Skip to content

1.79 patch breaks community content modules - any plans to fix?

CelesTialCelesTial Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12
If this has already been addressed in another thread, I apologize.

The fact that this patch isn't compatible with community mods has been known for months - it was mentioned in the patch notes for the new experimental versions before 1.79 went live. Beamdog has promised us backwards compatibility for the Enhanced Edition - for many players, NWN is ALL about the community content mods.

Is this issue going to be addressed, and is there an ETA on how soon the incompatibility issues will be fixed?

As it stands, people buying the NWN EE for PC have the choice to either avoid the update (if they even know about the issue) and keep playing their community-created single player compaigns, OR be locked out of 99% of the community content to play on persistent worlds that have pushed the update.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hey! Your post doesn't contain any details, and in order to fix supposedly broken things, we need them.

Please report the exact bug at https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals so that we could investigate.
  • CelesTialCelesTial Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2019
    The mods just don't load - it's like they were never downloaded. The files are still in the proper folders, though. I don't have a good enough knowledge of the technical side of things to provide more details, sorry :(

As I said, this issue was already mentioned in official patch notes over the past months, before 1.79 went live. So it shouldn't be a big unknown. I assume it has something to do with files being converted to a new format.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    We haven't broken anything on purpose. I can download modules from the Vault and play them just fine on my machine. If it's a bug we need the details.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Modules work for me too when I download them from Neverwinter Vault.

What in particular is this "mentioned in official patch notes over the past months, before 1.79 went live" are you referring to? What did Beamdog patch in/outhat you are going on about?
    edited December 2019
    Hrm, maybe it's something about my 8 year old computer then. Will try again on a different machine. Everything worked fine before the patch, though... and I've read some posts by others with the same issue, not on this forum but on others. If I see more, I'll direct them here.

I THINK I was referring to this note... it was months ago, though, and my brain is getting old. It's alsp possible it's referring to someone else, I really am not very knowledgeable about all things technical. :pensive:

"Old campain database files written with patch 8187 or earlier cannot be read, as the underlying format has changed."

This was posted for a development build in October.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Navigate to your \Documents\Neverwinter Nights\Database directory and delete any sqlite3 files. Then try loading whatever module you're having trouble with and see if it loads.
    Navigate to your \Documents\Neverwinter Nights\Database directory and delete any sqlite3 files. Then try loading whatever module you're having trouble with and see if it loads.

I've already reverted back to the last game version before the patch, but thanks for this... I'll try it later, or maybe it helps someone else with the same issue.
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    how do we revert if not using steam?
    Ebonstar wrote: »
    how do we revert if not using steam?

No idea, sorry, I'm on Steam.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I have this problem with @Savant1974 's Saga of Aielund. It is no longer playable via the Steam Workshop. The mod is still subscribed, but the game will not read any of the files, causing my saves to fail to load, and the mods don't even appear in the start screen for a new game. Strangely, Shadowcatcher and Demonlords are still working as expected.

I tried reverting to 8186, and it didn't solve the problem, so I have no idea what is going on with Aielund. I suppose I could try manually downloading all the files from the Vault and putting them into the right folders in the Documents/NWN directory, but that takes a very long time to do, and it's time I don't have right now, especially since I don't even want to play NWN right now. (I only started it to test the new version - and yikes!)

Even though Aielund is no longer available to play, which is a huge bummer, since I'm sure I'll want to play it again eventually, it was still worth it to revert to 8186 to get rid of that horrible windowed game mode. (And I don't want to have to remember to press alt-enter every time I start the game, thank you.)

I didn't try to move to see if I was walking instead of running, but I'm definitely unwilling to have to hack my game just to restore running by default.

The new version also caused my interface to shrink to the smallest size. I could select "2" to enlarge it again on *some* of my saved games, but it was reverting back to "1" every single time I started a game.

I'm just glad I'm on Steam so I can still access 8186 where everything worked properly.
    @BelgarathMTH

1. Hit ctrl+shift+F12, and a new set of tabs will appear at the top of your game window.
    2. Click on the Tab marked Config, and a scrolldown menu will appear.
    3. Scroll down until you see the "graphics.window" header, and under that toggle what you need.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1108077/#Comment_1108077

Check out this https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1108130/#Comment_1108130 about the window as well.

4. Make your choice from the selections, then scroll back to the top of the Config Tab.
    6. Look for a button that says Commit. Click on that, and close the game.
    7. Re-open the game. Alt-Enter for Fullscreen.

Most likely you didn't click Commit - this is why it didn't save 2 to enlarge it.
  • BaireswolfBaireswolf Member Posts: 22
    I have just had a problema with last update. Perhaps someone else has pass through the same issue.

Detailed here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77663/problema-loading-module-on-android-after-last-update#latest

Since last update I can't open a working module on android platform. It works fine on steam.

The only modificación made after update was a Minor change in a placeable variable.

I can load a previus versión on android, but as soon as I update the mod on aurora with la test versión and test it on android it doesn't load anymore.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    @Baireswolf You have a good point. Unless new point releases are simultaneous on all platforms, anything made with the latest EE toolset will break somewhere (Android, in your example).

Given that only a few features demand a point release check, perhaps Beamdog could release that subset everywhere at the same time, even if each platform had a slightly different version in other respects.

I'm still using the 1.69 toolset to avoid these issues - wondering about upgrading, but would welcome some reassurance on this issue.
  • BaireswolfBaireswolf Member Posts: 22
    Thanks Proleric. I'm going to try that when I get home.