Skip to content

Favorite NPC outside of the Companions.

13»

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Exactly, the inconsistency between the story in the scroll and the one revealed to you in ToB is what I was referring to. You can interpret it as a benevolent lie, as part of an attempt to utilise charname as a tool of the Harpers or as Gorions own agenda aside from his Harper friends, among others. I like that it is open to interpretation.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I believe Gorion was your typical, average Harper who took frequent liberties with the truth. It's not so much that he, as a person, was inconsistent as it was his story that was inconsistent. However, I believe that he was bending the truth out of compassion.

If there is one thing you should have learned by the end of BG2 about Harpers, it's take everything they say with a small bucket of salt.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2019
    The fact that he lived and died without explaining the whole Bhaalspawn situation should've told you he was a secretive type anyway.

Like, yes, it creates a great story/adventure when you're tossed into this situation blind. There's a powerful man who wants you dead and you don't know why, so you have to unravel this mystery that encompasses The Entire Forgotten Realms.

But there never really was any good in character reason for him to put you in that situation, beyond he's fundamentally prone to withholding information.

That he was a Harper, which we later learn to be an organization that deals in secrets and half-truths, is only in keeping with what we already knew about him.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I feel like Gorion believed his letter, being in denial over what exactly happened. Not to mention the whole, "were they, weren't they" romance thing with charname's mom. There's also the chance that the shade in ToB was either lying outright, or also just saw things differently enough that both person's biases cannot line up. With the actual truth being somewhere in-between.