Skip to content

Xbox version impressions

So let me start with I applaud BD for everything they have done to revitalize BG series and NwN... both in my top 5 games of all time.

The xbox version is a good start, the controls seem to be a good foundation for a game pad system. Definitely takes getting used to but I do think with some tweaking and a few added optional settings it could be really great. One thing I'm annoyed with is I have the xbox chat pad and i still have to bring up the virtual keyboard to type. (Chat pad types but you have to hit A first which brings up the Virtual Keys and blocks the screen.) Still its much better than a virtual keyboard *cringe*. Another issue I have is the pointer being snapped to items all the time...wish that could be toggled. Its too slow if theres lots of items to move past. Toggle off to be a free moving mouse like pointer. The D-pad right and left are not currently used for anything i don't think...maybe use them as a toggle for different things, even better allow them to be configured as toggles for whatever I want.

Graphically the game could use more levels of ui resizing. Its either huge or tiny. Huge is playable but would like a middle ground. Also need some kind of color saturation adjustment other than just gamma... the colors are so washed out looking.

So as a game I think this port is good, especially once multiplayer is enabled on xbox... not faulting bd for that as I'm sure it was microsoft being extra careful.

Its good, however this is just not NWN yet. Sorry. NWN is all about the community content. I am realizing again just how bland the head models, portraits, weapons, etc are in vanilla nwn... i havent played it in so long without custom content loaded. This will never be true NWN until custom content is available.... and this should be possible just look at skyrim mods on xbox. CEP, PRC, Project q, CRAP, etc, are just as much a part of NWN as anything the (paid) developers created. Those haks and some custom portrait packs etc (atleast) should all be available as selectable. And i hope that eventually any PW with nwsync is playable.

So its a good initial effort by skybound and beamdog but it could be much better with some more options...the heart of NwN.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Thanks for the feedback, @MaximumAC.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    I think the game would be better if the controller could be configured by the player. It doesnt seem to user friendly.
    I do alot of pausing and selecting stuff that way.

I think Beamdog should release some of the best mods made by modders....maybe have a voting poll or something like that.....just my 2 cents.