single rep loss.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2012
    Well I just did some testing by murdering people in the temples of Helm, Lathander, and Talos as well as the Order of the Radiant Heart and no reputation loss. Is there any potential quest related reasons for doing these things? I think I remember wiping out the Talos guys as part of a quest working for one of the temples, so if you're an evil cleric working for the temple of Talos you might get a quest to take out the Helm or Lathander guys. Can't think of any quest to kill the paladins over at the Radiant Heart though...
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    TJ_Hooker said:

... Can't think of any quest to kill the paladins over at the Radian Heart though...

That we do just for fun!
    TJ_Hooker
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Umberlee is an Evil goddes, so I think that is the reason the guards don't show.

This.

It seems intentional to me, but I could be wrong, it's possible it's a bug.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    I think the guards don't interfere, because if you're wiping out a temple of worshippers, it's the will of some god or another. This is a very religious society (as they have tangible evidence of gods) and they know some gods use people as pawns. IDK, best I can come up with.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't see it as a bug but it could be a nice addition but then you would probably need to check other temples to see how it works there but thinking about it there isn't any in BG1.

As for the tome, I think she should use it the instant you give it to her, otherwise you will just kill her to get it back.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    This is not a bug, as the fact they are evil should make sense.

I guess there is much more silly bugs to be squashed before trying to redesign the entire game.

- No response from characters when ordered to move
    - bugs in AI scripts
    - no mage kits available for dual classing (it was doable in the vanilla BG).
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    Balquo said:

Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't see it as a bug but it could be a nice addition but then you would probably need to check other temples to see how it works there but thinking about it there isn't any in BG1.

As for the tome, I think she should use it the instant you give it to her, otherwise you will just kill her to get it back.

Pretty sure in PnP, it takes like an entire day to use a tome like this.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.