Skip to content

Charges "per day" items...how do they work?

Is it actually once per day as it says? Recharges once every 24 in-game hours, or at midnight? Does it recharge regardless of whether the party rests or not, if enough time passes? That's the way it works in tabletop I believe, and in many ways these games did their best to adhere to tabletop rules.

Or is it identical to spellcaster spells, as if the item has spells "memorized," and needs an 8 hour rest to regain them? Which doesn't really make sense calling it "per day" if you can recharge it three times per day...

Do all such items behave the same way? I know there are a lot in Siege of Dragonspear, but there were some in the older games too, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some behavioral differences between games.

Just wondered if anyone knew for sure.

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Anything that says "Per Day" in this game is really "Per Rest".

There is an unspoken assumption in this game that you're maintaining a standard "Do stuff for 16 hours, rest for 8" sleep cycle, even though nothing in the game makes that an easy or intuitive way to play. Since you'd have to keep track of the time manually, and many of your characters can adventure for excessive periods of time without getting fatigued.

To make matters worse, fatigue gets reset every time you load a save, so if you're making copious use of the quicksave feature, as the game recommends, then you can effective adventure forever and your characters will never get tired.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    Thank you, just wanted to be sure of how all this worked.
  • BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Anything that says "Per Day" in this game is really "Per Rest".

There is an unspoken assumption in this game that you're maintaining a standard "Do stuff for 16 hours, rest for 8" sleep cycle, even though nothing in the game makes that an easy or intuitive way to play.

Especially since some adjacent areas take 16+ hours to travel between. Which really breaks immersion when you, say, travel from Dryad Peaks to the Gnoll Stronghold, save, then return later and find that your party is none the worse for wear from a 24-hour hike.