Skip to content

Mod: Revised Strength Bonus

PaiN_VIPaiN_VI Member Posts: 28
Hello everyone

I recently did a little modification in the game that characters who once sinned in strength now have some bonuses due to their relatively high strength. Before, you only got a damage bonus with extremely high strength, even strength 17 What I did was distribute the warriors' exceptional strength bonuses to other strength points. Now if you have at least 15 strength you get a +1 damage bonus, 16 +2, 17 +3 and 18 +4. The variations in the exceptional force are a maximum of +2 (summing with the 18 +4 force totaling the +6 with 18/100 force). I set the distribution within 100 of force 18, so you only start getting some bonus from force 18/51, a bonus of +1 to hit. 18/76 - 18/90 +1 to hit and +1 to damage; strength 18/91 - 18/99 +2 to hit and +1 to damage and finally 18/100 2 to hit and 2 to damage.

To hit mod:
15 and 16: +1 to hit
17 and 18: +2 to hit
18/91 - 18/100: +4 to hit

For exemple: Minsc have +4 to hit and +5 to damage. Sarevok +4 and +6

How install: just extract and pass to the override folder

This may help with NPC with a 15+ strenght

*With 18/01 - 18/50 you only get a bonus for force bars and weight
Post edited by PaiN_VI on
DJKajuruilduderino

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    But will this mod make my character more attractive to the ladies?
    monico
  • PaiN_VIPaiN_VI Member Posts: 28
    Hahaha
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    This is a cool idea.

It is odd that you have to be so strong to actually be better than average and the same counts for the other stats.

I remember playing multiplayer with a friend years ago whose fighter stats ranged from 10 - 15, I explained to him that his 15 strength was pretty much irrelevant apart from letting him carry more stuff and he gained no ac or ranged combat bonus from a 14 dex. He should basically reroll an Olympic gymnast and bodybuilder, with 18s in strength, dexterity and constitution, and whose chance of really having those stats as honestly rolled was more than 10m to 1.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2019
    Once I did something similar with all physical attributes , converting them to to their 3e equivalents 06-07 (-2) 08-09 (-1) 10-11 (0) 12-13 (+1) 14-15 (+2) 16-17 (+3) 18-19 (+4) . That made all bg characters more useful in combat , and the penalties for low stat kind of balanced it as well.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @ilduderino I suppose the reason for the way the bonuses are handled is precisely because you are supposed to roll dice for your stats.
    In all likelihood, you will not get any bonuses for your attributes, unless you use magic to enhance them. Most 2nd edition magic is not of the +X kind, but rather sets your attribute to a certain value.

Rolling for attributes over such a long range is a funny business in general. If you grow up in a physical (medieval) world, then you will likely have plenty of exercise and so you will fulfill certain standards. Yes, there may be a few exceptions who for some reason will never be able to meet the standards, but they should be considered cripples, not candidates for lives of adventure and long-distance pedestrian travel. In medieval England, the vast majority of males were able to use military grade longbows.
    Being weak should be considered a privilege of the elite. showcasing that the character in question can afford to employ magic or money to solve their problems.

But well, that is how the system works, and I am afraid that changing the tables to 3e as suggested by @DJKajuru will only make you more hungry (rather than less) for higher rolls, because the 3e tables put more emphasis on the small differences.
    @Humanoid_Taifun I tried to balance the giant difference between one small point and another. It doesn't make much sense to gain +4 points of damage on a variation of an attribute. I tried to keep the variation between force 18 and 19, but i made it fairer, in a way. I used as basis for this the constitution and dexterity tables, where there is a point to point progression.
    @Humanoid_Taifun I tried to balance the giant difference between one small point and another. It doesn't make much sense to gain +4 points of damage on a variation of an attribute. I tried to keep the variation between force 18 and 19, but i made it fairer, in a way. I used as basis for this the constitution and dexterity tables, where there is a point to point progression.
    edited November 2019
    @DJKajuru I thought about doing that too, but I decided to use the constitution and dexterity tables as a molde because them start in 15.